Battle Free AV for Comodo Firewall 2017?

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I want to know which free antivirus is most compatible and lightest on resources while running alongside Comodo Firewall. Ability to customise settings is preferred (Reason why Bitdefender is not mentioned)

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
The only case where you'd want zero-day protections is when malware is using a stolen certificate from one of the vendors on Comodo's trusted vendors list, in which the sandbox would ignore it.
To avoid abuse of certificate you can reset Comodo's TVL. Then run a rating scan to add all executables to trusted files. This works on clean system. I'm not sure how it's safe, I did it only couple of times, the PC seemed to work fine.

Reactions: Arequire
D

Deleted member 178

To avoid abuse of certificate you can reset Comodo's TVL. Then run a rating scan to add all executables to trusted files. This works on clean system. I'm not sure how it's safe, I did it only couple of times, the PC seemed to work fine.
You don't even have to do that; on clean system. Just add MS + your hadwares drivers vendors, that is it. The other vendors will be added case by case.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Avast is my favorite. You don't need CFW just get Window's Firewall. I tired CFW and it was the worst program I have ever used...
Everyone has different opinions and experiences. Although it clearly isn't as easy to use as Avast, it provides additional solid protection. However Windows Firewall in the latest versions of Windows is good as a simple firewall without additional features, it provides an excellent inbound and good outbound protection.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
You don't even have to do that; on clean system. Just add MS + your hadwares drivers vendors, that is it. The other vendors will be added case by case.
I mean just without TVL at all. Is it possible to have only trusted files list? I did that for rather short period of time, can't say how's that for long periods. Especially what happens to PC after Windows update.

D

Deleted member 178

I mean just without TVL at all. Is it possible to have only trusted files list?

Once clean installed your OS, install your drivers, then install Comodo, and :

1- you delete the whole comodo's TVL crap
2- you open Killswitch or whatever
3- you add vendors that have process running in the background.
4- you export the TVL.

I did that for rather short period of time, can't say how's that for long periods. Especially what happens to PC after Windows update.
That shouldn't create issue, since MS (and its variants names) is in the TVL.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
That might actually be a really good idea as long as your system is definitely clean. Although I'm not sure what would happen if malware hollowed a process that you'd already listed as trusted.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Once clean installed your OS, install your drivers, then install Comodo, and :

1- you delete the whole comodo's TVL crap
2- you open Killswitch or whatever
3- you add vendors that have process running in the background.
4- you export the TVL.

That shouldn't create issue, since MS (and its variants names) is in the TVL.
Thank you, but I mean absolutely without TVL, just having it switched off, unchecked. Is it possible to run PC smoothly with Comodo's TVL completely off?

That might actually be a really good idea as long as your system is definitely clean. Although I'm not sure what would happen if malware hollowed a process that you'd already listed as trusted.
I prefer to use HIPS in safe mode - I believe it prevents such cases or doesn't allow the process to do much harm.

D

Deleted member 178

Thank you, but I mean absolutely without TVL, just having it switched off, unchecked. Is it possible to run PC smoothly with Comodo's TVL completely off?
No, with the next windows updates, Comodo will screw your system. Happened to me once.
The steps i gave you are the max you can do if you want a clean TVL and a working system.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
No, with the next windows updates, Comodo will screw your system. Happened to me once.
The steps i gave you are the max you can do if you want a clean TVL and a working system.
Thank you a lot!
When I completely unchecked TVL , I suspected such a thing and returned to checked state. I was lucky not to update the OS.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.