Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Source: Firefox: display the bookmarks toolbar only on the New Tab Page - gHacks Tech News

by Martin Brinkmann on October 27, 2020 in Firefox

Mozilla added a new feature to the Firefox Nightly version of the web browser that lets users display the browser's Bookmarks Toolbar only on the New Tab Page, if wanted.

The Bookmarks Toolbar is a long-standing feature of the Firefox web browser (in fact most browsers). It is a special toolbar that displays bookmarks to the user on the browser's frontend when it is enabled.

1603811891743.png

Firefox supports displaying folders and individual bookmarks, and users have options to display the toolbar permanently in the browser or access bookmarks from the Menu Bar (hidden by default), the Bookmarks library, or keywords.

Keywords may require a bit of explaining as the functionality has been hidden deeply in Firefox by Mozilla. Similar to assigning keywords to search engines to run searches from the address bar using these keywords, keywords assigned to bookmarks allow users to load the sites by typing the keyword in the browser's address bar and hitting Enter.

Firefox supports displaying folders and individual bookmarks, and users have options to display the toolbar permanently in the browser or access bookmarks from the Menu Bar (hidden by default), the Bookmarks library, or keywords.

Keywords may require a bit of explaining as the functionality has been hidden deeply in Firefox by Mozilla. Similar to assigning keywords to search engines to run searches from the address bar using these keywords, keywords assigned to bookmarks allow users to load the sites by typing the keyword in the browser's address bar and hitting Enter.

The change leads to an interesting question: how many browser users are still using bookmarks? My personal use of bookmarks has slowed down considerable in recent years. While I still use a set of bookmarks and add the occasional site to the bookmarks, I find myself using them less and less when I'm using web browsers.

Firefox Nightly is currently at version 84. It takes two major releases to get Firefox Stable to catch up to Nightly to get the feature. Firefox 84 Stable is scheduled to be released on December 15, 2020.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
It's not really needed in Firefox. It's possible to add any sites in the "Top Sites" section of Firefox's home page.
It goes from each one, I already like things in front of me ready, do not keep going on menu and menu.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It goes from each one, I already like things in front of me ready, do not keep going on menu and menu.
You only need to change everything once and never again. Even for any speed dial extensions, a user will have to add their required sites to the speed dial first.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.