Troubleshoot Firefox Ublock origin Memory Leak

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
Hey all, im having a problem with Ublock Origin in Firefox 55.
I have firefox in 2 differents PCs, and in both i have memory leak when firefox takes 90% of my memory (i have 4Gb in both PCs) and it takes long time (5-10 minutes + the time it get to all the other apps to work again because FF takes its ram) to get back to normal. I only have 4 extentions in common between both PCs: Disconnect, Forecastfox (fix version) Privacy settings and Ublock origin. After desactivating a lot of extentions (not just the ones i mention) i see that when Ublock is on, i have memory leaks (first i thought that one of the privacy setting configs was causing it).
I have all filters activated and updated except for: Ublock filters - experimentals, Fanboys anti-thirdparty social and the ones from languages
Is anyone having this problem? I never had problems with Ublock untill i update to firefox to 55.0.x

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Upvote 0

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I have memory leak when Ublock was uninstalled and some pages take all my ram, anyway, what version of Ublock you have? There was known conflicts with 1.38 and latest version is 1.14.8 as far as I know
You say that only when ublock is on, so I suppose that you compared with Ublock uninstalled and you make your tests on some pages with no others extensions and then only with ublock (try default filters).
In case that with only Ublock installed and with default filters is ok, maybe there is some conflict with extension and/or with some of your filters.
Also, I suggest to clean your cache before do something in order to try what's the problem and the browser is as deafult config

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I have Ublock 1.14.8. I test with only disconnect and forecastfox activated and didnt have any leaks. I think i have to try unchecking filters to see if there one causing troubles...

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
It was too good to be truth... it didnt work, i open firefox, go to ublock settings and boom, 3Gb of ram. I think ill disable it for now and change to other adblocker. Its hard to find the solution when i cant touch the settings without a massive leak.

Upvote 0

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
It was too good to be truth... it didnt work, i open firefox, go to ublock settings and boom, 3Gb of ram. I think ill disable it for now and change to other adblocker. Its hard to find the solution when i cant touch the settings without a massive leak.
If that is the case - AdBlock Plus & Diconnect & HTTPS Everywhere Together Are Good Combo.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.