Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Version 25.5.5.40:
Information about the program update (25.5.5.40)
Thank you for your trust in G DATA and for your feedback, which we have included in this update.
Performance improvements & bug fixes in this release:
No CPU load when the computer is inactive
Automatic reactivation of the security functions after renewal of an expired license
Automatic deletion of temporary Outlook plugin files
Significantly reduced RAM usage of the computer during activity
Perfect work of the scan server (GDscan.exe) under Windows 7
No user interface freeze when updating additional G DATA components
Boot Medium Wizard automatically updates scan engine files
G DATA Web extensions for Firefox are displayed as installed

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

GData is officially one of the lightest AV's now. I cannot believe how fast my test machine feels with this version.

Side note, it's on sale at Amazon for $26, 1 year, 10 PC's.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Might be the lightest, but how good is this program's protection for a computer user?

~LDogg

I think it's actually really good. Especially since it has good firewall with a ton of granular settings. Cranked to Maximum with the Firewall on Autopilot and it's really quite nice. Make sure Deepray ML is engaged as well.

It's always been one of my favorite suites, but generally due to costs nothing I can deploy with friends/family. But it appears GDATA is looking to build a greater footprint in the USA, so some prices floating around are amazing.

I'd run GDATA over Bit Defender, Kaspersky, F-Secure and Emsisoft any day of the week. But that's my opinion.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I think it's actually really good. Especially since it has good firewall with a ton of granular settings. Cranked to Maximum with the Firewall on Autopilot and it's really quite nice. Make sure Deepray ML is engaged as well.

It's always been one of my favorite suites, but generally due to costs nothing I can deploy with friends/family. But it appears GDATA is looking to build a greater footprint in the USA, so some prices floating around are amazing.

I'd run GDATA over Bit Defender, Kaspersky, F-Secure and Emsisoft any day of the week. But that's my opinion.
An opinion is like gold dust. Very valuable.

~LDogg

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Same, I can also approve that RAM usage and CPU load has decreased significantly with this version and even with the two engines enabled and scan on read/write enabled. People are not using GData because there's no "free" licenses or promos lurking around, you must actually pay for it, and knowing how popular is the "Giveaway" sub-sections in forums.. It's still one of the better boutique AV's around, but GData will never reach popularity as bigger names around, and why so, if they have already established good place in-home Germany made security company name, they do their own thing and live with it just fine.

Repeating, If anyone want, I can provide G Data Internet Security 120 day accounts for the 1 PC, it can also be used for the Android and simplier Antivirus version, just being generous if anyone want to keep using their products after trial periods have run out.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It would be great if they adjusted their international pricing policy. In my country I can buy a 10 machines 2 year license for KTS for the price of their 5 machines 1 year license. Not all of us use Euro/US Dollar...

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Unfortunately, it is still ridiculously slow at quarantining threats. On my test system, only around 12 threats are deleted in a minute.

I ran a context menu scan on a folder of malware. The actual scan was quick and no actions are taken until the scan completes. However, once a scan has completed and it is only deleting files, it takes way too long, for my liking, I configured it to delete, rather than quarantine threats, in the hope that deleting threats would be quicker. But it's slow in either case. This is on a clean install of Windows 10, with no third party software installed. So, there's no other software installed which could be causing issues and no leftovers from other antiviruses.

In normal use, the slow speed, would not be an issue. However, when dealing with a large amount of threats, it's unusable in my opinion.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

In normal use, the slow speed, would not be an issue. However, when dealing with a large amount of threats, it's unusable in my opinion.

First, this is dependent on the power of the machine or VM and allocated resources.

Second, and more importantly this doesn't apply at all as any constructive criticism of the product because it doesn't apply to 99.999% of anyone using the product. The general public, power users, prosumers and gamers aren't going to run across a folder of hundreds of pieces of malware under any situation at all.

However, when dealing with a large amount of threats, it's unusable for malware testing large numbers of samples in my opinion.

^fixed that for you.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Giving it a try, no problems so far, probably my only issue in the past was it did slow this PC down which is unusual. that's not happening now.

I think it's faster than F-Secure, Bit Defender and Emsisoft at this point. It feels more like Eset. So whatever their stated performance fixes in the recent incarnations are, they worked. Especially considering that is with both engines active on Read/Write, Maximum Security slider up and the fact it has a real third party firewall with extremely granular controls. (Note, do a full system scan after install and it is even faster subsequently)

Also, GDATA will combine licenses purchased from Amazon. Their support confirmed to me this is a special pricing but as of right now cannot be renewed within the portal once it expires. But they will easily combine multiple Amazon purchased licenses so you can extend it out several years at around 20 bucks a year. The biggest complaint for most people about these boutique suites that we all want to use is pricing, the second biggest complaint about GDATA was it's weight on a system. Both of those appear to not be issues any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

alv222

Level 2
Oct 11, 2019
I think it's faster than F-Secure, Bit Defender and Emsisoft at this point. It feels more like Eset. So whatever their stated performance fixes in the recent incarnations are, they worked. Especially considering that is with both engines active on Read/Write, Maximum Security slider up and the fact it has a real third party firewall with extremely granular controls.

Also, GDATA will combine licenses purchased from Amazon. Their support confirmed to me this is a special pricing but as of right now cannot be renewed within the portal once it expires. But they will easily combine multiple Amazon purchased licenses so you can extend it out several years at around 20 bucks a year.
Sadly that offer is only for united states

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I tried to give this new version a try. But after installing while activating trial version it asks for email, after inputting my email it says login credentials are sent to your email but it never arrived. Tried twice with two different emails but no results. It's been 24 hours and nothing in my email. Don't know what's wrong :confused:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I think it's faster than F-Secure, Bit Defender and Emsisoft at this point. It feels more like Eset. So whatever their stated performance fixes in the recent incarnations are, they worked. Especially considering that is with both engines active on Read/Write, Maximum Security slider up and the fact it has a real third party firewall with extremely granular controls. (Note, do a full system scan after install and it is even faster subsequently)

Also, GDATA will combine licenses purchased from Amazon. Their support confirmed to me this is a special pricing but as of right now cannot be renewed within the portal once it expires. But they will easily combine multiple Amazon purchased licenses so you can extend it out several years at around 20 bucks a year. The biggest complaint for most people about these boutique suites that we all want to use is pricing, the second biggest complaint about GDATA was it's weight on a system. Both of those appear to not be issues any longer.

I've never used it, from memory last years folks here were complaining about bugs that were showstoppers at least for the users here at MT. have they addressed significant past bugs in this release?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.