In-depth Comparison

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hello and we are back for 2021 :) Usually I do these polls every 2 or 3 years, but since I have some extra time this year, why not? Let's see the WINNERS we've had for the polls in the previous years.

2020 Winner - Windows Defender
2018 Winner - Kaspersky Free Antivirus
2017 Winner - Avast Free Antivirus
2015 Winner - Qihoo Total Security

Last time Windows Defender won the nominations & the final round. This time are we expecting anything different? Let's wait and watch :)

To make these nominations/results more constructive for the end-user, please state the pros and cons for each antivirus that you nominate to help other users.

WINNER DECISION: 2 Phases

NOMINATE AT MOST: 2 Products
NOMINATION PHASE: 4th Dec - 10th Dec

FINAL POLL: 5 Products (most nominated)
POLL PHASE: 11th Dec - 17th Dec

WINNER DECLARATION: 18th Dec

Paid Antivirus nominations to start after this :D

CURRENT NOMINATION STANDINGS (votes) - Till @ there may be more votes
Note: If I can't edit this post anymore, please check for my following posts for latest standings

------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
1. Windows Defender with Configure defender in High
good points - out of the box protection, simple, no renewals, installs, just silent protection, perfectly adequate for anyone with common sense and a good layered Protection (Security gateway/firewall/IDS... pihole or adbocking at network level.... Firmware & OS updates rigorously maintained, secure randomized passwords on every device and every website)
bad points - not many beginners know how to enable its security features!
bad points2 - relies heavily on the cloud

2. Kaspersky KAV (AV only) none of the other bundled junk..... this is my number 2 is cheap and effective and not so reliant on cloud
good points - light on resources, good detection, cheap!
bad points - messes with https traffic, bundles crappy VPN software, also adds a browser extension silently without asking..... also all your data is trundled off and trusted to Russians.....
bad points2 - is cheap but not free, renewals to deal with etc

to be honest any antivirus nowadays is good.... but IF your antivirus got a hit then there is something seriously wrong with you
either
no gateway level security, no common sense, no ad blocking/pi-hole, no HIPS, OS or firmwares out of date... no segregation of network (Vlans) getting untrusted devices off your main network!!!
i honestly cant remember the last time I saw a virus pop up.... I would quite happily run without, but its always nice to know its there as the "LAST LINE" of defense, many peoples misconceptions is its the ONLY or first line of defense

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Avast - it gives you a free firewall, a cloud sandbox, pretty good customization options. The product also has great perspectives for the future in alliance with Norton.

It seems unfair to me that Defender is mentioned here with additional utilities. ))

Actually for my mom, I installed Symantec, all the other free solutions I don't like. :cautious:

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
I wouldn't hesitate to use it at default. You must realize that millions of people already do.
and they are not only "utilities"
they are basically just suggested settings in an easy to implement package

thats the downside with defender, most will just use it at stock settings (which is OK but weak, especially as most people have ZERO clue about basic security or layered security or common sense, and will just click on any link that says FREE SOMETHING)
by default out of the box defender doesn't even block PUA's (again fine for people with common sense but general non security minded people thats a no)

so yes configure defender is a 3rd party util but all that is doing is editing gpedit.msc settings that you can do without the utility.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
sorry, my fault. there is no free version
the very first word of the subject of this thread kind of gives this away.

as not to disappoint any f-securians - there is a free for 120 days giveaway though Unlimited Giveaway - F-Secure SAFE - free license for 120 days
1638737608444.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.