Battle Free Second Opinion Scanner 2018

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I know most of you should be using more than one second-opinion scanners on your system.

Care to tell us what they are and how good it is compared to the rest?

Please mention the Pro's and Con's of the free products you use.​

More than your vote, your response/comment is going to help the most. Dont shy away from that:)

Last edited:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Only 2 choices ,
but for myself , i recommend :

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) : Using Bitdefender and Emsi 2 database , detection rate and scan speed is quite good .
Bitdefender had a pretty good reaction speed (Asia, Southeast Asia exception)

Kaspersky : Billions of people useing , with the cloud service , very good reaction speed ,
hundreds of millions of users in China and Asia ,
ideal for dealing with threats from Asia or Asia pacific .

Malwarebytes : Very suitable for PUP/PUA、Trojan,and some particularly difficult threats ,
but do not using Malwarebytes as a main Anti-Virus .

--------------------

Zemana is also not a bad choices ,
it's very good at cleaning the worm threats .

However , in recent years, it is a pity that the product quality has declined due to major changes in the company.

** ( The reply from Zemana official employee )
Q&A - Zemana... Impossible!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use MBAM, ZAM and EEK

MBAM
Relatively good at catching PUPs
Not great at catching malware until it actually infects the system

ZAM
Also quite a great detection rate for PUPs and regular malware
Sends your files to the cloud for detection so you always have to have access to internet for detection

EEK
I think it's the one of the the three here that has the best detection, also able to update signatures and then do scans offline
However it takes the longest to scan and the signature updates that very long

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Special: FRST, RKill, ESET SysRescue Live
Offline - CureIt, Kaspersky VRT and TDSSKiller
Online - Norton Power Eraser, ESET Online Scanner

EEK - I can not help it, but it seems to me a little stiff and big boned lately. Also updating takes like forever.

Besides the abovementioned, try Avira PC Cleaner on full scan. Avira still has one of the better and most updated signatures.
I did not even know, they offer that, it is not listed on their webpage and the name suggest tuneup software. Going to check it out.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does not work with a limited internet (typically caused by malware). :D

Last edited:

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I use Hitman Pro and EEK. I admit I'm not so excited about the support team behind HP, but I like the product. Together with my antivirus, I think these 2 scanners cover me fine. Hitman make a quick scan on 30 seconds when the computer open, and that's it. I keep EEK just in case.

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Hitman Pro (free. only for scanning)

Hitman Pro has always done a solid job when I've used it in the past.

Other: HitmanPro

As i remember , HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert isn't free , they all need to pay for it ,
however , yes , it can free to use for 30days (trial version) .

But if the discussion topic are planing which one " free " product should keep it in system ,
i think the HMP or HMPA are not suitable .

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Yes, Hitman Pro isn't free, but I only use it for scanning (second opinion). You can keep using it for free but only for scanning and not for removing malware - unless you pay ofcourse.

Agree .
However if the software can detected but can't remove it ,
for me, it seems useless . :emoji_cold_sweat:

Of course the user can try to remove the threats by manual ,
but hope there are not many threats.
Otherwise , just remove these threats and your hands will cramp.

Reactions: Nestor and plat

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
If Hitman Pro finds threats then I just restore my system image backup or reinstall Windows. It's always a good idea to have another good second opinion scanner - even if it can not help you remove threats.

i agree this is the best and most clean way ,
but some of time , some user won't (or we say they do not wish) restore the whole system .

I still very like HMP and HMPA ,
using Kaspersky、Bitdefender、Sophos three database ,
very good detection rate .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.