Firewall rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirv5668

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
I am having an issue with the firewall blocking Ethernet connections (but not wireless) and OpenVPN connections. For the ethernet, I get an error about invalid IP configuration. In both cases, if I turn off the firewall temporarily I am able to connect and then turn it back on without a problem. I submitted a ticket to Comodo and they said to just delete the rule 'Block IP In from MAC Any To MAC Any Where Protocol is Any' and change the firewall from 'safe mode' to 'custom ruleset'.

This is probably a stupid question and I'm missing something- but wouldn't deleting this rule weaken the firewall protection? If I understand, this is blocking a random connection from some outside server or device. I'm not sure why wireless doesn't cause this issue though. Is there a way to create custom rules for these two situations or does the change to 'custom' mean I will get a pop-up (which would be fine)?

What am I missing here? :(

H

hjlbx

Hello Nirv5668,

It's a little late replying to your post, but why not delete the rule and try it?

You can always add it back if it doesn't work.

MAC = Media Access Control - which is embedded on a system's networking card. MAC is unique to each system.

Reactions: Nirv5668

Nirv5668

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Thanks! It definitely works- I just wanted to understand what I was doing. It seems that the custom setting keeps the security high though, then I can allow when I know I am trying to make a connection with another machine. I still am not sure why the wireless was not an issue, but using the Ethernet cable created this block rule in the beta version of 8.2, now the release version only creates it for the VPN, but using 'Custom' and deleting that rule works well for me (In either beta or resease 8.2, it is not there by default, but gets created automatically when I did this).

I thought I would get no explanation from Comodo on help ticket and posted here before asking them. But, I have to say, they were awesome! Just thought I should mention that in case anyone is wondering about that experience.

H

hjlbx

Thanks! It definitely works- I just wanted to understand what I was doing. It seems that the custom setting keeps the security high though, then I can allow when I know I am trying to make a connection with another machine. I still am not sure why the wireless was not an issue, but using the Ethernet cable created this block rule in the beta version of 8.2, now the release version only creates it for the VPN, but using 'Custom' and deleting that rule works well for me (In either beta or resease 8.2, it is not there by default, but gets created automatically when I did this).

I thought I would get no explanation from Comodo on help ticket and posted here before asking them. But, I have to say, they were awesome! Just thought I should mention that in case anyone is wondering about that experience.

Deleting the pre-configured rule then selecting Custom Ruleset for the firewall lets the system and user "start from scratch" on that deleted rule... as well as all other rules.

Custom Ruleset for firewall creates rules, as you saw in your case - automatically upon creating the connection, but most it is for rules created and defined by the user - regardless of pre-configured rules.

Are you using Comodo free or paid?

Did you use the e-mail ticket submission?

Reactions: Nirv5668
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.