G-Data 2018 version has been released

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65228

May have been the first but it didn't take long for them to go down the ranks when the modern world arrived lol -> mean you need good support not that their protection sucks

Good protection is cool but without stability its all useless and accounts for nothing. and ignoring bug submissions is just... well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
May have been the first but it didn't take long for them to go down the ranks when the modern world arrived lol

Good protection is cool but without stability its all useless and accounts for nothing. and ignoring bug submissions is just... well...
G Data has always been solid in world protection, and has always performed well on my computer and, in my opinion, is among the top 3 antivirus, what I do not like is that it does not have a forum to offer good support..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

It's good but if you don't have proper support then what's the point? If customers get stuck they need help, if there's a bug that needs to be reported then it should be addressed and communicate with the sender so they know it was received to them/has or when it will be fixed, etc

By 'go down the ranks' I mean that a good product from a good company has many factors. support is one of them. You can have a product which came from 5069 but without good support, it means nothing

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
It's good but if you don't have proper support then what's the point? If customers get stuck they need help, if there's a bug that needs to be reported then it should be addressed and communicate with the sender so they know it was received to them/has or when it will be fixed, etc

By 'go down the ranks' I mean that a good product from a good company has many factors. support is one of them. You can have a product which came from 5069 but without good support, it means nothing
I agree, but G Data remains one of the best for me, the issue of support messes up a bit, but I do not change it for any other antivirus, since it protects me like no other. I hope G Data changes this soon, because I see some antivirus with weak protection, but it has a good support, G Data is the opposite, an issue that he sins a lot (Support)

Last edited:

Maybe I should take @Lockdown 's suggestion, and get a new girlfriend, or get back to my well-know ex who never let me down, she atleast always responded to my requests when I asked for help or wanted to chit-chat about non-security related topics, unlike this arrogant chick whose name starts with the letter G. Oh, it's all about that best BB love triangle.. (. Y .)

Once you have had enough of the stress and aggravation you'll just throw your hands into the air and walk away.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Well, G-Data works smooth on my machine, however others may encounter issues, like in software in general. If it does not works for you or have critical bugs just switch to something else that works for you. That said, you can't say G-Data is bad because of bugs; you'll find bugs in all other vendors. Just use what works for you, what does the job properly for you.

D

Deleted member 65228

That said, you can't say G-Data is bad because of bugs; you'll find bugs in all other vendors. Just use what works for you, what does the job properly for you
Of course and I don't think it is bad, but if you're spending money on premium protection, you'd expect to be listened to by Support and be communicated with once you've encountered bugs. Else, it'd be a waste of time and money. Bugs can prevent protection from working properly, and prevent correct usage of the software in general.

I could buy G-DATA products and hope to not run into any bugs, or I could purchase... Maybe Avast Anti-Virus, and know that if I encounter a bug, there's a 99% chance they'll respond to me indicating they got my bug report and are working on a fix which will be released really soon once it has been replicated. As an example.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Of course and I don't think it is bad, but if you're spending money on premium protection, you'd expect to be listened to by Support and be communicated with once you've encountered bugs. Else, it'd be a waste of time and money. Bugs can prevent protection from working properly, and prevent correct usage of the software in general.

I could buy G-DATA products and hope to not run into any bugs, or I could purchase... Maybe Avast Anti-Virus, and know that if I encounter a bug, there's a 99% chance they'll respond to me indicating they got my bug report and are working on a fix which will be released really soon once it has been replicated. As an example.

I have never bought software without checking it if it will like my machine or not, if it will do the job or not. I always put it on all possible scenarios and use all program features in order to check if I find any major issue. Didn't got any issues then I just bought it, I'm happy with it. I had a 6 month license so I had some time for good testing ;)

G DATA is trying to improve performance against fileless malware since it failed against M1.bat, M2.exe and M3.exe in the AVLab tests. I don't understand the point of emphasizing this to their beta testers since not one of them are going to test the beta against fileless malware.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Here's some recent review for G Data Total Security in 12/27/2017 by digitalcitizen Security for everyone - Review G DATA Total Security | Digital Citizen What I found particulary interesting though, was about Firewall's open port test with Nmap & Nessus.
We wanted to see if G DATA’s firewall protects you efficiently against network attacks, so we ran a couple of tests with Nmap and Nessus, two popular network vulnerability scanners. When we set our test computer to use a private network profile, Nmap found 7 open ports, while Nessusfound 6 open ports and vulnerability to man-in-the-middle attacks. On a public network profile, both Nmap and Nessus found the same 2 ports open. The only other somewhat interesting but not critical information both scanners could read in any situation was the MAC address of our laptop.
I have only seen myself bug with dublication of firewall rules, but this is something new, when I did a test scanning for open network ports a while ago, it was always intercepted like shown bellow, so I am not quite sure what happened there. :unsure:
gdata_9.png

Reactions: amico81

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Here's some recent review for G Data Total Security in 12/27/2017 by digitalcitizen Security for everyone - Review G DATA Total Security | Digital Citizen What I found particulary interesting though, was about Firewall's open port test with Nmap & Nessus.

I have only seen myself bug with dublication of firewall rules, but this is something new, when I did a test scanning for open network ports a while ago, it was always intercepted like shown bellow, so I am not quite sure what happened there. :unsure:
gdata_9.png

I can't talk about default firewall settings, but I have only used and tested firewall profile set to "Direct Connection", and it has never failed to block out of rule inbound traffic as well as to stealth ports and avoid port scanning.

hzd7UMS.png

The firewall even blocks ssdp and IGMP attempts as you would expect from an aggressive firewall profile.
TNdr92B.png

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I use G Data Antivirus, I have never used Internet Security that comes with a firewall, I do not see the need to use third-party firewall, Windows firewall is sufficient and secure.

Reactions: amico81

The Digital Citizen testers explain they set the network profile to Private. In past firewall testing G DATA never performed well. It always placed in the middle to low end of the pack.

Set the firewall to maximum settings for everything and test it under a lot of network scenarios and you will reveal a lot of bugs.

You can't even block an IP address in the G DATA firewall. The lame explanation I got from their support was DNS cache redirect. Just disappointing to get a reply like that.

There's a lot to like about G DATA. If it works for you, then you should use it. I like the fact that the user can pick and choose what gets installed. I like the logging.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Try to set real time monitoring to "Only check on execution" and enable critical area monitoring to your likening like in image below. I get real good performance with these settings.
nYlYItJ.png
I've never had performance issues with G Data, so I leave the default settings (very strong protection), the settings you've made to improve performance are reasonably safe since no malware can run, but can leave those programs persistent on system until they run. This can lead to infecting other machines, or even running malware when - for some unforeseen reason - the scanner is not working.

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've never had performance issues with G Data, so I leave the default settings (very strong protection), the settings you've made to improve performance are reasonably safe since no malware can run, but can leave those programs persistent on system until they run. This can lead to infecting other machines, or even running malware when - for some unforeseen reason - the scanner is not working.

I have 16gb ram so I don't need it, it was to bump another user who had performance issues. You can always use both engines checking on read/write but leave check only new and updated files only enabled like I do and you won't notice G-Data is running in the background.

And if you are going ot get infected you will, no matter what. Antivirus are just a little help, so you can't put all your trust on them. Emsisoft dev said many times in their forums that he personally liked set Emsisoft to check only on execution and I understand why. Since the begining that's how it was supposed to be, block the execution of bad code. Checking all read/write with no restrictions on old HDD can leave to even poor protection I can tell you that. You better check well your specific system and internet surfing habits before just locking a program settings. I use G-Data mainly by it's firewall component.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I have 16gb ram so I don't need it, it was to bump another user who had performance issues. You can always use both engines checking on read/write but leave check only new and updated files only enabled like I do and you won't notice G-Data is running in the background.
Yes, you're right about optimal performance, G Data itself suggests running the "Scan only fresh files updated" box, it's unnecessary to scan unchanged files if you've already scanned them in for recording and access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.