Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Being on topic:

Even though I got ESET, I am still using windows firewall with WFC. Yes ESET would have had better protection but if you set WF right you could have 75% of what ESET would give you. I have my firewall set so that nothing goes out to the internet unless I approve it.

The only thing that I would say that would be be missing is IDS but I could be wrong though.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
The biggest disadvantage of Windows Firewall is, that any software can add rules at will.
Since Glasswire Paid actually asks to connect, I guess that it fixes that "little" loophole.
I'm sure that WFC can also fix that loophole as well:

upload_2017-12-2_22-16-49.png

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Windows firewall is good enough.
A free, simple and powerful firewall is ZoneAlarm, yes, uglyer than an old sock and with poor management of P2P software.
Glasswire is a beautiful GUI and very simple operation. Simply with the right button you allow or deny the connections, but on the third day, it seems like a waste of time and I always uninstall it.

For normal use, in my opinion, there is nothing better than Windows Firewall, so I give it my vote

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Why can't everyone just give the OP an answer to his poll.
Well, that is what the poll is for, comments are just to supplement that decision in detail.
I voted Glasswire, but that goes for the paid version, free one is useless, even dangerous.

P.S.: But I understand the outrage, sometimes comments go too far offtopic, ignoring the topic entirely.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Better go Binisoft or WinPatrol Firewall both offer Lifetime license.
Binisoft is a steal for 10$ for a lifetime license. Just to be fair i have to mention: If you are fast you can still get a lifetime license for glasswire ( rumors are the are discontinuing the sale of lifetime licenses in the future, atleast i read it her on this forum somewhere). For me glasswire is about an average 3% cpu use on a intel 2500k vs binisoft shown as none (atleast thats what procces lasso tells me).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For me glasswire is about an average 3% cpu use on a intel 2500k vs binisoft shown as none (atleast thats what procces lasso tells me).
Indeed, the same on mine, that is the price for the beautiful GUI and nice features. I would go for Sphinx instead (since Binisoft is broken on all my PCs).

Reactions: AtlBo

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Used extensively ESET firewall: did not like as it required more work than anything to get it fully going.

Have not used Glass so cannot comment on it

Windows Firewall: works just fine as it core. Some may prefer bells and whistles that other solutions add into Windows Firewall, but at its core, it does what it says in the tint.

Personally I prefer WF over ESET. If i had other options: Kaspersky or McAfee Endpoint Security firewall version.

Used extensively ESET firewall: did not like as it required more work than anything to get it fully going.

Have not used Glass so cannot comment on it

Windows Firewall: works just fine as it core. Some may prefer bells and whistles that other solutions add into Windows Firewall, but at its core, it does what it says in the tint.

Personally I prefer WF over ESET. If i had other options: Kaspersky or McAfee Endpoint Security firewall version.

The ESET GUI is "old school" or whatever you wish to call it. One cannot sort or search the rules, but if you learn and memorize all the default rules everything is in there. It is just that working with the GUI is a real pain.

The OP is better off with Windows Firewall and adding a front-end GUI for outbound notifications unless they are going to use public Wifi a lot - and in that case - they should be looking at a quality paid VPN if they are doing financial transactions\personal data stuff instead of a firewall. Windows Firewall with front-end GUI + VPN for public Wifi - but I don't know why anyone would do financial transactions on unsecured networks - but there are those that like to live dangerously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows Firewall doesnt really need a front end GUI to add more features/control, in my opinion. it works perfectly fine as it is.

Every solution has a different GUI approach. McAfee firewalls for home use vs endpoint use are totally different. Same with Symantec for example.

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.