Advice Request Fresh install of Windows 11 Pro what to do first or install first after setup?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Did a clean install of:
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎4/‎5/‎2023
OS build 22621.1485
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

Installed first:
GitHub - abbodi1406/vcredist: AIO Repack for latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes
GitHub - abbodi1406/vcredist: AIO Repack for latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes
In my case, I downloaded: VisualCppRedist_AIO_x86_x64_70.zip.

Install 1Password7 for Desktop only. LastPass for the stable Edge only as default password manager for the Edge itself. KeePass for desktop PC only.
I use Bitwarden as a backup and install it as addon only. Installed Bitwarden for Desktop without its integration with Edge. Just to see how well it works.
I may buy premium only for 10 dollars to support the development.
Update: Bitwarden as my main premium password manager and LastPass as backup paid password manager.

-Adjust Windows for best appearance.
Restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 - Microsoft Community
Redirecting

-Power Option to High.
Turn off fast startup.
-Run Windows Update
Change update settings: Turn off Delivery Optimization
Update other MS programs turned on.

-Install Driver Easy Pro.
-Run Windows Store and update all apps.
Install HEVC Video Extensions by Microsoft Corporation (paid)
Install Microsoft 365 (paid) .
Uninstall Teams.
Uninstall OneDrive.
Install Kaspersky Plus
Install Evernote.
Install Hourglass - The simple countdown timer for Windows.
Hourglass - The simple countdown timer for Windows

Your OS build 22621.1485 is outdated

Latest is OS build 22621.1635

Reactions: amirr

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would suggest after setting up Windows the 1st software to install is a good Uninstaller and enable its Trace mode.

Then proceed to install other software e.g. AV/AM, VPN, VM, browsers, utilities etc

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I would suggest after setting up Windows the 1st software to install is a good Uninstaller and enable its Trace mode.

Then proceed to install other software e.g. AV/AM, VPN, VM, browsers, utilities etc
What it does, the Trace mode? I use Revo Pro, but do not know to use it. it has Hunter Mode, by the way.
Found it:
1682794366554.png

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
What it does, the Trace mode? I use Revo Pro, but do not know to use it. it has Hunter Mode, by the way.
Found it:
It creates snapshots of your system before and after installing software. The snapshots are basically a record of all the files and registry keys on your system. It compares these snapshots to see what files and registry keys that were created when the software was installed. When you uninstall an app, it knows exactly what files and registry keys need to be deleted, aside from ones that the app created after it was installed, so that the app can be cleanly uninstalled, with hopefully no leftovers remaining,

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Your OS build 22621.1485 is outdated

Latest is OS build 22621.1635
I installed this one. Its better. I was in Canary channel and was having issues. Thanks for the reminder. This one is Release Preview channel.
1682841092366.png

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
I have a new laptop. Could anyone tell me which bloatware app to delete? I'm a novice user and I'm afraid of wrongly deleting those apps.

You don't need to follow any particular list or use 3rd party programs to do that as they can have unknown effects in your OS. Also each person has different tastes and use cases. Use your Windows normally and over time when you feel like you don't use or need one of the inbox apps then simply right-click and uninstall them.

By the way, not all of the app icons that you see in Start menu are installed. Most of the inbox apps in Windows 11 just have their icons in Start menu and they will only be downloaded and installed when user starts to use them.

When you don't use a particular app, it gets archived automatically to save space.

1682914596518.png

Last edited:
Reactions: amirr and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.