Battle For anti Ransomware should I purchase or install AppCheck or NeuShield?

Compare list
AppCheck
NeuShield

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Kaspersky is forbidden on gov networks and not advised for government employee home use. I do not want to run foul of my employer so better safe than sorry even though Kaspersky is a superior solution to many other antiviruses. I personally run Eset Premium and F-Secure along with a home built Sophos XG box and Brocade switch/AP.
Basically, you should not run ESET and F-Secure together.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Basically, you should not run ESET and F-Secure together.
Oh no, you misunderstood I am running ESET and F-Secure environment and not concurrently on the same device. Basically I have 5 ESET LIC and 5 F-Secure distributed across 10 devices. Both were bought on seperate deals and I figured that if something got passed ESET then hopefully my F-Secure devices are safe and vice versa.

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
Just one update, I was trialing NeuShield for a while, but I had to give up. It is impossible to move around large sets of data with it installed. Transfer speed was about 4 MBs from one disk to another, with the two disks directly connected to the main board. It would've taken more than a day to transfer 80 GBs whereas it should be only a few minutes.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Just one update, I was trialing NeuShield for a while, but I had to give up. It is impossible to move around large sets of data with it installed. Transfer speed was about 4 MBs from one disk to another, with the two disks directly connected to the main board. It would've taken more than a day to transfer 80 GBs whereas it should be only a few minutes.
Oooh that's not good. I will have to test that now. Were they spinners or ssds?

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
WiseVector StopX has been improving their own encrypted files recovery built in and i seen it in action. AppCheck also did a nice job restoring as well. Both are designed to abort ransomware very early and on that i must give the nod to WVSX since it's security modules cover quite a deal more so far from my tests but WV contains many methods of detections all at once and won't hesitate to leap in and plug those malicious calls before they get a chance to proceed.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
My ultimate solution is as follows.

First, I install Windows, install missing or update drivers, and install Windows update. Then, I create a full system image using Aomei Backupper Pro.

I install all the software I need and do my configuration then create another full system image.

Regarding my personal files, I have them synced to my OneDrive and I access them when needed. The other important files are also stored on my external hard drive.

Now let's say I got hit by a ransomeware, all I need to to is to restore system image and ta da, a clean system with everything installed and configured. My files are safe in the cloud, too. If any files that are store on the cloud get encrypted, I can always restore the previous clean version thanks to OneDrive versioning feature.

Thus, in my opinion, if you practise good habits and have backups, you do not need to have anythings besides your security suite for protection.

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
Now let's say I got hit by a ransomeware, all I need to to is to restore system image and ta da, a clean system with everything installed and configured. My files are safe in the cloud, too. If any files that are store on the cloud get encrypted, I can always restore the previous clean version thanks to OneDrive versioning feature.

I would just advise to have another option besides OneDrive. At least in Windows 11 it just syncs some specific folders on the desktop. The whole D: drive is unprotected. This is why I also have Backblaze to sync all my drives, other than having them on a separate offline drive.

Edit: Also, if I'm not wrong, OneDrive ransomware protection (versioning) is only available in the premium plan.

Reactions: Mystic

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I would just advise to have another option besides OneDrive. At least in Windows 11 it just syncs some specific folders on the desktop. The whole D: drive is unprotected. This is why I also have Backblaze to sync all my drives, other than having them on a separate offline drive.

Edit: Also, if I'm not wrong, OneDrive ransomware protection (versioning) is only available in the premium plan.
In my case, I don't have D partition. I don't partition my drive. This makes it easier for me to manage my files. I also have an external hard drive which I only connect to back up files.

Regarding OneDrive Ransomware protection, I'm subscribed to Microsoft 365 Family plan, so I'm not really sure if this feature is available in the free plan.

Reactions: simmerskool

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
yea i used programs and features! i never used revo or anything to uninstall neushield
I've uninstalled it and didn't have a slow process but I did have to go to the online dashboard and deactivate and then reactivate? couldn't find any instructions for uninstalling, you can contact support though, I have read on MT's that they are pretty responsive.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I've uninstalled it and didn't have a slow process but I did have to go to the online dashboard and deactivate and then reactivate? couldn't find any instructions for uninstalling, you can contact support though, I have read on MT's that they are pretty responsive.
okii thanks!

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Teddy

Why don't you try Shadow Defender again? I have been using it on Windows 11 Enterprise for a very long time without issues. Since you have an image now that does not include, you have nothing to lose. If you have any issues, I can help.

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
anyone have a trouble uninstalling Neushield Data Sentinel? it takes forever to uninstall!
Yes, it does. It made copying videos take a long time, too. And uninstalling it, since I also added my backup drive to protected list, took several hours. However, it completed after that time. On the other hand it left all the files with the wrong permissions which made it impossible to manage until I manually fixed all the permissions.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, it does. It made copying videos take a long time, too. And uninstalling it, since I also added my backup drive to protected list, took several hours. However, it completed after that time. On the other hand it left all the files with the wrong permissions which made it impossible to manage until I manually fixed all the permissions.
I just noticed some files are inaccessible! Neushield changed permissions of files on my pc too. how you manually fixed the permissions?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.