FortiClient 6.0.0 (Windows)

pcalvert

Level 1
Nov 21, 2018
@AtlBo:

Thank-you. Back in 2017, ForgottenSeer 58943 reported that Forticlient was using 400 to 600 MB (!) of RAM, so that's a big improvement.

Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

6.0 is pretty old now. It looks like Forticlient is transitioning away from free. Last I heard, there was an ML/AI engine going into it, and probably not in the free one.

I am not involved with Fortinet any longer so I don't really keep up with them anymore so I am as clueless as the next person about their latest offerings. I still hold my engineering certifications with them but that's about it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
6.0 is pretty old now. It looks like Forticlient is transitioning away from free.
Yes, the download was removed from Downloads, but it was added back. I have just installed it and it works as expected. (y)
It seems, that they have decided to keep the version 6.0.x as free while the paid version is being normally updated, currently 6.2.

It is mainly signature based, but its web-filter is excellent (a great supplement to cleanbrowsingDNS, that can only block domains).
I also find interesting, that it can filter https traffic without inserting its own certificate, unlike other AVs, I wonder, what is the deal?
It is also very light - 200MB RAM and 2% CPU on average, not to mention, it is great install&forget AV localized to many languages.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yes, the download was removed from Downloads, but it was added back. I have just installed it and it works as expected. (y)
It seems, that they have decided to keep the version 6.0.x as free while the paid version is being normally updated, currently 6.2.

It is mainly signature based, but its web-filter is excellent (a great supplement to cleanbrowsingDNS, that can only block domains).
I also find interesting, that it can filter https traffic without inserting its own certificate, unlike other AVs, I wonder, what is the deal?
It is also very light - 200MB RAM and 2% CPU on average, not to mention, it is great install&forget AV localized to many languages.
Would install, but it just makes me unsure if they someday just happen to discontinue web filter (plugin?) But since its been like this for a year , maybe it works for another year

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It's using a proxy service (FortiProxy.exe - FortiClient Proxy Service) to redirect the website you would like to visit to their cloud servers and filter it according to your settings.
That's why you can't use it together with, for example, DNSCrypt.

capture_02082020_151825.jpg

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It's using a proxy service (FortiProxy.exe - FortiClient Proxy Service) to redirect the website you would like to visit to their cloud servers and filter it according to your settings.
Thanks. (y)
That's why you can't use it together with, for example, DNSCrypt.
Good thing, that Yandex browser has the inbuilt dnscrypt, so it works with Forticlient. :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
OT: what do you think about Yandex browser compared with Chrome or the new Edge?
Chrome feels too heavy and I do not like its GUI and lets not forget privacy. I would rather use Firefox or Chromium, if Yandex died.
Edge is like a newborn child, it needs to mature a bit, not to mention that it is too dependant on Windows, I can not even sign into it.
Is there a portable version?
Only an unofficial one, since the licence does not allow it and it is usually like 3 months old.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Works fine for me. Updates every day. F-C is good enough that Fortinet should keep this product up in its current form irregardless of where they're overall product goes. It's simple and should be nothing to maintain at this point, and I imagine their clients like having access to the program for home use->familiarity brings confidence...

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Works fine for me. Updates every day. F-C is good enough that Fortinet should keep this product up in its current form irregardless of where they're overall product goes. It's simple and should be nothing to maintain at this point, and I imagine their clients like having access to the program for home use->familiarity brings confidence...
How many times a day does it receive updates? And is it connected to their cloud?
Thanks in advance.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

What version are you using? I see no downloads on their site, only at 3rd party site that has 6.2.6.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What version are you using? I see no downloads on their site
It is greyed out to show, that it is not recommended to use, since it is an outdated version. But since it is still available, so it is supported.

Attachments

• capture_03172020_210419.jpg
    capture_03172020_210419.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 241

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I checked on a PC I haven't used for a few months, and it updated right away to these signatures:

F-C Updates 2.png

from these:

F-C Updates.png

Checking on this PC is impossible. I have just now noticed that it is apparently stuck behind, so thx for asking @ZeroDay. Here are those:

F-C 6200.png

The log isn't showing any updates information, but the last time I checked early in the month or so everything was updating. I'll have to look into what's wrong with the updates. Probably something blocked in Comodo Firewall. When a program updates, sometimes Comodo will alert a process for a second time. I fairly oftenly leave this PC running and walk away from time to time. Sometimes I hear the Comodo alert, so I'll have a look.

Fortinet is still updating the signatures from all indications..

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Logged off and into Admin then checked Comodo for F-C blocks. Unblocked an F-C process, and F-C updated instantly. Here is the log:

F-C 6200 2.png

Wish I could validate/verify this for sure, but F-C has always updated at least 2 to 3 times a day and sometimes many more than this in the recent past when I have looked...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Forticlient has released 6.4 lately, but they still have download available for 6.0

When i checked their update history i found something like this:
- it seems they have been updating 6.0 for 2 years and currently version is at 6.0.9

forticlient609.png

When i take a look on their release notes about 6.0.9, they have introduced two licensing modes; Free & Paid
forticlient6999.png

Do you guys think the free version is here to stay for another year or two or even longer? Im happy with the windows defender, chromium edge while having bitdefender trafficlight, but i love forticlient and their web filter so much id like to have it enabled on my system.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I think it's at high risk for being pulled. Maybe it's still available, because they have a fairly significant user base (or better) for the free version still and don't want to upset the apple cart. Their original reason for making the program available WAS as a courtesy to their clients. If all they have to do is update signatures, then that's like not having to do anything. The program dialog and the html are so simple in concept for F-C that the program itself shouldn't need any updating to be used safely.

Could be pulled any time, but that's been the case for about what I guess two years now. I too am using the software, and I am hoping they will continue to see the good sense in keeping the program active in its current form. F-C is the only straight a-v with a web filter anywhere. It fits in perfectly with so many other security options like OSArmor, Comodo Firewall, AppCheck, ZoneAlarm, and probably others like Voodoo Shield and SpyShelter. Also would work great with Sandboxie.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.