Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
memory peaks while Firefox is open
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
disabling plug-ins
I have found that Firefox is draining a lot ofmemory running multiple instances. Even when I only have one single window/tab open there are multiple Firefox instances active:

a4ea99bc.jpg

Tried to figure it out if some were to be considered from plug-in but was unfortunate, is this a normal situation?

L

Local Host

Every browser uses multiple processes. Firefox actually uses less in that regard. All chromium based browsers uses separate processe for each tab and extension. This is for security purpose, sanboxing. Firefox will eventually do this too in the future.
He only has 1 tab open and 6 instances, while consuming 600MB of RAM. While I have 4 tabs open in Chrome, with 7 instances, while consuming 200MB of RAM.

The argument of Firefox consuming less RAM than Chrome instantly dies (considering one of the tabs is running a youtube video).

As the others state this is normal behaviour, nothing to troubleshoot here.

Reactions: shmu26 and roger_m
Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
He only has 1 tab open and 6 instances, while consuming 600MB of RAM. While I have 4 tabs open in Chrome, with 7 instances, while consuming 200MB of RAM.

The argument of Firefox consuming less RAM than Chrome instantly dies (considering one of the tabs is running a youtube video).

As the others state this is normal behaviour, nothing to troubleshoot here.
I know about that. I wasn't talking about ram usage, I was talking about multiprocess and how Chrome and Firefox's technique is different from each other. I have 27 extensions enabled on my Firefox Beta and there's 20 more which are disabled. Even with no tabs at startup it's using 466mb of ram. Firefox's claim about less ram usage than Chrome is misleading. Firefox uses less ram when more than 20 tabs are open but I think rarely average people open 20 tabs at a time. So, Chrome uses less ram on average most of the time.
But I don't mind the ram usage. I have 8gb ram and that's more than enough for me. Ram are meant to be used. I don't do heavy multitasking so I'm not bothered by it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.