Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eset Firewall

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I voted Windows Firewall but I use Tiny Wall as it's front end. I am using the latest insider update 17046 and it doesn't seem to be broken yet.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Windows Firewall doesnt really need a front end GUI to add more features/control, in my opinion. it works perfectly fine as it is.
I would agree if you are unconcerned about outgoing connections. But that is a risk I prefer to avoid. So Binisoft's WFC is a simple way to set rules for Windows Firewall (though you can make it complex if you choose to).

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and Andytay70

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Tweaking.com - (Right Click) Allow, Block or Remove - Windows Firewall
Firewall app blocker

these 2 apps can help us to create rules for WF, too
IMO, WFC is good but it consumes more resources than more advanced firewalls, such as comodo firewall (just use the firewall component solely)

Windows firewall is good enough for daily usage but it's not really easy to create rules and monitoring blocked package is very confusing

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
A bit weird to see ESET there as a standalone firewall. If you have ESET or you are willing to buy ESET, then it's really non-sense that you disable ESET's built-in firewall to add another one. It's pretty solid and easy to use, and can be very efficient. Stick with it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
IMO, WFC is good but it consumes more resources than more advanced firewalls, such as comodo firewall (just use the firewall component solely)
WFC_SS.png

Never seen it higher than that, this is the lowest in it's class by far from my experience, and I have tried
all of them to date. Do you like comodo ?, does it work well for you ?
For the OP I would suggest the WFC Snap-In and WF.

Lets keep it to the 3 choices in the poll.

WFC is "an addon" to enhance Windows Firewall.
So Is Galsswire my brother ;)
They are both "Snap-In" apps

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Glasswire is the same. It just adds colors and notifications, which are gravely need, especially if someone blocks all inbound/outbound except allowed apps.
yes I am aware of that however WFC was not listed in the voting poll

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows firewall is good enough for daily usage but it's not really easy to create rules and monitoring blocked package is very confusing
I had a problem like this just yesterday with Windows Firewall. I was trying out Yandex browser, which was recommended to me by @Sunshine-boy as a browser with unique security features.
Yandex installs in Appdata (there seems to be no option to choose installation location) and Windows firewall doesn't like that. When I tried to activate Yandex syncing, Windows firewall blocked it, even though I made allow rules for incoming and outgoing. I couldn't figure out a solution. Most info on the net about Yandex is in Russian...

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
View attachment 175109
Never seen it higher than that, this is the lowest in it's class by far from my experience, and I have tried
all of them to date. Do you like comodo ?, does it work well for you ?
For the OP I would suggest the WFC Snap-In and WF.
when I was trying it, ~v4.0 or 3.9, it had up to 10% CPU usage while launching some apps and it had surprisingly slow startup speed on boot. Because of these 2 reasons + I didn't find it useful
when it was in the old version, it consumed ~40-65Mb of RAM :rolleyes: if I recall correctly

I had a problem like this just yesterday with Windows Firewall. I was trying out Yandex browser, which was recommended to me by @Sunshine-boy as a browser with unique security features.
Yandex installs in Appdata (there seems to be no option to choose installation location) and Windows firewall doesn't like that. When I tried to activate Yandex syncing, Windows firewall blocked it, even though I made allow rules for incoming and outgoing. I couldn't figure out a solution. Most info on the net about Yandex is in Russian...
which WF mode you are using? default or whitelisting mode?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
when I was trying it, ~v4.0 or 3.9, it had up to 10% CPU usage while lunching some apps and it had surprisingly slow startup speed on boot. Because of these 2 reasons + I didn't find it useful
when it was in the old version, it consumed ~40-65Mb of RAM :rolleyes: if I recall correctly

which WF mode you are using? default or whitelisting mode?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I don't know why but WF only blocks or shows a notification only when an app wants inbound connection. In this case, yandex or any other browser, inbound connections should be blocked for safety reason
outbound connections are always allowed in default mode unless we have a rule for them
I didn't really understand why yandex is blocked

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't know why but WF only blocks or shows a notification only when an app wants inbound connection. In this case, yandex or any other browser, inbound connections should be blocked for safety reason
outbound connections are always allowed in default mode unless we have a rule for them
I didn't really understand why yandex is blocked
What is your opinion of Yandex, generally and security-wise, as compared to Chrome?

Reactions: AtlBo

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I used sync without any problem(tested it with Eset and simple wall) did you install the Yandex disk? I think your problem is related to Yandex disk.
Yandex has no inbound connection!at least I never saw!inbound=virus:D
I guess there is a problem with your win firewall!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
WF does not block Yandex in default, I can think only about Smartscreen or Windows Defender, since yandex tag is considered as PUA.

My rules in whitelisting mode (using OpenDNS Family via dnscrypt and DNS.Watch as a backup):
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex DNS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteip=84.200.70.40,84.200.69.80 remoteport=53 program="%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex DNSS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteip=208.67.220.123,208.67.222.123 remoteport=443 program="%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex Sync" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteip=213.180.193.0-213.180.193.255 remoteport=443,5222 program="%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=80,443 program="%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What is your opinion of Yandex, generally and security-wise, as compared to Chrome?
I have no idea, it has many useful features for security and it's worth using. However, I'm not qualified to say if yandex is safer than chrome or not because I'm clueless
however, I found that it uses ancient chromium versions so some of my extensions refused to work
I prefer the UI of chrome more

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I used sync without any problem(tested it with Eset and simple wall) did you install the Yandex disk? I think your problem is related to Yandex disk.
Yandex has no inbound connection!at least I never saw!inbound=virus:D
I guess there is a problem with your win firewall!
I did not install yandex disk. I might try with a different firewall and see what happens. Or maybe my windows firewall rules got messed up, I might try turning them back to default.
@Evjl's Rain, I was told by @Sunshine-boy that Yandex beta has better support for extensions.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
It's always UpToDate If you use the last beta(Its stable)but yes the official one always use the old chrome version!you can install every extension you want (the beta won't block extensions and I read it in the Yandex website)if its blocking an extension that means the extension is not safe
Yandex 62.0.3202.2090 beta and 62.0.3202 is the current chrome version!
The official version is very bad!the official is 17.10.0.2017 while I have 17.11.0.2090.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.