Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hello, I would like to pick an AV for other people when they ask me to install an AV

I love avast free but the problem is avast does not automatically renew its license or users are most likely to ignore all messages to confirm license subscription

what I want are
- FREE AV for complete noobs, who can only open the browser, word, excel and refuse to learn everything else
- no yearly subscription system, or it can renew automatically without user's interaction
- Relatively good signatures
- as light as possible
- Good proactive features
- If the proactive features are not the best, it should be able to pair with other security tools
- no Chinese AV, please. Too many nags and traps
- I don't care about privacy thingy. I just need it to work. In my country, privacy is close to 0 and almost nobody cares. Online banking is not a frequent activity
- works on windows 7

My initial options
- Bitdefender free: not the lightest but good enough
- panda free: the lightest but it's panda :rolleyes:
- Kaspersky free??? it has a 356-day subscription but not sure it would renew automatically
- AVG free: the last time I saw it didnt have subscription like avast free

against:
- sophos free
- Qihoo 360
- Tencend
- Mcafee
- (avast)
- MSE

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Window Defender is good enough as a Free AV alternative. coupled with consistent window update and regular back-ups should provide decently basic protections.

I rather you spend your time to educate and teach other people how to browse safely instead.

fernandoab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 5, 2014
Everyone will have some advantage and disadvantage. But looking at the established criteria Bitdefender Free would be a great option, it would be my choice. Because the internet protection offered by Bitdefender in my opinion is the best, besides not having any advertisement.
Another option to watch would be AVG Free and Avira Free Security Suite, also fits the requirements.
Just my opinion.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i had for some days the combo with avg free and secureaplus...my system was not smooth.
i'm not sure wich programm was the reason for the impact

Reactions: Weebarra

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
My brother's PC is configured with CF (cruelsister's setting). After a scan and a couple of reboot all is smooth and my brother can do what he want (and CF eat a lot of virus silently without he know nothing).

Great choice for a wreckless user.(y)

I have done the same for a family member who thinks his only security app is Avast......he he he:cool:

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.