FortiClient 6.0.0 (Windows)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Unrated sites should never be blocked or that setting will cause major grief.

The setting is there for restrictive corporate/enterprise/govt. systems that restrict access to unknown/unquantified entities. A consumer should never do this as illustrated above. It can block everything, even Windows Updates at times. Since a corporate network probably pushes from WSUS anyway.
But is that blocked by default? I was running default settings + blocked p2p sites

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

But is that blocked by default? I was running default settings + blocked p2p sites

I believe it is on by default for the client and fortigate appliances. It's generally shipped for better settings for corporate. Which is why the default firewall policy of deny/deny/all is shipped by default. Can't have folks plugging things in and getting exposed. So yes, by default it could be fairly aggressive and may need to be adjusted.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

No sandbox functionality was ever in FortiClient Free. Regardless of what it says, enabling it does nothing unless you can pair it with a Sandbox. So it never worked, regardless. I think I have mentioned that a few times around these parts.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Its kinda weird how forticlient firewall service is taking the most ram there, and av module is 'sleeping' currently taking only 4mb of ram

Is next gen firewall used to play like this?
forticient.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Don't even install the firewall module.

It's not a firewall in the true sense of a firewall, it's an application firewall that ties into the Fortigate Appliance on the network to help offer L7 management/control/security of application use on a system. Without an appliance, that module is pointless and actually serves no purpose at all.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
But the weird thing is that ram usage is less than without firewall module
Normally forticlient av module sits around 100mb? But with the application firewall its at 4mb and firewall at 50

Thats less ram, but still having the av working as intended?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
No sandbox functionality was ever in FortiClient Free. Regardless of what it says, enabling it does nothing unless you can pair it with a Sandbox. So it never worked, regardless. I think I have mentioned that a few times around these parts.

Yes, you made that clear. Until recently it was possible (thanks to suggestions of you and other forum members) to enable sandbox signatures. When enabled it showed in the GUI/monitor that those signatures were updated also. So people using Forticlient free could
l benefit from the detection of other users with sandbox/fortiguard functionality.

With the sandbox signatures enabled in the XML configuration file, Forticlient Free flagged downloads from VX-Vault/Malc0de/etc as malware. Without the sandbox signatures not a beep. The big benefit of Forticlient free with Sandbox sigantures was that it blocked all recently found suspicious executables.

A while ago Forticlient stopped updating sandbox signatures and it sadly allowed all new malware samples from VX-Vault/Malc0de/etc. This is the problem @Tume reported and I confirmed (same observation, helas no sandbox signatures for free forticlient anymore).

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I have a weird issue with FC were I simply can't enable Dynamic Threat Detection feature. If I try to enable it in the settings after exiting settings page the feature automatically get disabled. On my previous try on FC I remember successfully enabling this feature. Now I can't.

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have a weird issue with FC were I simply can't enable Dynamic Threat Detection feature. If I try to enable it in the settings after exiting settings page the feature automatically get disabled. On my previous try on FC I remember successfully enabling this feature. Now I can't.
You need to have ATP installed, during installation phase

Reactions: AtlBo and Kuttz
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I am confused. When I click on the Forticlient link above and go to their site, I see a download button. When I click on that and chose Windows, I am taken to the Microsoft store. At the store there is no download, only an install button. I click that and it installs a version 1 something that has no GUI.

EDIT: My brain dead self had installed the Windows app for phone LOL. Got the right download now.

Reactions: AtlBo and Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Anyone have fix for the forticlient web filter restricting youtube, making it completely unusable

Reactions: AtlBo

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Stupid question, but how? im getting dizzle
asdt.png

If you are using the free version like me, you can not add it to the exclusion list.
Sorry just did mislead your post.....seems i have to either remove forticlient or stay with the filtering:cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Anyone have fix for the forticlient web filter restricting youtube, making it completely unusable
No problem here. Upon installing, the log showed youtube/googlevideo blocked, but it still worked, nevertheless after updating, it does not show as blocked. The web filter works otherwise, based on the selected categories, so maybe reinstalling and updating would help.

If you are using the free version like me, you can not add it to the exclusion list.
You have to Unlock Settings to be able to change them.

Attachments

• capture_11242018_223439.jpg
    capture_11242018_223439.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 435
  • capture_11242018_223622.jpg
    capture_11242018_223622.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 468
  • capture_11242018_223750.jpg
    capture_11242018_223750.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 369

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.