Battle Free Security Setup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
If I ever want to switch to free security setup this would be my choice.

For Me & My Suggestion: avast! Free + Windows Firewall + Smart Screen + UAC + AdGaurd + DoNotTrackMe + WOT + LastPass + K9 Web-Protection + VirusTotal Scanner + Secunia PSI + MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit + OnDemand Scanner

Setting For Above Apps:

• avast! Free: Enable Hardened Mode & PUP Detection.
  • AdGuard: Enabled Malicious Web-Blocking.
  • K9 Web-Protection: Customize it how you want.
  • OnDemand Scanner: MalwareBytes | Hitman Pro | EEK etc...

Please Instead of Posting which free av you will use please post the whole security setup you would use if you ever want to switch to free security setup

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I wonder (as an average user), if every AV company created their own signatures which others couldn't copy, whether I'd rather have an AV with half the number of signatures or an AV with double detection rates but shady business practises. I can't see many people giving a fly about whether or not trojan.pswsteal.abc was a stolen detection or not, so long as it was detected.

That said, I don't like the way many AVs can be misleading in what technology is theirs and what has come from others research etc.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The Real AV list:
Avast
Dr.Web
ESET
Kaspersky
Microsoft
Symantec
advertisement
money,money,money.....
Kaspersky stealing personal data:D
"Kaspersky Lab" collects quite a lot of information that verifies and stores IP-addresses of computers from which you are sending the information (and it is made even from computers that are running even with Kaspersky products off participation in KSN).
Real AV:p

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Essentially it's to do with the way the LastPass login system works, there are for example 'account recovery' options such as "One Time Password" which allows you to change your master password if you forget it. This may allow your passwords to be recovered by a malicious third party (it's fairly easy to spoof a phone number for sms verification for example). What I like about PasswordBox is that you have a master password which acts as your decryption key and this is never stored so if you lose your master password (or if a malicious third party doesn't know what this is), it's much more difficult to access your data (impossible for an average user / hackers etc).
You got the concept of One Time Password(OTP) in LastPass(LP) wrong. In LP, if you lose your master password, then there is no way to recover the account. OTP is basically you go to this page https://lastpass.com/otp.php?lang=en-US and generate few passwords and write them down. Then when you want to use LP in say public computers, you don't want to use your master password, because there maybe some keyloggers installed. So you can login to LP using OTP's that your generated previously, and as soon as you login with one OTP, the same password cannot be used to login again into LP. So even if the keylogger, captured the OTP, it cannot be used to login to LP again. I have to reiterate this again "There is no way to recover your account if you lose your master password".

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You got the concept of One Time Password(OTP) in LastPass(LP) wrong. In LP, if you lose your master password, then there is no way to recover the account. OTP is basically you go to this page https://lastpass.com/otp.php?lang=en-US and generate few passwords and write them down. Then when you want to use LP in say public computers, you don't want to use your master password, because there maybe some keyloggers installed. So you can login to LP using OTP's that your generated previously, and as soon as you login with one OTP, the same password cannot be used to login again into LP. So even if the keylogger, captured the OTP, it cannot be used to login to LP again. I have to reiterate this again "There is no way to recover your account if you lose your master password".

Thanks for clearing that up :) I still have concerns about the way LastPass operates but I can now take this one off my list ;)

salonika91

Level 1
Verified
Mar 6, 2014
i am using now:

adblock plus
wot
trafficlight
webutation
https everywhere
norton dns
emsisoft antimalware paid:i won a lincese didnt buy it
online armor
malwarebytes free for scaning

when my EAM expired i will try
for antivirus: maybe360is
for firwall online armor(i like it!) or comodo firewall(for sandbox)
Malwarebytes again
norton dns
same extensions

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
How much do you all trust Quihoo ? because it's too good to be free.
Those guys at Qihoo are a lot smarter than the staff at Microsoft. Look at all the security holes they found in IE last month. That puts my radar right up and starts red light flashing. That and where their HQs are, just around the corner from the PLA Hackers building.

The Best XD

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
I recomend this freeware:
Qhoo 360 Internet Security /Total security + ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Comodo Firewall
Comodo Internet Security
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus + ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Comodo Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender in Windows 8) + Windows Firewall
ClamWin Free Antivirus (only if you are an advanced user) + ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Comodo Firewall

In paid:
Norton Internet Security
Advanced Systemcare Ultimate + ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Comodo Firewall
Emsisoft Antimalware + ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Comodo Firewall

Reactions: King Alpha
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.