Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Howdy guys, I'm having a problem with Firefox on Windows 8.

Randomly the keyboard will not work on it but will work with all other programs.

I have tried running Firefox in safe mode with all add-ons disabled and disabled hardware acceleration and still the keyboard will not work.

After I restart my system, then the keyboard will work for a short period then randomly just stop working.

I'm just using Windows Defender with Windows Firewall and default UAC.

I have tried searching and I can't find any answers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Good day.:D
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
McLovin said:
Have you tried a different keyboard? That could be the problem.
It is not the keyboard or it wouldn't work with all other programs.

Not even the touch keyboard included with Windows 8 will work with Firefox.

Thanks for your suggestion.:D
 

3link9

Level 5
Verified
I have ran into that problem with FF a couple of times... but eventually it did start to work after a PC restart or a FF reinstall. Give it a shot if you didn't already. Although It never happened to me on Windows 8 as I only use IE10 on Windows 8.
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
3link9 said:
I have ran into that problem with FF a couple of times... but eventually it did start to work after a PC restart or a FF reinstall. Give it a shot if you didn't already. Although It never happened to me on Windows 8 as I only use IE10 on Windows 8.
Already re-installed Firefox twice and the keyboard will work for awhile then randomly stops working. At least I can run the Firefox installer to temporary fix the problem without having to reboot.

I have nothing running but the default process, AMD Vision Engine Control Center, VIA HD Audio Deck and HostsMan with Hosts Server.

I installed all of the latest drivers for my ASUS motherboard and AMD chipset.

This is driving me crazy.

Thanks.:D
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Umbra Corp. said:
What happen if Win Defender and UAC are disabled?
It appears to have no effect.

I'm stating to believe this has to be a Firefox bug on Windows 8, I don't have this problem on Windows 7 (same system with dual-boot).

Thanks.:D
 
D

Deleted member 178

i have FF18 on Windows 8 , no issues on my side:

did you try to use a variant of FF (waterfox, FF beta/aurora/nightly) to see if the issue is still there?
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
After the last re-install of Firefox this problem with the keyboard has not happened again, maybe resolved hopefully. I have no idea what could have caused this strange behavior.

Thanks.:D
 
P

Plexx

Littlebits said:
Howdy guys, I'm having a problem with Firefox on Windows 8.

Randomly the keyboard will not work on it but will work with all other programs.

I have tried running Firefox in safe mode with all add-ons disabled and disabled hardware acceleration and still the keyboard will not work.

After I restart my system, then the keyboard will work for a short period then randomly just stop working.

I'm just using Windows Defender with Windows Firewall and default UAC.

I have tried searching and I can't find any answers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Good day.:D
Looks like it is happening on windows 7 as well according to this.

With the latest Firefox, I keep having crashes every now and again out of nowhere and only solution is still resetting Firefox. Doesn't bother me much as I hardly use it but still annoying.



If it happens again, try resetting the Firefox to see if it works out.
Wish Mozilla didn't adopt Google's version deployment doctrine.
 

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Ran into the same problem again with me, Thankfully after I reinstalled it twice, its fine so far.

I really wish Firefox would stop this rapid release thing they have going on to keep up with chrome.
All its doing is making it worse and I think Microsoft got tired of baking cakes XD
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
I spoke too soon, the problem with the keyboard not working is back again. This time running the installer did not fix the issue.

I guess I will just use Google Chrome and IE on Windows 8 until a solution comes up.

Thanks.:D
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
[Update] I have found a solution for this problem.
When using Firefox and all at once your keyboard will not work, hit the Windows key on your keyboard. You may have to hold it for a second and release it. Then without having to restart Firefox the keyboard starts to work again.

Completely crazy but works..:s

Enjoy!!:D
 
P

Plexx

Didn't Reset FF work?

To Reset Firefox do the following:

Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Biozfear said:
Didn't Reset FF work?

To Reset Firefox do the following:

Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
No Reset didn't do anything but mess up my personal settings.

Also this same issues applies to Waterfox, it is definitely a Mozilla bug.

How could the Windows key on your keyboard have anything to do with Firefox?

Enjoy!!:D
 

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Since reading your issue on the 22nd, I have purposely used Waterfox 18.0.1 for the past 2 days, It's now the 24th for me and I have not had any issues what so ever, Perhaps I'm just lucky but that Mozilla support article says otherwise as it is definitely an issue, I'll continue using Waterfox 18.0.1 and if I come across any issues with the keyboard etc I'll let you know. Thanks.
 
D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:
Since reading your issue on the 22nd, I have purposely used Waterfox 18.0.1 for the past 2 days, It's now the 24th for me and I have not had any issues what so ever, Perhaps I'm just lucky but that Mozilla support article says otherwise as it is definitely an issue, I'll continue using Waterfox 18.0.1 and if I come across any issues with the keyboard etc I'll let you know. Thanks.
i was using FF and WF latest version even before your issue happened and i didn't have it.

may i ask you what addons you are using?
 

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
The only thing I have encountered keyboard wise in Windows 8 is my illuminated keyboard doesnt work but it doesnt light up for everything but it still works on Waterfox 18.0.1

I was going to suggest the keyboard layout was maybe changed but looking back I see Alex has a link posted with a fix for that.It doesnt seem like that would be the problem anyway if it sometimes works
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
This Firefox bug could be related to AMD USB chipset drivers. Unless someone can verify that it also happens with Intel and other chipsets.

It has nothing to do with add-ons because it even happens in safe mode with all add-ons disabled. It has nothing to do with corrupt profile because I created two new clean profiles at default configuration with no add-ons and still had the problem.

It is not a keyboard layout problem because my keyboard works perfectly with all other browsers, notepad, wordpad, Sticky Notes, paint, calculator, etc. Firefox/Waterfox are the only applications that has this issue.

But the Windows key will enable your keyboard in Firefox after it randomly gets disabled.

Thanks.:D
 

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Littlebits said:
This Firefox bug could be related to AMD USB chipset drivers. Unless someone can verify that it also happens with Intel and other chipsets.
Nope, Its happening on my Intel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top