AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Anyone used FK lately? A member asked me if I knew anything about FK and linked a pdf with great information here:

http://www.fortknox-firewall.com/download/manual.pdf

It's about $22 for 5 lifetime keys, so I want to see if it's as good as the pdf makes it appear to be. Process defense looks possibly very good, but I really liked the ability to monitor Windows settings all in one place like sharing etc.

What I would really like is an application that monitored net facing elements of Windows like remote desktop and FTP and file sharing settings that made it possible to manage them separately from svchost or whatever like most firewalls seem to do. The usual way doesn't work. Monitoring the actual element of Windows would make it possible to enable with confidence even remote desktop (if certain protocols had to be met for a connection to complete). However, finding this is another story I guess for now...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@SHvFl: does Binisoft WFC have protections that Comodo firewall module is lacking?
Someone here said that binisoft has mitigations to stop malware from connecting out through a legit process, but if you use CF with only firewall, you don't have such mitigations (because CF is relying on HIPS and/or autocontainment to do that)
It's going to alert you when the process changes so i don't see how it will stop a program that highjacks another allowed application to connect but anw i am not worried about such scenario as i deal with it in other methods. My only care about the firewall is being a firewall and nothing more.
Windows firewall and WFC are very limited because rules have no priority so you can't do complex stuff with it while with Comodo firewall you can do whatever your heart desires with global rules and application rules.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's going to alert you when the process changes so i don't see how it will stop a program that highjacks another allowed application to connect but anw i am not worried about such scenario as i deal with it in other methods. My only care about the firewall is being a firewall and nothing more.
Windows firewall and WFC are very limited because rules have no priority so you can't do complex stuff with it while with Comodo firewall you can do whatever your heart desires with global rules and application rules.
Indeed, I scoured the Binisoft site for info on what sort of protections WFC offers, and the only thing I found on the subject was that it blocks other programs from tampering with Windows Firewall rules. That's nice, but it says nothing about blocking the connections of injected processes etc.
So it seems that with WFC, what you see is what you get, it doesn't have very much under the hood.

Upvote 0

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
So it seems that with WFC, what you see is what you get, it doesn't have very much under the hood.
WFC is not a firewall, so not sure of what you were expecting. It's about improving the control of the Windows Firewall.

Anyway, it has been probably discontinued and according to the author will be integrated into another security product (=the new owners). Details soon to follow, that's all that is known atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deletedmessiah
Upvote 0

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
it's a Good firewall and I used it for a while but not worth the money.
It has an IPS.
I found a life time activation for Fortknox Firewall real cheap ,its working ,but windows security does not acknowledge that its on, did you ever have this problem? Thanks I am running windows 10

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.