Advice Request Free Kaspersky Security Cloud’s notification, is it a mitm attack??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Hi,

I use Free Kaspersky Security Cloud

Sometimes (especially when I’m on Amazon) I get a notification from (apparently) Kaspersky, which says::

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We have found websites that collect information about you”.

We have detected attempts to collect data about your behaviour online. Upgrade your package and get the Private Browsing feature.

Attempts to collect data:: 6.

Ad agencies:: 1.

Web beacons:: 5.

Upgrade Package.

Try Now.

How it works.
----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------

It gives me no option to close it.

Task Manager, I cannot close this notification by using “End task”.

To get rid of it, I’m forced to turn the computer off.

In Free Kaspersky Security Cloud’s “control panel”, I have Unticked all options for Kaspersky notifications. It hasn’t improved the situation at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

In advance, I thank you very much

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Thank you everyone.

As you request, here's a screenshot

Untitled.jpg

Cheers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
And this means that Kaspersky will slowly start to be adware, like Avast?
Cannot remember which thread, but someone was asking why there was a Free version of Kaspersky Security Cloud. This would be a prime example.

These types of up-sell Ads work, as they alarm the user.

Up-sell Ads are not necessary Adware, unless they were promoting third-party software in pop-ups that did not relate to anything the user was doing.

Private Browsing is not available in KSC Free. Find out more - About Private Browsing

RaduGL

Level 2
Verified
Aug 3, 2017
Cannot remember which thread, but someone was asking why there was a Free version of Kaspersky Security Cloud. This would be a prime example.

These types of up-sell Ads work, as they alarm the user, but are not Adware. It would be a different story, if Kaspersky started showing pop-up Ads for a third-party software that did not relate to anything security or privacy.

Private Browsing is not available in KSC Free. Find out more - About Private Browsing
Correct.
It's not adware, it's scareware.
It's trying to scare inexperienced users into buying the full product.
Something I've seen Avast do too.
Very shady tactics.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I believe, because using KSC Free I have not seen any ads, that @harlan4096 is correct.
Turn off those notification settings.
And I agree with the others these are Avast like practices.
Too many free users?
Elders probably have nightmares of avast ads, kaspersky is still going soft way

Julian RO

Level 3
Oct 10, 2019
Sadly the old Kaspersky Free Antivirus has been discontinued in favor of KSC
Well yes, but it's not discontinued everywhere, the old version is still available and supported in some countries, until it will be replaced with Security Cloud Free. Kaspersky said a month ago on Facebook that the launch of Security Cloud Free depends of the number of customers in Romania. Probably there aren't too many paid users in Romania and they will not launch the Security Cloud Free version.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Correct.
It's not adware, it's scareware.
It's trying to scare inexperienced users into buying the full product.
Something I've seen Avast do too.
Very shady tactics.
no, it's not scareware, scareware is purposefully giving false detections. what kasp said was true, and they are offering the user to upgrade for better protection. it is not dishonest, perhaps annoying. the googled def'n of scareware:

noun
INFORMAL

1. malicious computer programs designed to trick a user into buying and downloading unnecessary and potentially dangerous software, such as fake antivirus protection.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
What Choice said is accurate.
On a same note, not even avast is using scareware tactis upon the first scan when you first install it.
Scummy practice no. Annoying practice yes.

Also the alert that the OP received is accurate (in terms of the information provided).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.