Advice Request Firefox 57 - Are you a happy user?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
I like it, but it lacks a download manager and sometimes has a high CPU consumption that makes my computer practically unusable. I've got it in "quarantine" because I like it, but at the moment it can't be a good option for me. So I voted "No"

Since some days ago I noticed that FF was using the CPU more than before. But yesterday I went to Options>Performance and tweaked the settings a little and now my laptop's fans are a lot quieter and FF is using from 0% to 16-25% (some of the most intensive CPU work is when watching a video in Facebook)

Last edited:

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Since some days ago I noticed that FF was using the CPU more than before. But yesterday I went to Options>Performance and tweaked the settings a little and now my laptop's fans are a lot quieter and FF is using from 0% to 16-25% (some of the most intensive CPU work is when watching a video in Facebook)
When I open MT (from Windows 10 x64 Falls Creators) and click on the "Alerts" flag, CPU consumption reaches 93%.
In Windows 8.1 Pro x64, consumption is around 16% and in Windows 7 it works perfectly.
I have these three partitions on the same computer, so there are no hardware changes to justify these changes.

However, the main reason for using it for now (or having it as a second/third option) is because there is no good download manager. When Firefox has it, it will be an excellent option for me.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
In Windows 8.1 Pro x64, consumption is around 16% and in Windows 7 it works perfectly.
Windows 8.1 Home here and I did experience that in Quantum beta version, actually it went over 40% a few days ago. Not experiencing it right now.

@GonzitoVir, how many processes did you set in performance?

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
Windows 8.1 Home here and I did experience that in Quantum beta version, actually it went over 40% a few days ago. Not experiencing it right now.

@GonzitoVir, how many processes did you set in performance?
Hi. In my W10 i7 laptop I set it to 5 and I'm using Hardware Acceleration. Before the tweak, it was set to 4. I noticed that when I set it to 7, FF took much more RAM and the CPU work was worse.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I like it, but it lacks a download manager and sometimes has a high CPU consumption that makes my computer practically unusable. I've got it in "quarantine" because I like it, but at the moment it can't be a good option for me. So I voted "No"
Use uget-chrome wrapper, uget webextension by slgobinath and uget. Download python 3.6 x64 and you have got a full fledged download manager and supported on all OS.

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017

Well, It seems that they are solving problems. The high CPU consumption made it unfeasible to run it on my system

Use uget-chrome wrapper, uget webextension by slgobinath and uget. Download python 3.6 x64 and you have got a full fledged download manager and supported on all OS.

Wow! i have to try it, thanks :)

Thanks both of you :) I know what I'm gonna do after dinner. ;) :) (y)

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
I'm using 4 right now. So going from 4 to 5 actually reduced the resource usage?
Hi. In my case it seemed to do the trick.
Before stoping in that "5" value for the Content Process, I tried with six and seven and also disabled the Hardware acceleration but nothing didn't help.
Right now only writing this post and having six other tabs open (UPS Tracking, Lynda, Reddit and two local news websites) is only taking 1.8%-4% CPU (and 1,120 MB in RAM).
Also after making the changes, I closed and reopen FF.

p.s. I also personalized FF with a new theme called Billboard. I don't know if this has an influence too but I mention it just in case.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Have you tried FireMem? It does work. I use it on an old XP box that only has 2 GB.

Never tried this before. Heard about it before when I wasn't using FF. Thanks for the heads up.

I like Quantum, and I am glad Mozilla has made such a large leap forward. Still using Chrome, primarily. FFQ uses so much memory on PCs here it's crazy. This is with heavy browser use. Looking forward to seeing how much FireMem helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.