Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Firefox 6, based on Gecko 6.0, will ship in the third quarter of 2011.
Nightly builds of what will become Firefox 6 are currently available on the Aurora channel (that is, mozilla-aurora).

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Following in the footsteps of Chrome? I remember how long it took them to release FF 4 . FF 5 isn't "officially" out yet, and Mozilla is already announcing FF 6. I wonder if they are going to make any major changes, but its kinda hard to make changes when you are releasing a new version of your browser every three months.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
TKFlight said:
Following in the footsteps of Chrome? I remember how long it took them to release FF 4 . FF 5 isn't "officially" out yet, and Mozilla is already announcing FF 6. I wonder if they are going to make any major changes, but its kinda hard to make changes when you are releasing a new version of your browser every three months.
+1! I have the same thoughts ....This isn't Mozilla style ... From 2004 through 2011 Firefox reached build no. 4 and now because of Chrome's style, Mozilla has suddenly discovered a new way of counting .... :p

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
This is ridiculous, Firefox 5 hasn't even released yet and they're already announcing Firefox 6? I was surprised how fast Avast 6 came out of Beta, but that pales in comparison to this.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Firefox 5 was released through FTP servers although its not yet appeared in their homepage. Maybe its their roadmap and it has been planned.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mozilla already said that Firefox 5, Firefox 6 and Firefox 7 will all be wrapped up and offered to the users in 2011.... so we shouldn't be surprised if in two months or so, we will see a nightly build for Firefox 7.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
So pretty much FF 5,6, and 7 will be FF 4 with a few bug/security fixes? Sounds like a waste.

G

Guest28

The reason for this is for many reasons. I don't think it's ridiculous hackers are finding new ways to hack browsers and make changes. more updating and changes are needed more.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
When Mozilla announced this new update process they said one of the reasons was because by waiting for a whole new build like they had been doing users lost out on new features that Mozilla had been sitting on for a while. Under their old build process if a new feature came out you would have to wait for the next FF build just to get it. Under this current setup you will most likely see the new feature in a matter of weeks instead of months. This gets the features to the user faster.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
The thing I don't get is why they just don't label they're version as 4.1, 4.2 etc. (or something similar). This could confuse people and I doubt they would make enough changes to call it a completely new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.