Advice Request Firefox slow startup for the past year with Bitdefender

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

markstitovits

Level 2
Thread author
Sep 13, 2022
I'm using Bitdefender Total Security for the past year while also using Librewolf(fork of Firefox). Every time I boot up my computer and start Librewolf, it takes up to a minute to actually launch. This doesn't only happen with Librewolf but with every Firefox fork, even with Tor. It also doesn't matter if my computer just booted up or has been running for hours. I click it and nothing happens for a minute. I need advice with this as I don't know what to do with this and I don't find anything useful online either. I also only noticed this behavior with Bitdefender BUT I didn't notice it with Bitdefender Free.

Technical details:
Computer specs:
  • Asus P8Z68-V LX
  • Intel core i5 2320
  • NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 TI
  • 8GBx4(16GB) DDR3 CL16
  • 120GB SSD; 2TB Hard Drive; 2TB External Hard Drive

LibrewolfAddons:
  • Bitwarden
  • NoScript
  • uBlock Origin

Bitdefender Web Protection Settings:
1670150846215.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I think its better to ask that question in BD forum ??
With BD free no problem here.

Reactions: oldschool

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
Cliffs for those uninterested in my life story: Me too.

I always liked Bitdefender Free due to it's effectiveness and set it and forget it functionality. Starting around 20 years ago I put it on my, friends, and associate's personal computers. Around 10 years ago after reading our Government was unable (obstensibly) to circumvent Comodo Free's firewall I added Comodo Security Suite as an option with default settings (loved it's firewall and HIPS) on mine and then certain friends computers based on the backlash I received regarding levels of user interaction. Some of that backlash was sharp and if any of you happen to be reading this you're all welcome. About 3 years ago the owner of my company with Comodo Security Suite Free and work related classified data on his work/home laptop clicked on a link in an email he felt was bogus (remember, the owner) and 2 months later complained to me how slow his computer had gotten. Except for that one zero day(?) that slipped past the goalie to my knowledge there were no other problems throughout the years (zero with Bitdefender). I switched us back to Bitdefender w/CFW. No longer in that work environment I grew tired of Bitdefender's all around performance hits but especially with file transfers to an external USB ssd reduced to ~84 MBps from 320 MBps . Then the clouds parted, the sun shone down, and I found Windows Defender hardened (ty Andy Ful), cruelsister's Comodo firewall configuration (ty cruelsister), and AppCheck. Coupled with a healthy dose of paranoia, I finally find myself at peace with the world.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I had the same problem with Bitdefender. If you use a basic installation of Firefox you don't have a problem. If you use a customization scripts like Arkenfox, Bitdefender has a problem with the certificate there are using. The set an override setting so their certificate is used in the browser. I opened a support call but there was no fix because I was using a custom script. LibreWolf is using the Arkenfox setting so they have the same problem. I found a fix to solve the problem but with an update of Bitdefender the slow startup of Firefox was back. So I removed Bitdefender and the slow startup of Firefox was gone. I switched back to an other security product.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2022 and dont notice any delay with Firefox or Librewolf, I will try to reproduce this behavior.

Anyway I would try to disable the "Anti tracker" and "Password Manager" features to see if there is any change.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.