Firefox 13 to Release in Mid-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Mozilla is on a mission. No less than three more Firefox releases will be launched by the end of 2011. Another four will follow in the first half of next year. By mid-2012 Mozilla users will be able to download and run Firefox 13 Final.

Earlier this month, Firefox 6 was made available for download, and early adopters got Firefox 7 Beta, Firefox 8 Aurora, and Firefox 9 Nightly for testing.

Mozilla overhauled its development process and the release cycle of the open source browser after Firefox 4.0 shipped, and the company intends to stick with it.

Users holding their breath, waiting for the good old days of one major Firefox version release per year, should exhale and get comfortable, because they’re in for quite a ride.

Link

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems they are now well planned in releasing so good to see that.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Though I don't see a need for the big number gap between releases, I like the rapid release system.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Though I don't see a need for the big number gap between releases, I like the rapid release system.

Exactly... Major release version numbers should be saved for major changes. Minor fixes should follow the tried and true system of increasing the numbers following the decimal point.

A rapid release schedule does not mean they need to try and match Chromium's crazy numbering scheme... :s

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I don't mind the rapid system just to catch up with Chrome version number.

For me its a very pleased when every major version of Firefox release cause it brings major improvements and fixes or even new features.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:
For me its a very pleased when every major version of Firefox release cause it brings major improvements and fixes or even new features.

But see, that's the point. Now a major version release does not mean major improvements or fixes... Much like in Chromium.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Every release for Chrome has had something major. The last few releases have focused on GPU acceleration and security features.

They don't force the schedule either, they waited almost a full week after the scheduled date to release 13.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
HeffeD said:
Shadow Death said:

Exactly... Major release version numbers should be saved for major changes. Minor fixes should follow the tried and true system of increasing the numbers following the decimal point.

A rapid release schedule does not mean they need to try and match Chromium's crazy numbering scheme... :s

Yes, attempting to play it Chromium-style is falling for Google's "trap" :s, and "fighting" a lost cause. There's no need to try and match the perceived notion that Chromium is better purely because its version numbers are skyrocketing. To me, it's an attempt at marketing game, which should not be the leading reason for rapid release cycle - the stability, speed and improved functionality are. And don't we all benefit from this, regardless of our browser allegiances?

Another point they would need to consider is the corporate market, I think the jury is still out on how their rapid releases would be looked upon by the business - not only would they have to deal with the internal pressure of Agile development in their own business projects, now they would have to anticipate the added complexity and potential project risks associated with every new FF release, and adding time-consuming compatibility-related tasks to the project scope [and ultimately release schedules].

The good news is the intended new features, which to me is what the focus should be really be on. Quote from ghacks.net:

Verdict

Mozilla has a lot in store for Firefox users over the coming release cycles. Some features are really improving the user experience, like the ability to block add-ons and plugins before they make their way into the web browser. Interested users can take a look at the Features listing over at Mozilla Wiki for an extended list of upcoming features.

Full Article

Mozilla Wiki

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Firefox_rapid_release_2_610x772.png

Mozilla has been very clear about its release scheduler...every 6 weeks a new version is released...
Using high numbers on each built is also a marketing strategy , nobody has a problem when Google is doing it but when Mozilla does it , it seems strange because for previous to Chrome they've only manage to reach v3.... :)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I think people just aren't used to it and Chrome also autoupdates so people don't even always realize they've moved up a full version (since Chrome hasn't changed its UI very much in 3 years.)

Firefox has made these updates VERY noticeable with lots of constant UI changes and notifications of extensions being out of date.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Firefox has made these updates VERY noticeable with lots of constant UI changes and notifications of extensions being out of date.
Well that's true..but now the game has changed.This rapid release cycle is ultimately brings a + for the users...New features and new web browser possibilities are now ahead.HTLM 5 is a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.