Advice Request Firefox 57 - Are you a happy user?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Use uget-chrome wrapper, uget webextension by slgobinath and uget. Download python 3.6 x64 and you have got a full fledged download manager and supported on all OS.

Yes it works perfectly, it has been a bit tedious, when there are other applications that are easier to install. The important thing is that it downloads very fast and also torrents. The only thing I don't like is that the download is not direct, you have to confirm it, but it's a minor hassle.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge:)

I change my vote to Yes, now I can enjoy FF perfectly and with very low CPU consumption. All good news :)

zykrglT.png

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes it works perfectly, it has been a bit tedious, when there are other applications that are easier to install. The important thing is that it downloads very fast and also torrents. The only thing I don't like is that the download is not direct, you have to confirm it, but it's a minor hassle.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge:)

I change my vote to Yes, now I can enjoy FF perfectly and with very low CPU consumption. All good news :)

zykrglT.png
You can right click on all category and change max connections to 16 and download destination as well.
Thank you for confirming.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I tried quantum and I can't use it. But I tried chrome for the first time back in 2011 and since then I havent looked back

everytime I try FF just feels clunky and unpolished to be. Under the hood and GUI wise.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I tried quantum and I can't use it. But I tried chrome for the first time back in 2011 and since then I havent looked back

everytime I try FF just feels clunky and unpolished to be. Under the hood and GUI wise.

Agreed. Every time I launch FF 57 it crashes. Unless it was one of my two add-ons, it makes no sense. It is indeed clunky and not polished. It is a shame because for many many years I was a die hard Firefox user. I plan to stick with Google Chrome.

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Agreed. Every time I launch FF 57 it crashes. Unless it was one of my two add-ons, it makes no sense. It is indeed clunky and not polished. It is a shame because for many many years I was a die hard Firefox user. I plan to stick with Google Chrome.
Being a new engine, normal to contain some crashes, high CPU usage and etc., Firefox needs a little more time to get organized with it, but they are on the right track.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
No one seems to mind not being able to customize their browsers.

And the new Quantum engine is scarcely an improvement over the old one.

When tech companies abandon something that works, they're not on the right track.

Or if its really worthwhile, it will take years to be realized.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
GonzitoVir wrote (post #30):
"p.s. I also personalized FF with a new theme called Billboard. I don't know if this has an influence too but I mention it just in case."

- yes, this has an influence, different themes have different weights... my theme (in Manage your add-ons/Appareance) is "Starry Space Fantasy" by MandyLaila and I don't have these problems. Sure I use Firefox ESR 52.5.3... bur rarely, cause mainly I use FF 55 Nightly (Basilisk)...

DavidLMO wrote (post #33):
"Playing with Cliqz which has a lot to offer and is based on FF code"

-well, found on Firefox CLIQZ add-on: Reviews for Cliqz – search directly in your browser – Add-ons for Firefox - these cute reviews:

"malware

This addon was shipped and activated automatically in my firefox 57 beta installation. After reading the mozilla privacy notice about the cliqz "feature", I consider the addon as malware and I'm pretty upset about the automatic installation.
Some quotes from the privacy notice about the data to be transfered to cliqz:
"Search Queries and Webpage Data to Cliqz: This includes text as you type in the URL bar, queries you send to certain search engines, and data about the webpages you visit and interactions with those pages, such as mouse movements, scrolls, and time spent.
Interaction Data to Cliqz: This includes your interactions with specific fields and buttons in the Cliqz feature. This data is tied to a unique identifier allowing Cliqz to understand performance over time.
Interaction Data to Mozilla: This includes counts of visits to search engine pages, which search engines you use, and your Cliqz identifier.
Location Data to Cliqz: This includes your location whenever you open a new window or type in the URL bar. You may opt-out of location sharing in the Cliqz Settings menu in the URL bar.
" as you can see here: Firefox by default shares data to:"

another user, comment:

"Unwanted garbage installs without warning - malware?

After upgrading to Firefox 55 and restarting, I noticed that it had gotten a small 'facelift.' The search bar had disappeared and the green "Cliqz" button showed up in its place. Wow! How great! Except that I DIDN'T ASK for it. Upon doing a bit of searching, I found Mozilla-"Cliqz" privacy policy, where it says that Mozilla shares pretty much everything about what you search with this obscure company. No thanks! Removed immediately and site blocked. If Firefox keeps pulling crap like this, I might as well switch to a different browser. And thanks for changing my search settings!"

"Only 3 star because Cliqz remove favicons of many websites (or replace with textual icon like FO, KO, MI...)"

"hijacks the ctrl-k shortcut and has medium Impact on framerate when i'm not even using it (even with Anti-Tracking, Anti-Phishing, and Human Web all turned off)"

So what you think about

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
On one of the websites I found an article saying what you need to do if you want to speed up Firefox 57.x a little bit and make it less chatty.
First set these settings in about:config to false:

browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.telemetry
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry
browser.ping-centre.telemetry
toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.bhrPing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.firstShutdownPing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.newProfilePing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.reportingpolicy.firstRun
toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.unified
toolkit.telemetry.updatePing.enabled

Then you need to set toolkit.telemetry.server to blank instead of https://incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org
And last what you need to do is to disarm experiments which can be remotely enabled by Mozilla - just set to false below mentioned settings in about:config:

experiments.activeExperiment
experiments.enabled
experiments.supported
network.allow-experiments

That's all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.