Firefox 77.0.1 released to fix one issue

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Mozilla plans to release Firefox 77.0.1 to the Stable channel later today. The new version of the web browser comes just a day after the release of Firefox 77.0 Stable on June 2, 2020.

While it is not uncommon for Mozilla to release a smaller update shortly after a major version update, the time between a major release and a bug fix release is usually a good indicator of the importance of the update.

The release notes list a single bug:
Disabled automatic selection of DNS over HTTPS providers during a test to enable wider deployment in a more controlled way
The linked bug, 1642723, provides additional insight on the fix. According to its assignee and other contributors, the fix "prefs-off a feature" related to Firefox's rollout of DNS over HTTPS that caused network strain on the network of the provider NextDNS.
We need to be able to roll this out gradually so that we don't overload any providers. Even the dry-run involves up to 10 requests per client which can be very significant when the entire release population updates.
NextDNS is one of the providers that Mozilla selected for inclusion as a default HTTPS over DNS providers in the Firefox web browser.
This prefs-off a feature that seems to be effectively DDoS'ing NextDNS, one of our DNS over HTTPs providers. This patch is blocking the rollout of Fx77.
DNS over HTTPS is a new security and privacy feature that is being rolled out in Firefox, and also available in other browsers. Most browser makers, e.g. Google, plan to introduce support for DNS over HTTPS this year. Microsoft has integrated the feature in the company's Windows 10 operating system as well recently.

Mozilla stopped the rollout of Firefox 77.0 Stable because of the bug. The organization created a patch and plans to release it on June 3, 2020 to the Firefox Stable population.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Thanks for the info. It was very annoying.

New version has also problems with some onw configuration. I use a custom policy file. Apparently new version doesn't like all the setting. Browsing speed is slow. Also having problems with some extensions such as Temporary containers. I started to use a new policy file based on ghacks user script.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried FF 77.0.1, the new address bar is not bad, but Mozilla can improve it with positive user feedback.

The sharp edges of the focused address bar doesn't really suit the overall UI of the browser. Perhaps a curved corner may be more appealing.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I tried FF 77.0.1, the new address bar is not bad, but Mozilla can improve it with positive user feedback.

The sharp edges of the focused address bar doesn't really suit the overall UI of the browser. Perhaps a curved corner may be more appealing.

Maybe they want to put it in focus, but execution of it is straight up moronic. Because highlight of URL bar edges is apparently not enough. It has to enlarge itself several pixels in all directions, literally overlapping other elements in Firefox like icons left and right of the URL bar, tabs on top of it and bookmarks below it in Bookmarks Bar.

If they want a focus on the URL bar, what's wrong with the way everyone else does it by changing its white or grey borders into blue. And if that's still to subtle, make a glow surrounding effect that highlights the URL bar extensively, but isn't just enlarged URL bar. A glow like effect around URL bar of the size of new URL bar would be more pleasant to the eyes and still of similar size. But no, here I am, a literal nobody telling this to a company that has been doing browsers for decades because they are clearly incapable. What the F.

Reactions: South Park

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Oh, and the big URL bar would be somewhat bearable if it at least closed when you clicked anywhere outside of it. Instead it only shrinks and closes the dropdown menu when you click in the webpage area. Clicking on bookmarks bar, tabs, window title (empty tab space) or the toolbar, nothing happens and the URL bar and its drop down menu just stay there like they are dumb. And i can already tell you Mozilla will not change or improve this behavior for god knows what reason.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Of course, the latest changes on the address-bar is a bad move from Mozilla, it's probably annoying to a lot of users, but to me personally it's even more annoying to read every day again that some people still complaining about that, the solution is simple just switch to another browser...

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Thanks for the info. It was very annoying.

New version has also problems with some onw configuration. I use a custom policy file. Apparently new version doesn't like all the setting. Browsing speed is slow. Also having problems with some extensions such as Temporary containers. I started to use a new policy file based on ghacks user script.
I had been updating FF for about a year with the same profile, but I had noticed some sluggishness with 76, so I backed up the extension settings and created a new profile from scratch. (I also replaced Tampermonkey with the more-recommended Violentmonkey.) The profile folder is now about half the size it was before, and many extensions, like Multithreaded Download Manager, are now working better for me, though I can't say the browser is actually any faster.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.