Free System Utilities Collection

obity

May 25, 2019
hi robbiie how are you?. youre good at this i have question what to use to check hdd s with i am not good at it i bhought this on sale
it was 19.99 on a flash sale i figured i have a dozen hdd s from friends & mine i can check if theyre any good or not most got black screens when i install them on a pc
would you know if which software would help me test the hdd s if they work or not? thank you

Reactions: Dave Russo

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Wonderful list but no MSI Afterburner? A new skin is added in latest version 4.6.2 in a Steampunk style which I, personally, like better than the other interfaces. If you like monitoring your hardware during games, RivaTuner Statistics Server will be offered automagically. I use HWINFO in conjunction with that, which is on this list. :emoji_ok_hand:

msiaftbrnr ui.PNG

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Anyone using this wonderful and free system monitor? A little busy but very useful. Now it comes in a jazzy dark mode. Only thing: there is an issue between this and the ASUS Embedded Controller in at least some ASUS motherboards so HWiNFO will prompt to disable this monitoring. There's a BIOS update for the Z390A but I'm not flashing it.

This dark version is 6.30-4240.

hwinfo.png

event ec.PNG

Download HWiNFO

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Anyone using this wonderful and free system monitor? A little busy but very useful. Now it comes in a jazzy dark mode. Only thing: there is an issue between this and the ASUS Embedded Controller in at least some ASUS motherboards so HWiNFO will prompt to disable this monitoring. There's a BIOS update for the Z390A but I'm not flashing it.

This dark version is 6.30-4240.

Download HWiNFO
I use it a lot

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
JetClean is a pretty good free registry cleaner / optimizer. I've been using it for several years.
You should use it with caution, as the Deep Scan category in the registry cleaner (which is enabled by default), has issues with false positives. This means that often it will want to delete valid registry keys.

There are only a few registry cleaners that are safe to use and this isn't one of them. You never need to clean the registry anyway.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
You should use it with caution, as the Deep Scan category in the registry cleaner (which is enabled by default), has issues with false positives. This means that often it will want to delete valid registry keys.
Any source to back that up or is it just your personal opinion?

Reactions: show-Zi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Any source to back that up or is it just your personal opinion?
I've used it a number of times and have manually checked the registry errors it has found, to see if there are any false positives. I've done the same for every registry cleaner there is and just about every one has issues with false positives. In the case of JetClean, I highly doubt it would ever cause any serious issues, but it has the potential to cause minor issues.

Based on many years experience on countless computers, I've only ever once seen a noticeable performance increase from cleaning the registry and only a few times where issues have been fixed by cleaning the registry.

Reactions: plat and show-Zi

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Based on many years experience on countless computers, I've only ever once seen a noticeable performance increase from cleaning the registry
I see performance improvements almost every time I use JetClean.

You never need to clean the registry anyway.
I respectfully disagree. I would have 15 GB of Windows leftover files if it weren't for registry cleaners. Windows 10's temporary file removal thing from the Settings is unreliable. Sometimes it gets stuck indefinitely.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I see performance improvements almost every time I use JetClean.
More than likely this is from cleaning junk files rather than registry. I once removed over 10,000 registry errors from a computer and afterwards I noticed zero difference in performance.
I respectfully disagree. I would have 15 GB of Windows leftover files if it weren't for registry cleaners.
No you wouldn't. You are confusing registry cleaning with junk file cleaning, which are two very different things. Registry cleaning has very little impact on performance or disk space.

A much better alternative to JetClean, is Wise Disk Cleaner. It only cleans junk files and has no registry cleaner. It does a very good job of safely cleaning junk as it can clean junk for a lot of different third party apps. Unlike JetClean which has not been updated for over four years, it is updated regularly.

• +Reputation

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
The OP asked to make suggestions of other programs to add to the list. I made a suggestion and you called the software, which I've been using for years, unsafe. Please bring arguments to support your claim or stop bashing on JetClean. If you have found that JetClean is harmful in any way, do contact the BlueSpring company and report the issues, preferably with screen recording videos. If they don't reply back within a few weeks, then you have some ground to call the software unsafe.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The OP asked to make suggestions of other programs to add to the list. I made a suggestion and you called the software, which I've been using for years, unsafe. Please bring arguments to support your claim or stop bashing on JetClean. If you have found that JetClean is harmful in any way, do contact the BlueSpring company and report the issues, preferably with screen recording videos. If they don't reply back within a few weeks, then you have some ground to call the software unsafe.
I've got no reason to contact them, since it's not a program I use. I test every single cleaning program I come across and just about every registry cleaner I've tested has had issues with false positives. To report the problems with every program I tested, would take hours and I've got better things to do with my life. In many years of testing registry cleaners, I've reported issues to only a few publishers. However, I did help IObit fix the issues with false positives in the registry cleaner in Advanced SystemCare.

Like I said, I've actually ran scans with JetClean and found that it has identified some valid registry keys as errors. This is no different to at least 99% of registry cleaners, so I'm not specifically bashing JetClean. Just because you have no issues are running it, does mean that it is not deleting valid registry keys. Wise Care 365 as an example has issue with false positives too, yet has many happy users. Deleting vital registry keys can cause serious issues, which is why years ago some computer would fail to boot after running a registry cleaner. Deleting valid registry keys which are not critical to Windows, will often not cause visible problems. For example, deleting a valid uninstall entry. The end result will be that the program in no longer listed in Add/Remove Programs, so won't be able to be uninstalled from there.

Here is example of the problems with JetClean. The Deep Scan identified thousands of empty registry keys as errors. This is a bad idea, as in rare occasions some registry keys with no value are actually needed, in which case deleting them can cause problems. Any decent registry cleaner will not consider just about every registry key with no value to be an error.

Jet Clean 1.png

I can give other examples too, if you insist.

Aside from the above, as I've already pointed out, there is usually no need to ever clean the registry. If your computer is faster after running JetClean, is it almost certainly because of its junk file cleaner, or "App Clean" as it calls it, rather than the registry cleaner. You can test this yourself by unchecking "Registry Clean" before you run a scan.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I used to use jet clean before. I stopped using it because the advertisements came out frequently, but I remember that it detected more junk than other software.

I think what @roger_m says is an opinion of registry cleanup, not a personal criticism of Jet Clean.
There is food. It is said that it contains plenty of nutrition that is good for health. However, there is a possibility of food poisoning in some cases. Even if it is good for health, it does not mean that it is absolutely necessary nutrition. Is it necessary to eat food that carries the risk of food poisoning?
I have taken it that this is probably the opinion of 00000.
I sometimes clean up my registry. I can feel the effect of refreshing.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Isn't Shadow Defender free now? I have RollbackRx on a PC here, and it is awesome. Won the key here on MTs a while back. Thx MTs. Just not sure how different SD is from RBRx. With RBRx I haven't found a way to store backups on a backup drive. Would really like to be able to do this, but maybe there is a reason that this is a bad idea idk. Haven't looked into SD to date.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think what @roger_m says is an opinion of registry cleanup, not a personal criticism of Jet Clean.
There are only a few registry cleaners which will most likely never consider valid registry keys to be errors. All of the others, including JetClean, CCleaner and Wise Care 365, have the potential to cause problems. That's not to say that they will do so, but it's certainly possible.

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.