Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Inspired by @cruelsister and @Nightwalker (on wilders) I wanted to create a simple, free and safe security configuration.
Windows Defender (at default, only activated protected folders) and Comodo Firewall (at @cruelsister latest settings).
What do you think of it?

IMO it is perfect, very powerful yet light and the rest of your setup is fine-tuned, no need to add anything else.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
IMO it is perfect, very powerful yet light and the rest of your setup is fine-tuned, no need to add anything else.
Thank you (y) It's lighter on my laptop than my previous config of EAM and VS.
The only thing I disliked of my Acer laptop was the sound of the fans and now I almost never hear them.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I personally don't like to rely on comodo as my sole protection, because users sometimes complain that the protection inexplicably stops working after a while. I have seen this happen myself, although I must admit that I don't always stick strictly to CS's rules...

But you do have WD, so you are not going it alone with comodo. IMO it's a good config, just keep an eye on it, to make sure it is actually working as intended.

You might want to check out the @Andy Ful ConfigureDefender tool. He makes it so easy to use the advanced features of WD, it's hard to say no.

My two cents (again): The problem with running WD at high settings is you might have a program or two that WD keeps scanning at every launch -- and thus delaying the program launch. WD when maxed out has a bad memory. The workaround is to add those applications to the WD exclusion list, and problem solved.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I personally don't like to rely on comodo as my sole protection, because users sometimes complain that the protection inexplicably stops working after a while. I have seen this happen myself, although I must admit that I don't always stick strictly to CS's rules...

But you do have WD, so you are not going it alone with comodo. IMO it's a good config, just keep an eye on it, to make sure it is actually working as intended.

You might want to check out the @Andy Ful ConfigureDefender tool. He makes it so easy to use the advanced features of WD, it's hard to say no.

My two cents (again): The problem with running WD at high settings is you might have a program or two that WD keeps scanning at every launch -- and thus delaying the program launch. WD when maxed out has a bad memory. The workaround is to add those applications to the WD exclusion list, and problem solved.
Thanks @shmu26 (y) I will try the ConfigureDefender tool of @Andy Ful and keep an eye on WD's memory use.
How do you notice that WD keeps scanning a program at every launch?
@Nightwalker Did you tweak WD on your config?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks @shmu26 (y) I will try the ConfigureDefender tool of @Andy Ful and keep an eye on WD's memory use.
How do you notice that WD keeps scanning a program at every launch?
@Nightwalker Did you tweak WD on your config?
I noticed a delay in the program launch. It was slower than it used to be. Okay, one time. But every time? Seems like WD has amnesia.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey I reread your post, and I think there was a little misunderstanding here. I meant that WD is forgetful, I was not referring to RAM usage. :) It's an American expression.
Okay, a little misunderstanding can happen when not everybody is a native speaker of English :D
Can you elaborate on what WD forgets?

Reactions: harlan4096

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, a little misunderstanding can happen when not everybody is a native speaker of English :D
Can you elaborate on what WD forgets?
It's the same issue that I was talking about. I meant to say that WD forgets that it has already scanned this application and found it safe.
When WD is at max settings, it gives extra time for cloud lookup, and the heuristics are more sensitive, too. So you can have a situation where a certain program looks a little suspicious, and WD wants to give extra time to look it up on the cloud. Then it forgets that it has already done so, and the next time you launch, it looks up again.
That is my understanding of the issue, although @Andy Ful probably understands it a lot better.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, so I have now 2 programs with amnesia that are protecting my laptop :D
Windows Defender at high settings thanks to ConfigureDefender from @Andy Ful
And Comodo Firewall at the recommended settings from @cruelsister
That's interesting, but so far all is running great, quiet and without issues.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, so i have now 2 programs with amnesia that are protecting my laptop :D
Windows Defender at high settings thanks to ConfigureDefender from @Andy Ful
And Comodo Firewall at the recommended settings from @cruelsister
That's interesting, but so far all is running great, quiet and without issues.
Sounds good to me. If it works, it's great.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
how good is the defender against malicious- and phishing sites? just works in combo with microsoft edge or i'm wrong?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
how good is the defender against malicious- and phishing sites? just works in combo with microsoft edge or i'm wrong?
Your best defense against bad websites is the protection you have in your browser -- either the built-in browser protection, or your add-ons.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 Pro tweaked for privacy with O&O ShutUp10 and for security with @NoVirusThanks SysHardener.
Main protection is Windows Defender set on high with Configure Defender made by @Andy Ful and Comodo Firewall at @cruelsister 's recommended settings.
Using Quad9 for DNS.

Added: @NoVirusThanks OSArmor
Hope it won't conflict, but so far so good (y)
I only had to make an exclusion for Configure Defender.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.