Solved Filezilla virus taplika "browser"

julia

New Member
Hello,

I downloaded Filezilla last week - unfortunately from the wrong site. Directly afterwards I noticed Taplika in my browser. I removed Taplika from the browsers extensions, since I thought, I just downloaded some program I didn't want. I did not see a warning from my antivirus (avast). I don't know, if I missed it or if it never showed. I used the pc normally for 3-4 days. Didn't notice anything.

Yesterday I tried to uninstall Taplika via programs/features tab, mostly because it seemed to be an annoying add-on, which alreday put an icon in my taskbar. When uninstalling the antivirus warned me about malware and suggested to restart and scan. I clicked ok/restart. The pc tried restarting but crashed and adviced me to restore, which I did. I went directly to the programs tab again and saw that there was even an WSE taplika program which I tried to uninstall as well. The same happened again: warning to restartand scan, crash, restore.

Then the screen went black when entering windows. I shut down a few times, restarted again and sometimes I was lucky and got to my desktop. I tried opening my browser (chrome), nothing, I tried opening firefox and got taplika again.

I shut down and restarted some time later, black screen. At first I could open task manager, but didn't notice anything special (propably because I simply didn't know what to look for...). And now it's only black, if I can get the task manager to open, it says "no active apps".

I saw the other thread by JammerW, who had the same problem, but I don't know where to start trying to repair it, since I can't even get into windows...

Thanks in advance for advice!
 
Helllo,

My name is Argus and and I will be helping you with your computer problems.

Before we begin, please note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • Please do not run any tools until requested ! The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you can't understand something don't hesitate to ask.
  • Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. I will not help you if you do not follow my instructions.




Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Wait for the CD to detect your hardware and load the operating system
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
 
Hi and thanks for the help!

I had some trouble getting the system to boot from CD. I tried several times changing the order in which the system should boot until I had USB CDROM at the top and WINDOWS all the way at the bottom. But still it wouldn't boot from the disk. Then I saw on the top of the page a line that said Boot: UEFI. I knew that UEFI meant that the computer wouldn't start via bios, I didn't know what the alternative LEGACY meant, but I took a chance and got lucky :)

The computer booted from the CD, I got a loading bar that said REATOGO something. But when it was done loading the screen turned blue and there was quite a lot of text about my computer trying to boot from a disk and not the hard disk and that it was infected with a virus and that I should restart and scan it. There wasn't any other option, so I turn it off. Turning back on, the system is bios - or whatever it is, black screen white text like it was before everything started automatically - but it says there is no bootable device and that I should insert a boot disk. I burned another OTLPENet disk, but it didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong?
 
I clicked Ctrl + alt + del and it started booting directly. The Reatogo loading appeared again and when it finished Windows XP sign came up. Now it's blue again warning me of a virus and that windows shut down to prevent damage. It advises me to check for viruses and to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption....
 
nothing I can do: can't write, tried crtl + alt + del, enter, esc, anything but no reaction. Only possibility that I can see is to turn off
 
No luck, I tried Shift with and without F8 several times - even pressing the keys before turning the pc back on - but it tries to boot from disk automatically. Do you have an another method to access safe mode?
 
Maybe should only reinstall windows.
I think that avast made problem.

BTW.
Restore bios to UEFI.
 
Last edited:
I will restore it, if I can get back in. :)

If I would reinstall windows what happens to my personal files? Most of them are in a cloud, but some aren't...
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top