Question Free great antivirus for android?

Other security for Android & iOS
13 Replies 2,121 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

Studynxx

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Do any big name antivirus vendors offer great antivirus for android for free? Kaspersky Free's issue (on android) is it doesn't have active virus protection, only on-demand.
 
Majority of risks for Android come when users download questionable apps from the store or sideload.
Google removes malicious apps, but often it is done post-factum. The control is not as tight as iOS.

In addition to installing antivirus as Sophos, do the following, to ensure your device is not at risk:

Avoid sideloading apps, always download from the store. Be specially suspicious about cracked/modded apps that bypass software paywalls.
When downloading from the store, ensure you are downloading popular apps and games from trusted developers. Avoid apps like wallpaper downloaders, optimisers, flash lights and so on.
Bitdefender detected the following apps as malicious in a blog post, notice the names (none of them sound like something essential or worth installing)

* AFL Wallpapers 4K (com.contec.aflwallpapers4k)
* All (com.deadsimpleapps.all)
* App Facil (com.devindie.appfacil)
* Ram App (book.com.ram.app)
* Alamin Care CTG App (com.alamincarectg.app)
* Russia 2018 Stickers (stickers.russia2018)
* Connect Animals OK (net.playtouch.connectanimalsok)
* iHub Mobile (com.advfn.Android.ihubmobile)
* CPCC Go (edu.cpcc.go)
* Class 3 PDF (com.ik.class3pdf)
* Amin Rostami (ir.amin.rostami)
* Apyar Car Download (com.fhuchudev.apyarcardownload)
* Mega Sena (com.kacyano.megasena)
* Tie Dye Neon Weed Keyboard Theme (com.ikeyboard.theme.tiedye.neon.weed)
* Auto Refresh Any Website (studio.harpreet.autorefreshanywebsite)
* Auto Web Page Reloader 2022 (com.mdpabhel.autowebpagereloader2022)
* USSD S11 (uz.pdp.ussds11)

Ensure that your device is always up-to-date.
Use secure DNS to block access to malicious websites.
 
I've been following your posts on this topic. Given the choices you're making, I think you'd find my post on habits highly relevant.

 
With this basic set-up, I don't really worry about where I'm getting the software from. 😎
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250817_041647_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20250817_041647_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_20250817_041656_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20250817_041656_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 158
With this basic set-up, I don't really worry about where I'm getting the software from. 😎
This is a community-driven VT app for Android that's more effective and less of a strain on your system. It scans both personal and system apps.

 
Youre missing trend micro otherwise youre good to go:unsure:
As far as I know, Trend Micro no longer has any free version, even for scanning. Correct me if I'm wrong. There used to be Trend Micro Dr. Safety a pretty good app, but its support was discontinued. Anyway, with Trend Micro, any modification is considered a virus, which doesn’t work for me. :)
 
As far as I know, Trend Micro no longer has any free version, even for scanning. Correct me if I'm wrong. There used to be Trend Micro Dr. Safety a pretty good app, but its support was discontinued. Anyway, with Trend Micro, any modification is considered a virus, which doesn’t work for me. :)
Dr safety and Dr safety lite are not in the Play Store but if you have access to the APK, it still works. Still receiving updates and I'm still using it as secondary scanner.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250817-125024.png
    Screenshot_20250817-125024.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 168

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top