App Review FortiClient 6.0.9.0277

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
FortiClient 6.0.9.0277
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The GUI is nice and well organized. To modify most of the settings you have to click on "Unlock Settings" on the low-left corner.
Default settings are already good, you can tune them deeply by using the conf file.
To do so, you have to go to Settings-->Backup and save the file somwhere. Then you open it (for example with WordPad) and edit it. After saving, you can import it by Settings-->Restore
Here is the official guide https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/6.0.9/xml-reference-guide/387580/introduction
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
FortiClient has Antivirus, AntiExploit, Heuristic and Web Filter.
It lacks of a strong Behaviour Blocker or HIPS and of a Firewall, but Web Filter and Signatures are top notch.
Sandbox is available only if you have a FortiSandbox connected.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Minimal setup required
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Weak protection against zero-day threats
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
MSI Cubi Intel Core i3-5005U
12Gb RAM
128Gb SSD
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Multi-user devices
  3. Financial banking or trading
  4. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Fortinet is a business/corporate firewall company so you expect their webfilter to be great Having worked with their firewalls and fortios they are solid units in protection terms but have a lot of bugs. They are the budget version compared to cisco but their forticlient is miles better than cisco's amp client. The thing fortinet lacks is a large install base, unlike cisco they have a lot less units in production and see a lot less threats.

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Fortinet is a business/corporate firewall company so you expect their webfilter to be great Having worked with their firewalls and fortios they are solid units in protection terms but have a lot of bugs. They are the budget version compared to cisco but their forticlient is miles better than cisco's amp client. The thing fortinet lacks is a large install base, unlike cisco they have a lot less units in production and see a lot less threats.
I perfectly agree with you, but FortiClient's signatures are much better than Cisco's.
And sometimes having a small market share is not that bad, hackers won't bother to find a bypass for you ;)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I perfectly agree with you, but FortiClient's signatures are much better than Cisco's.
And sometimes having a small market share is not that bad, hackers won't bother to find a bypass for you ;)

In some respect that is true but security by obscurity has never worked. If the target is high value attackers will find a way in.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Last time I tried Forticlient on Windows, it was too heavy on resources but signature detection & web protection was very good with my samples. Good to know that it is now light on resources.

Also, it is now probably the last free software to run on Linux. I installed their version for Ubuntu last year and it was pretty good.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Hello all :) I have not heard about this fortinet until coming upon this section today and reading it and since i am still at home bored
I thought let me give this a shot and all i have to say is i wish i new about this earlier a av program that is simple and has a lot of good
options to protect the home user and does not try to sale you everything except the { Kitchen Sink} it feels as light as Eset to me
install was fast and the program is not heavy at all. To bad they do not charge a fair price for home users and add a firewall and sandbox so I
installed tiny wall with it and must say a great combo together light setup on system and this is on a Asus Tuf piece of crap(n) {that is another story} i have tried a lot past two weeks and believe it or not (Thor premium version ) also felt light on the machine these are the two that feel light
also Kaspersky felt light but it seems it never updates all the time automatically seems i also had to do it manually {that bothered me} maybe because i am a 🇺🇸 citizen goverment intercepts connection ???? who knows

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Antivirus is just horrible, it is not recommended.

Signatures are quite good, it just doesn't have a behavior blocker, so it's weak against zero-days.
Plus, in these videos malware is already in the PC, while in the real life 99% of malware comes from either a browser or a mail. And FortiClient can stop nearly any bad website if properly configured.
If you are paranoid, pair it with OSArmor or Comodo Firewall and you are fine :)

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Signatures are quite good, it just doesn't have a behavior blocker, so it's weak against zero-days.
Plus, in these videos malware is already in the PC, while in the real life 99% of malware comes from either a browser or a mail. And FortiClient can stop nearly any bad website if properly configured.
If you are paranoid, pair it with OSArmor or Comodo Firewall and you are fine :)
I understand this, but I think that an antivirus product has to be good in all layers and not depend on just one, like the web module that is not perfect in any antivirus, so I do not recommend fortclient, comodo products yet they are weak, the windows firewall is more than enough, and you won't be bothered. I recommend OSarmor.

Reactions: Protomartyr

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I understand this, but I think that an antivirus product has to be good in all layers and not depend on just one, like the web module that is not perfect in any antivirus, so I do not recommend fortclient, comodo products yet they are weak, the windows firewall is more than enough, and you won't be bothered. I recommend OSarmor.
I would always recommend Forticlient, as a previous member stated, their was malware already present within the hosts computer, Forti's web capabilities are superb. If you want a protection from other aspect of computing security look for a suite, an AV will never cover this hence why companies have different tiers.

~LDogg

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
I would always recommend Forticlient, as a previous member stated, their was malware already present within the hosts computer, Forti's web capabilities are superb. If you want a protection from other aspect of computing security look for a suite, an AV will never cover this hence why companies have different tiers.

~LDogg
Its mechanism is weak and its behavior module is non-existent, for just protection on the web a browser extension is sufficient, no antivirus will make sense if you take this into account, you need to have a strong set. Just my opinion.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Its mechanism is weak and its behavior module is non-existent, for just protection on the web a browser extension is sufficient, no antivirus will make sense if you take this into account, you need to have a strong set. Just my opinion.
One's entitled to an opinion as you can backup your rhetoric. I've always found their product to be top notch in testing and real life scenarios. However it needs to be paired with something else such OSArmor as an anti-exploit like pairing, the signatures are actually decent. It's only main weakness is 0day files.

~LDogg

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
i had to uninstall this software with some codes on terminal. There was not any other chance. You can install it normally but hard to uninstall . i had to check some websites to uninstall it wtf.
That's strange, I have installed and uninstalled it several times without problems by geek uninstaller

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
Open command prompt as admin and use the following command to uninstall:
wmic product where "name like 'Forti%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive

Computer should reboot after uninstall is finished.

Worked for me last time i tried above command.

Kind regards,
-sepik

pcalvert

Level 1
Nov 21, 2018
I noticed that Forticlient has anti-exploit capability. Does that mean it would conflict with MBAE? If it's a true anti-exploit, then I think that they would almost certainly conflict.

Phil

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I noticed that Forticlient has anti-exploit capability. Does that mean it would conflict with MBAE? If it's a true anti-exploit, then I think that they would almost certainly conflict.

Phil
thats enterprise stuff on free version, i could not even use it , youre better off using mbae wich is true anti-exploit indeed

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

Configured how?

So it can`t work paired with another Av, i thought that was just the thing with Forticlient.

Is it still updated as a product?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.