Battle Free Antivirus hunting (opinions welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Okay these are my top 4 based on my research,

Forticlient or Lite / AVG / Comodo / Panda

Now, my Modem/Router is firewalled does this mean I have no need for another firewall besides Windows?

I'm trying to avoid bugs, Bitdefender free worked great for a few months, light, effective, caught 2 threats and a site with malware, but! a few missing functions and quick scan went funky on the 13th and stopped its cycle, won't fix. I don't like the SLOW boot time either.

MOST IMPORTANT: Low CPU for old PC processor/Quick boot time/Installer 200MB or less/Medium to Great Detection rate.

Panda is cloud only, is that a big deal? and I read conflicting stories of praise and distain.

Foritclient , I really want to try, but don't know it that well, but sounds good from privacy policy, web block, firewall etc.

RAM use : 0-80 / CPU (I want light on CPU!, RAM doesn't matter)

Comodo, sounds interesting as well, kinda like Forticlient... but worry about interruptions, bloat and complicated setting for this "advanced-basic" user.

AVG Could it be improving in time? How's the boot up, smooth or heavy?

I don't want a China antivirus, and Avast has IP address "collecting" and unwanted extras, without the firewall :p However, if I'm let down, I could go this direction before Qihoo-Baidu.

Thanks and lets see your votes and talk about your past or present thoughts of using these.

E

eight

Yep thats what I mean, not the best unless its paid in green $$

Otherwise noone would use a paid one, if free had the same features as paid

You just totally contradicted the gentleman who posted right before you :D

Comodo offers a truck full of goods, for a free AV solution
You want a truckload of bells & whistles or Rock Solid Online Protection :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bill7
E

eight

Then what is your best
That is irrelevant. I am not promoting my favorite vendor here.

Free security also provides security

:D You said it yourself. The keyword is : also

most of time free suits better than paid ones

Would you choose the Free version of your favorite protection over the Premium version ?

And remeber the question "free antivirus hunting opinions"

I do remember. The OP seemed to want the whole world for Free, which is why I raised my objection : post # 29

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
eight if the level of protection is about the same in the free version and the premium is bloated with unneeded staff yes
i will choose the free version for sure.
And to see what i mean just compare AVG FREE vs AVG Pro and compare Avast Free vs Avast Pro.
You will notice that there is little difference between them;)

E

eight

thank you.jpg

For this :

Thanks for the users who pay those softwares. These cashs keep the company alive to provide us free softwares

Your gratitude is whole heartedly accepted :

yaw.jpg

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I didn't say that free programs are better than paid but in most cases such as Avast Free,AVG Free,Avira Free and others
can do a good job and protect your system.
I also said that sometimes free is better than paid because paid products are bloated with staff that i don't want.
Eset Smart Security is good example of a paid software that has ( for me at least ) exactly what i need for protection;)

I hope i have made clear what i mean:)

Y

yigido

Reactions: tonibalas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.