Advice Request Firefox introduces extension that automatically censors “hate speech”

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Mozilla seems to be replacing innovation and investment in software development with virtue signaling. That doesn’t look like a road leading to anywhere in particular: Firefox browser’s existing user base might be turned off by the lack of focus on technical improvements of the browser itself, while luring in Chrome users with wokeness alone seems like a massive uphill battle.

In this context, the last thing we need is segregation of women into “safe language spaces” – through none other than Mozilla’s several years ago controversially rewritten add-ons system.

But that’s what we’re getting.

Most of your average early adopters and supporters of Firefox and Mozilla over the many years only really have this one hope for these entities these days: live up to the promise of promoting an open, web standards-compliant internet, that makes participation accessible to everyone.

We want a browser that is technically advancing, actively trying to replace the clunky rendering engine at its core, i.e., improving, instead of declining into oblivion against the competition of Google’s Chrome.

But in the market reality, what we see is Firefox – that once victoriously put Microsoft’s Internet Explorer in its place through the sheer strength of technical merit – flat-lining at the bottom of the chart, ironically along with Microsoft’s latest offering, “Edge” – more ironically still, based on Google’s Blink/Chrome engine.

So what does Mozilla do – that foundation for years bankrolled by Google’s hundreds of millions of ad dollars, possibly simply as a way for the giant to prove that Chrome browser is not a monopoly, because there’s another, barely alive though it may be, called Firefox?

Mozilla hits its users with the “Firefox B!tch to Boss” extension. There’s nothing “boss” about it though – women here are treated like old-timey “damsels in distress” that need somebody else to help them cope in the world (this time, on the internet) – like comments and “harassing language” (including the word “b!tch” in the name of the very extension, maybe?)

Meanwhile, Mozilla promises to alter reality for its women users (NO THANKS). But for anyone who might want it, Mozilla will replace words like “bitch” (but apparently not only) with “boss.”
Source: Firefox introduces extension that automatically censors "hate speech"

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Don't they have something better to do, like work on their browser sandboxing etc. ? 🤔
Only released because today is Women's Day and we will never hear of this extension again.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I'd be interested to know Mozilla's criteria for determining when something is hate speech. Tech doesn't seem to have a very good track record for censorship.
That's simple. Their woke censors will classify the speech that they hate as "hate speech". Honk!

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Good thing it's just an extension. If it was a working part of the browser, I'd have to find a replacement. My posts, whether on Farcebook, Twitter, or a couple of other sites are far from tolerant. I have no use for the 'woke,' progressive, liberal left crowd - and the dislike extends to my posts which I'm sure the FF extension would find offensive.

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Omg, Mozzila, it's better to create and run courses on how not to attach importance to someone else's opinion for teenagers than to try to hide the disadvantages of this world ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.