Battle Free AV for Comodo Firewall 2017?

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I want to know which free antivirus is most compatible and lightest on resources while running alongside Comodo Firewall. Ability to customise settings is preferred (Reason why Bitdefender is not mentioned)

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Like others suggested, if you are in Windows 10, there is no need to install third-party antivirus software as long as you have a second line of defense.
In my case, I have Voodoshield Pro, Windows Defender is absolutely fine.
In your case, you have Comodo Firewall, which literally stops everything in proactive mode, then Windows Defender is the best, light solution too.
Just my opinion though. Of the three you mentioned, I would go with Avast.

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
@nishadrox I agree with certain things, it can be slow. However when I use CFW, it is with proactive mode and Cruelsister's settings. In that situation... speaking only for myself... Windows Defender is only on because... why not? I had only ever scanned my comp with it just to shut it up about reminding me to scan with it.
CFW really is the star of the show.

Ultimately I am reminded of something @shmu26 has said in the past that I found when I was researching this very same subject and I was only lurking here:
"As for your choice of AV if you MUST have one: it doesn't really matter, because if you run CFW in proactive config with autosandbox, your AV is like marshmallows compared to a tank. You may choose whatever flavor of marshmallows you like best."

Last edited:

RVS2

Level 3
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
CFW (on cruelsister's settings) blocks a few panda services. Probably not serious. Can't say if it makes panda's protection weaker.

Other AVs probably suffer the same fate. Which is why a compact AV like Bitdefender Free would be ideal.

Don't compromise on CFW settings, unless you know what you're doing.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Link to such example?
I think we already had a discussion about this issue. Evidences are in the second page
Did you experience slowdown issues in Windows 10?

many people agreed that WD can cause a significant slowdown in certain cases especially with HDD
not noticeable with SSD but some people noticed the same problem

I have a laptop with HDD. I know how impactful WD is. The laptop's fan and task manager/process XP can confirm it

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Avast, Avira and Qihoo are the ones that come to mind in terms of customisation. Being lightweight will be difficult to judge due to AVs running different on individual systems. For example, I've read a lot about Qihoo being incredibly lightweight but on my system QHActiveDefense was always running at 2 - 5% CPU usage, although I didn't notice much slowdown with just Bitdefender's engine on. Same thing with Panda: @LanDude says Panda runs light for him but I get noticeable slowdown when using it.
I suggest you install any free AVs you're interested in and see how they impact your system's performance.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think we already had a discussion about this issue. Evidences are in the second page
Did you experience slowdown issues in Windows 10?

many people agreed that WD can cause a significant slowdown in certain cases especially with HDD
not noticeable with SSD but some people noticed the same problem

I have a laptop with HDD. I know how impactful WD is. The laptop's fan and task manager/process XP can confirm it
Hardware limitation, you mentioned it's not noticeable wth SSD.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hardware limitation, you mentioned it's not noticeable wth SSD.
if it is noticeable with HDD, it will cause the same problem with SSD but because SSD is ~10x faster than HDD so it's not really noticeable. The problem is it can degrade the SSD faster. the CPU usage is higher than other lighter AVs

because of this reason, why don't we use other lighter AVs which cause less impact on system performance on low-end machines?
the only good things about WD I can think of is that it doesn't slow down the boot time, its compatibility, no bloatware and it's free

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.