Battle Free Second Opinion Scanner 2018

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I know most of you should be using more than one second-opinion scanners on your system.

Care to tell us what they are and how good it is compared to the rest?

Please mention the Pro's and Con's of the free products you use.​

More than your vote, your response/comment is going to help the most. Dont shy away from that:)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

You hit the nail right on the head. It's all about "feeling" safe. The whole goal is to have more comfortable emotions and lessen mental discomfort. One thing I know with absolute certainty is that feelings and psychology will get you infected every time. It's not about security really. It's about people having the need to feel secure and wanting to have that need fulfilled. That's more important than actually being secure.

"I feel insecure... so I will throw 10,000,000 filters and signatures at it. Ah... now I feel safe."

This a very good point and I have been thinking about this point very recently. You can have the "best" security program out there (hypothetically speaking), but if you still don't feel safe/secure, it doesn't matter, even if it's the "perfect" product. I realize it's why we see the multiple real-time programs and the many extensions (I am not arguing the merits or saying you shouldn't do this) on the various security setups out there because the psychology of more = better is very prevalent. It's because people don't feel secure/safe unless they add all these things to their setup.

In saying this I do think over time people's psychology does change with time as they gain more knowledge and experience. For the longest time I would have NEVER considered using WD, but as time went on I gained knowledge and experience (along with WD improving, but I'm not discussing that here, just speaking generally), I eventually became comfortable using it and feeling safe:) Knowledge is a very powerful tool, IMO it develops the individual's psychology one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's because people don't feel secure/safe unless they add all these things to their setup

That behavior is driven by emotions (fear) and fearful thinking (paranoia, obsessing).

Knowledge is a very powerful tool, IMO it develops the individual's psychology one way or another.

There is no substitute for knowledge and experience. They are more valuable than any security soft.

Some will claim "That's what we do in these 'What's best AV ?' threads... gain knowledge." I look at what is done in these threads and it really is not about gaining security knowledge. It is security theater, about playing with softs, about defending one's turf. Not to mention that there's a whole lot of security soft and forum addiction in there too. And a smattering of Tinfoil Hat Movement activity.

However, the entire phenomena is quite the hypern00b stuff... thinking that one can strategically pick-and-choose their way to the ultimate impenetrable IT fortress security. It's an obsession of all the permutations and testings to figure out "What is best AV ?" and then use it. It's an obsession based upon the false assumption that there is a "magic bullet"configuration to be had some way, some how, and one can find it. Thinking there is always something better to be had. Always doubting and operating on the basis of fear. Never satisfied. That... is twisted psychology. That is wholly a user\personal problem.

Once people get tired of dealing with problems, that's when they begin to change. When people get tired of expending so much effort, that's a when they really begin to change.

I get trying to craft the best security configuration that you can. But people adhere to highly questionable points of view and practices.

Most people have to learn the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feeling safe can actually be about knowing and trusting the software you have while relying on experience/knowledge to be the true security. Quite simple really.

It is so obvious that group constitutes a minuscule number of people on the forums.

Beating to death "What's best AV ?" is not very productive and it adds almost nothing to overall security. In fact, it is a fractious topic that sows discord more than it does anything else.

On top of it all there is the fact that many people don't feel safe no matter what they use. They got issues bro.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It is so obvious that group constitutes a minuscule number of people on the forums.

Beating to death "What's best AV ?" is not very productive and it adds almost nothing to overall security. In fact, it is a fractious topic that sows discord more than it does anything else.

On top of it all there is the fact that many people don't feel safe no matter what they use. They got issues bro.
Most of the people in the world are happy clickers like my wife and I like to believe that percentage is over 70. The "Share me or you will have bad luck" e-mail messages still works like a charm in this day and age. You can try to teach them to learn safe habits, but more often than not it's not going to work. Then it's up-to these software's to help them. Install and forget solutions are the best ones for the general public, anti-exe's are good for only a special few, trust me most people doesn't know how to white-list etc etc. I like to think that I'm a fairly knowledgeable computer user but not a geek and still many around me call me a "techie" which I don't deserve, and I still refuse to use an anti-exe just for the sake of better usability. I remember that the first time I registered here was to ask/look for help after being infected, now I find myself helping others in need.

Major problems in the world of average users aren't viruses or malware, but adware a.k.a potentially unwanted programs. Toolbars, pop-up ads, bundled software's etc, I can see that on my wife's laptop from time to time. A common antivirus can catch most of the malware/viruses no matter how good they are. But the nuisances that are adware/spyware is what the average users must be shielded from. Hence the need for second opinion scanner and the subjective reason for this thread.

To give a more objective reason to the thread, I specifically asked to state the Pro and Con of the software's they use as a thread starter, so this will help make a better decision for anyone stumbling on this thread. There is no word as in "Best" in this thread, it's all about choice and comparison.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
There's a misconception that we use today and it's not like that.
years ago the antivirus did not bring antimalware or antispies so it was necessary to have an antispyware. but it seems that still persists in having something more than an AV. But today if the antivirus already have integrated anti-malware and antispyware.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So going through a lot of effort to analyze and pick-and-choose "What is best second-opinion AV ?" is not going to add much to overall security. The difference between one and the other might be, perhaps, 1/100, at best.

Something is better than nothing. Let's not come to an assumption, that anyone who stumbles on this thread is a geek. Again, there is no best here and hopefully it could help newbies to make a decision instead of throwing them a handful of recommendations. Every year there could be some product that shines better than the others, like Kaspersky this year or Avast last year for free AV. That's why an yearly poll could be helpful. Most people don't have the patience to read through 100's of threads, instead they just look at a poll and choose. I work in Consumer Research dept., that's atleast what I can see from the statistics. There's hardly anything we can do to help here.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.