Hot Take FS Protection and McAfee,run at the same time without conflict(virtual machine)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ForgottenSeer 123795
  • Start date Start date
General Security Discussions
32 Replies 3,307 Views
MA only tracks the file being accessed
in addition to relying on cloud more than signatures, this explains why it is getting lighter on system.
You can get the same behavior by Avast-AVG through tweaking settings.
Capture.PNG
 
Conflict made both miss the samples?
Here is an example from the EICAR website. MA reacted first and blocked it. Now look at the screenshot from K below.
1752658209990.png
I visited anyway, look at the result, this is crazy, man, it's interesting, even if it's just out of curiosity. But @roger_m is absolutely right, sooner or later it could cause problems, we don't know.
1752658380920.png
 
I know, but even if I uninstalled K and kept AVG, K drivers will not be removed; so why not keep K and get the benefit of using it as a second scanner?
Yes, you can leave that one without any problems. I say both at the same time, which is not recommended. The advantage of MA is that it is lightweight; sometimes it even seems like a browser extension because it is so lightweight. That is why no one believes in MA. The GUI is minimalist and simple.
 
Yes, you can leave that one without any problems. I say both at the same time, which is not recommended. The advantage of MA is that it is lightweight; sometimes it even seems like a browser extension because it is so lightweight. That is why no one believes in MA. The GUI is minimalist and simple.
It had a reputation of being resource hog by the earlier versions; obviously this is not the current situation.
 
As far as I remember, AVG has always been lightweight. That green color never changes, I like AVG's GUI, I think it's better than Avast.
It is; nearly the same CPU load or even less than K, with a small increase of RAM usage.
Its main advantage is scanning encrypted connections without inserting its root certificate, so I do not have to disable the feature, which provide protection on all the browsers with no need for extensions.
 
Hey guys, the topic here in this thread is F-Secure and McAfee, so why you mention also Kaspersky and AVG, then keep posting comments about that?
Please try to understand, we have too many topics becomes like a mess with off-topic comments and a lot of thread pages like the other: App Review - McAfee: how bad is the worst antivirus?
 
Hey guys, the topic here in this thread is F-Secure and McAfee, so why you mention also Kaspersky and AVG, then keep posting comments about that?
Please try to understand, we have too many topics becomes like a mess with off-topic comments and a lot of thread pages like the other: App Review - McAfee: how bad is the worst antivirus?
The same concept; running two AVs simultaneously.
Since I have no experience with those mentioned AVs, I provide mine regarding what I have tried, and it may apply to other AVs.
You are right, if have no experience with the "exact" products, it is better to ignore.
 
in addition to relying on cloud more than signatures, this explains why it is getting lighter on system.
You can get the same behavior by Avast-AVG through tweaking settings.
You cannot get the same lightness with Avast, AVG or the new Norton, because it is the behavioural blocking of these AVs that is way too nosy (and works even if the entire protection is off). It constantly uses CPU and has high spikes. At least a few months ago, not sure if they changed it now.

The lightness of McAfee is not because the software scans on access, it is the entire architecture that is efficient and everything happens with minimum CPU overhead. You can’t achieve that with tweaks.
 
I think we all know that its as bad idea to run 2 AV's, Malwarebytes will work with most of them but I don't really consider it an AV.
fwiw, after seeing some recent positive tests of Malwarebytes, I decided to register it as AV on a win10_VM. (I had a license as I run mbam on macOS). I run AppGuard on VM with mbam to plug any gaps and Windows Firewall Control. No malware yet, and it runs lightly.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top