Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
GData is ungodly buggy still.

Errors downloading the installer. Using Trial, able to download and register. Random 'Unable to start AV Engine' after updates.

This program is a complete fiasco.
I've used G Data for years, and it never happened to me, I've never heard anyone complain about it, do not generalize just because it happened to you. An example, days ago I did some testing with FortiClient Free, and well, the experience with it was horrible, going its way so should I log into the forum and say that FortiClient is a fiasco? I know how to separate things, it was an isolated experience of mine, I know for other people the product works and so I will not generalize. But I've already noticed that you love talking badly about the other companies here, is this to try to promote the company you work for? I have never seen here and no other forum from other companies speak ill of others to try to get up, instead talk about others with respect, so I am amazed that kind of attitude on your part, i do not think anything cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I wouldn't say G Data is king of bugs, but support do admit that they are focusing on "more important things" (focusing on realtime protection components) rather than ironing out some existing bugs, also most of them are just visual/not so important ones (doesn't affect the protection/detection), e.g. malicious files in recycle bin are quarantined, doesn't detect firefox installed, some UI errors doing scans etc. Also "SysSec" (System components: banking, keylogger protection.,) and "BB" (Behaviour Blocker) components gets updated almost once a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
fanboys make a lot of trouble in the forums. that's everyday life ;)
i can just repeat that gdata is a fine piece of antivirus software....never had any problems.

Reactions: Faybert
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

It's cool that G Data's popularity in MalwareTips have grown a bit. I hope it'll continue that way, because it's very decent competitor for Bullguard and Emsisoft. Looks like @ForgottenSeer 58943 also recommends it as a paid AV solution. I remember that only users were @darko999 and @nsm0220 :) Thanks a lot for testing it in MH @Faybert (y);) Looks like it still struggles with Java malware, but so does other AV's..

It's cool that G Data's popularity in MalwareTips have grown a bit. I hope it'll continue that way, because it's very decent competitor for Bullguard and Emsisoft. Looks like @ForgottenSeer 58943 also recommends it as a paid AV solution. I remember that only users were @darko999 and @nsm0220 :) Thanks a lot for testing it in MH @Faybert (y);) Looks like it still struggles with Java malware, but so does other AV's..

I have paid licenses. Well, I have paid licenses for a lot of things.

G DATA is OK as long as you don't test and play around with it. :love:

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Does anyone have an information if G Data Antivirus version can detect and block (Behaviour Blocker possibly?) illegitimate manipulations of Windows Firewall rules? Similiar protection mechanism like Emsisoft's Windows Firewall Fortification feature? Couldn't find any sample which try to disable WF and change ruleset, so wondering if Antivirus have specific BB patterns to detect such malware if it's not detected inbefore by Bitdefender/G Data sigs. Thanks in advance. :giggle:

Reactions: amico81

Does anyone have an information if G Data Antivirus version can detect and block (Behaviour Blocker possibly?) illegitimate manipulations of Windows Firewall rules? Similiar protection mechanism like Emsisoft's Windows Firewall Fortification feature? Couldn't find any sample which try to disable WF and change ruleset, so wondering if Antivirus have specific BB patterns to detect such malware if it's not detected inbefore by Bitdefender/G Data sigs. Thanks in advance. :giggle:

Make scripts to disable and mess with Windows Firewall.

Reactions: harlan4096

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
YES G data have this specific feature..let me explain...
Yesterday i have tested a 0 day sample for which only VBA 32 have a sign..even now (no VT detections except Crowd strike and End Game). Ikarus has the sign as of now
This sample quite tries to replicate windows firewall and its settings with its Boot Helper(Changed automatically after execution)..
G data allowed for a while ..Its firewall though in (auto pilot) came in asked whether to allow / block (Block is G data default option)..Phishy
I never seen any G data Firewall USER queries till date..So yes but it depends upon
the sample , its technique, various processes it queried..A HELL of things(y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

YES G data have this specific feature..let me explain...
Yesterday i have tested a 0 day sample for which only VBA 32 have a sign..even now (no VT detections except Crowd strike and End Game). Ikarus has the sign as of now
This sample quite tries to replicate windows firewall and its settings with its Boot Helper(Changed automatically after execution)..
G data allowed for a while ..Its firewall though in (auto pilot) came in asked whether to allow / block (Block is G data default option)..Phishy
I never seen any G data Firewall USER queries till date..So yes but it depends upon
the sample , its technique, various processes it queried..A HELL of things(y)
Oh, you were using Internet Security version, right? I was thinking about Antivirus version, if it can do the same without G Data's Firewall and detect suspicious modifications in Windows Firewall? Don't have a time right now to test myself. Great to know that G Data's Firewall kicked in, but yeah, it's much dependent on malware tecnique, although I haven't seen targeted malware to shutdown G Data's Firewall, it could be quite interesting if it's possible. ;):)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Only version IS and TS.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Only version IS and TS.
Most likely then will look into adding WFC or ZoneAlarm free FW, I just dont like the fact that Windows Firewall could be easily disabled. Still experimenting for fun. Quite recently started to use AV version, as I felt it was performing better without unused additional tools and services running in background, although I could just skip installing other components instead of buying license for AV lol, I just didn't like that everytime I open UI I see on top Internet Security version, but purposely without Firewall module installed, and questioned myself where did it go, it just didn't felt right. :confused::ROFLMAO:

I wonder if there are internal gpedit or regedit tweaks possible for Windows Firewall, to prevent suspicious programs from altering with it, since G Data's AV version won't save me in such cases, or I am just being too paranoid. :rolleyes:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Most likely then will look into adding WFC or ZoneAlarm free FW, I just dont like the fact that Windows Firewall could be easily disabled. Still experimenting for fun. Quite recently started to use AV version, as I felt it was performing better without unused additional tools and services running in background, although I could just skip installing other components instead of buying license for AV lol, I just didn't like that everytime I open UI I see on top Internet Security version, but purposely without Firewall module installed, and questioned myself where did it go, it just didn't felt right. :confused::ROFLMAO:

I wonder if there are internal gpedit or regedit tweaks possible for Windows Firewall, to prevent suspicious programs from altering with it, since G Data's AV version won't save me in such cases, or I am just being too paranoid. :rolleyes:
Yes, you're being a little paranoid, the Windows Firewall is already safe enough for most, the G data Antivirus protects you very well, you have two engines (Bitdefender and Close Gap), one of the best BB in the market, email protection, G data BankGuard, USB Keyboard Guard, Exploit protection and etc. It's that old story, people use 3 or 4 security products at the same time for a threat that will never come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.