Advice Request Firefox + Kaspersky error: "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Maybe I didn't understand what this section is about so if anyone feels I'm out of place here please let me know.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 and Firefox V51 (32 bit version but 64 bit Windows 7 OS...does this matter?) and after a clean install I get the error: "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER" or "Your connection is not secure". I know I need to go to Kaspersky settings --> Additional --> Network --> Encrypted Connections Scanning --> Do Not Scan Encrypted Connections. This will make it all work, but it makes me vulnerable.

Now I was reading the MalwareTips Kaspersky setup guide and it says to keep it in the "Scan Encrypted Connections upon request from protection components" option and then install certificates, but this didn't work for me. I had Firefox shut down as recommended.

I also have Kaspersky add on on Firefox, don't know if that has any influence.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks!

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Don't worry if you have to disable Scan Encrypted Connections. It won't make you vulnerable. You still have other components, if it's disabled.

But, yeah, your problem should be solved, regardless whether you want the option enabled or not. :)

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Anyway that's so strange, FireFox is my main browsers and use it even with "always scan encrypted connections", and not getting that issue...

Check You don't have more than 1 "Kaspersky root certificate" in FireFox -> Certificates -> Authorities.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Anyway that's so strange, FireFox is my main browsers and use it even with "always scan encrypted connections", and not getting that issue...

Check You don't have more than 1 "Kaspersky root certificate" in FireFox -> Certificates -> Authorities.
You mean by going to Firefox options-->Avanced-->Certificates-->View Certificates? Couldn't find anything related to Kaspersky in that long list...

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Yes, in tab "Authorities" You should have there 1 "Kaspersky Root Certificate", if You don't have it, then import it manually from:
Did you copy that from your own computer? Because my folders are mostly named in a different way and I'm having trouble finding it but I'll keep trying.

EDIT: never mind I forgot to enable viewing hidden files...D'UUHHHH ;)

After that just check first check box?

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not sure, but I add this certificate manually also to my ThenderBird (the same method than FireFox) client and tick the 3 ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.