Hot Take Firefox Tooltip bug fixed by Yifan Zhu student

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bugzilla: 148624 - (tooltip-ghost) Tooltips persist in foreground when Firefox is in background

Yifan Zhu, who wrote the patch to Firefox's Tooltip Listener, wrote to Ars that they first encountered the bug in Thunderbird on Linux, as "seemingly random segments of text floating on my screen." Switching frequently between virtual desktops left subject lines floating on their screen, which was "extremely annoying." Zhu learned to switch back to either Firefox or Thunderbird and move their cursor before switching back.

But it grew on them, so they researched and sought to submit the bug, but "To my horror, I realized this bug report has been open for more than 20 years, and still hasn't been fixed." Because it was "a minor 'cosmetic' issue not causing crashes," there was a good chance nobody would fix it—"Unless I do it myself," Zhu wrote.
Story via How a 23-year-old first-time Firefox coder fixed a 22-year-old bug
Credits: Yifan Zhu

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.