Guide | How To Fix: Cannot add features to Windows 8

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
We have seen how you can add more features to Windows 8. But there may be times that this procedure may not work. Let us say that to upgrade your Windows 8 edition to a higher edition you open Control Panel > System Properties and click on Get more features with a new edition of Windows. You then buy a key and enter it via Add features to Windows 8 link.
addfeatureswindows8.jpg

Cannot add features to Windows 8
Normally in such a scenario, your Windows 8 should upgrade to a higher edition. But in rare situations, you may find that the feature does not get added but instead a system restore operation starts, and your Windows returns to the previous state.

In such a case you can find if a service called NLS Service is present on your computer.

To do so, open the Win+X menu, type services.msc and hit Enter to open Services. Here check if you can find NLS Service. The NLS Service runs nlssrv32.exe and is part of Nalpeiron License Management. This service enables products that use the Nalpeiron Licensing System.

The nlssrv32.exe is typically located in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder and used by many software developers including NitroPDF, Alien Skin, Altiris, BCL, Symantec, etc. If you have installed any of their products on your system, in all likelihood, this process will be present on your PC.

KB2787752 says that this service is known to interfere with the upgrade process. So if you find the NLS Service, change its start-up type to Disabled and restart the computer.

Once you have done this, try to add new features to Windows 8. It should help.

Do remember that to add features to Windows 8, your PC must be running an activated copy of Windows 8.

Source: Direct Link

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
ok thank you Earth sir for the rules and sorry I didn't knew about it. I read this today http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Microsoft-closes-forced-activation-flaw-in-Windows-8
and I knew about it so posted this tutorial. I know I should have given the Source but the actual post was really small and easy so I posted it here full. Otherwise if it had many pics or if it was a little longer post then I would have posted like quote --- and then the source.
Again didn't had any idea that it was not abided to what the rules state here. So very very Sorry and Thanks for the wake up call. I assure u it won't happen again
I think I've to discover some of my own as Google has done the rest :/

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
malbky said:
By not giving proper credits, that site can MT a DMCA notice. So always give credits.

OK thank you for the explanation Bala :) and as i said above it wouldn't happen again.
Now please enjoy this thread posted by me and do comment Ur views on it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malbky, which edition of Windows 8 do you run?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/compare

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.