Battle Free Antivirus hunting (opinions welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Okay these are my top 4 based on my research,

Forticlient or Lite / AVG / Comodo / Panda

Now, my Modem/Router is firewalled does this mean I have no need for another firewall besides Windows?

I'm trying to avoid bugs, Bitdefender free worked great for a few months, light, effective, caught 2 threats and a site with malware, but! a few missing functions and quick scan went funky on the 13th and stopped its cycle, won't fix. I don't like the SLOW boot time either.

MOST IMPORTANT: Low CPU for old PC processor/Quick boot time/Installer 200MB or less/Medium to Great Detection rate.

Panda is cloud only, is that a big deal? and I read conflicting stories of praise and distain.

Foritclient , I really want to try, but don't know it that well, but sounds good from privacy policy, web block, firewall etc.

RAM use : 0-80 / CPU (I want light on CPU!, RAM doesn't matter)

Comodo, sounds interesting as well, kinda like Forticlient... but worry about interruptions, bloat and complicated setting for this "advanced-basic" user.

AVG Could it be improving in time? How's the boot up, smooth or heavy?

I don't want a China antivirus, and Avast has IP address "collecting" and unwanted extras, without the firewall :p However, if I'm let down, I could go this direction before Qihoo-Baidu.

Thanks and lets see your votes and talk about your past or present thoughts of using these.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
CIS8 sandbox is stronger than all the previous versions.

You're selling it...

This and Forticlient are gaining again, but Comodo lead.

Panda's uninstall stats are lowest on AV Perfornance, so I'd rather try that later or on a different PC, like when my bros anti-virus runs out in April for example.

AVG, the infected PC's is not good, I think I'll pass, but I enjoy looking at their UI.

Foriticlient, got 90+ detection, easy install-uninstall...low false postitive, and Malware Doctors video showed no dangers left after zero day malwares. Would like to try that one someday.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Comodo's 8 sandbox it's a lot easier and stronger as yigido said to configure it from previous versions.
I can tell you that for sure because first i installed Comodo AV 7 and then i upgrade to version 8;).

If you decide to install Comodo read the thread yigido suggested in post #16 and after that you can send me a PM to help you with the settings:)

Reactions: Bill7 and yigido

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Or you can ask yigido for help because he has a lot of experience on Comodo
since it was using it for a long time;)

Reactions: Bill7
Y

yigido

Please customize the installition.
wiaIHzb.png
and then choose only these two. Un-tick the other bundled softwares from Comodo.
S1sTmhi.png

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
A bad review of FortiClient:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/review-o...ndard-edition-the-free-antivirus-by-fortinet/

I have seen a number of 2014 tests in which Panda Free performed stunningly well against the paid anti-viruses. I would say it has surpassed AVG. If you like features, however, AVG has a lot more.

Roboscan is an option for people with a resource-poor system. It's South Korean, not Chinese. It's lighter than avast! and Webroot. Unfortunately it has had scant testing. It does have the BitDefender engine as well as its own, so it's not to be dismissed as for the dogs.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
oh yeah , softwares updated.. and 139 patches installed, malwarebytes in too, so this PC is about as good as it can get.

I should upgrade framework, or should I let Comodo do that??

Reactions: Bill7 and tonibalas
E

eight

JakeXPMan,

No offence, but you are looking for FREE Online Protection so do not expect the world out of it.

If you want a so called Fully Loaded Online Protection then you will have to part with some $$$ ;)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
JakeXPMan,

No offence, but you are looking for FREE Online Protection so do not expect the world out of it.

If you want a so called Fully Loaded Online Protection then you will have to part with some $$$ ;)

Oh I don't mind if it's not perfect, but layers are a plus sir! ... I had a ransomware and didn't switch out Avira because of it, still on laptop, it caught two malwares hiding from a USB stick, Mcsheild didn't find.

It's more a question of which will work best on PC, not what IS the best..., its fun to compare any software free or paid.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Reactions: Bill7 and tonibalas

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
JakeXPMan,

tahts not true. change comodo settings its better than any other paid av suit. change avast free settings with hardernmode u simply not get infected. both are free. there are some other methode out there for free like sandboxie,toolwize timefreez etc. u dont need to pay a penny to get full protection or better protection than a full paid av suite

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Glad you agree. Just a little point I forgot to add earlier. The Best is not Free :p

Yep thats what I mean, not the best unless its paid in green $$

Otherwise noone would use a paid one, if free had the same features as paid.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
tahts not true. change comodo settings its better than any other paid av suit. change avast free settings with hardernmode u simply not get infected. both are free. there are some other methode out there for free like sandboxie,toolwize timefreez etc. u dont need to pay a penny to get full protection or better protection than a full paid av suite

Comodo offers a truck full of goods, for a free AV solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.