GDATA 2020 Release Notes

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
maybe it is the new windows update screwing with Gdata ? im saying my only beef with gdata is there one file protection monitor runs over
300mb memory in task manager that to me seems high
That happened to me with McAfee, Eset and Even Bullguard. After the latest Windows update, I have noticed high memory and cpu usage and longer full scan times. In the case of McAfee and Eset, full system scan used up to %100 of CPU. There must be sth wrong.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I did receive a prompt response from G DATA customer support (below) although it doesn't really resolve the issue, looks like I'll just live with it.

Thank you for contacting G DATA international support.

The icon should only appear if the device has not updated for a while, this is usually not the case if an hourly update is missed. The warning will likely appear if the device had been off for a while, as in that case the virus signatures will quite a bit out-of-date. This is as intended, and the warning should no longer be displayed if the scheduled automatic virus signature update is executed successfully.

Please note that the current version of our program is 25.5.6.20, if you do not have this version yet, please update the program.
I believe I found a solution to the problem which was resulting in periodically getting a notification from the Windows Security icon about my Virus & threat protection. In the G DATA IS settings under updates and the advanced tab, I changed the Run setting from 'All 1 hours' to 'Hourly (at internet activity)'. Since making that change I haven't seen a notification from Windows Security. I suspect that previously G DATA must have tried to update when there was some issue with my internet connection resulting in the notification, and changing the update setting to 'Hourly (at internet activity)' avoids that situation. (y)

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Well one thing I love from GData is their are adding Adware / Riskware / PUP to their database signature, that's great. They should and stay focusing on that.

GData are doing very well, I don't like their UI maybe better dark theme with red colors should be good to see. But if you are looking for decent and something new to try.

GData is doing very well after updating their product and introducing BEAST and DeepRay in their products. GData will be better than Norton and other big companies, you will see that. If they don't ignore and still improve their products. In month's it will beat some "big companies"

Anyone who reads this, if you are looking for a solution. Seriously before thinking buy Norton, Panda, McAffe, AVG/Avast is better to buy GData is much much better than before.

The negative cons:
  • They need to improve scanning, isn't fastest at all.
  • Firewall features
  • Advanced Exploits, Memory, Scripts, Botnet Behaviour Blocker
  • Design of UI

Is improving a lot, if they don't stop. They will be a big player in the market. ;)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Also another con to be added :

I see their Engine A Bit defender signatures were getting updated just 3-4times a day.
This is going on too downhill for BD..very very big difference from past.
Engine B signatures are getting 8-10 times a day..atleast on an average.

This translates...might be BD is moving away from signatures and working on web protection @network level..might be good for them but not for rest atleast to me..Signatures still may a prominent role.
Time for G data to change to another vendor may be Fortinet be the next bet.

F secure observed this and switched to Avira

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I see their Engine A Bit defender signatures were getting updated just 3-4times a day.
This is going on too downhill for BD..very very big difference from past.
Engine B signatures are getting 8-10 times a day..atleast on an average.
WoW really! 8-10 time per day was the average of Bitdefender the last time I checked. 50% decrease is surprising. But I would like a user of Bitdefender or Emsisoft to verify this. If Bitdefender is trying to be efficient yet highly effective with their signatures to cover more with less like ESET then that would be great but otherwise not a good move from them.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
WoW really! 8-10 time per day was the average of Bitdefender the last time I checked. 50% decrease is surprising. But I would like a user of Bitdefender or Emsisoft to verify this. If Bitdefender is trying to be efficient yet highly effective with their signatures to cover more with less like ESET then that would be great but otherwise not a good move from them.
We guys would have the idea since, we have tested dozens of malware packs since an year..BD signature fall out was confirmed from almost all the testers..at the same time it's URL n Phishing detection was top notch.

I tested BD roughly over a month or 2 last year..I posted almost 60-65% of dynamic detections in the sample packs individually.

So over all I can confirm that their signature threat response lowered drastically, but it's web protection was top notch..It is all Bit defender Theta engine attribution
It's detection logs are being used by BD labs for web level blocking instead of Signatures which is time taking..Sort of automation I guess
Waiting for that engine rollout in consumer products.

Bit defender confidence lies in ATC module..it's excellent...it compensates that loss any way

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Like I said above, GData is doing a good job. If they still focus and improving. They will have a top notch product. In my opinion they are doing it very well.

I don't like UI, I think it's looks like Old. But that isn't the problem. If the protection is decent why not use it?
There are some errors on translation of Portuguese in Options.

Improve a little the Firewall. HIPS and many other things. Unfortunatly isn't customizable for advanced users.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
New Version 25.5.7.26 released:
• New: Outlook plugin allows manual virus scanning
• Optimized protection against malware in Office documents
• Improved BEAST detection technology
• Optimized virus monitor
Any idea when this update will be rolled out to existing installations? Hopefully won't have to uninstall and reinstall to get it in a reasonable timeframe. TIA

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
New Version 25.5.7.26 released:
• New: Outlook plugin allows manual virus scanning
• Optimized protection against malware in Office documents
• Improved BEAST detection technology
• Optimized virus monitor
FYI... I was able to locate the installation download of GDATA IS v25.5.7.26 at G Data Internet Security 2020 which I first ran to uninstall my existing version while choosing to maintain personal settings. Let it reboot and then ran the file again to install the new version which completed successfully. Then I just had to enter my GDATA login credentials to activate the license which was also successful and I now am running the latest version.
Note: GDATA only releases their latest software versions initially to their EU sites, while the US download sites still have the older version.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and amico81

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Don't know if that's claimed, but I'm running the combo with no installation or operational issues so far...
Well I have just finished installing 2004 (clean installation) and I have run into issues while installing system updates (the laptop froze while restarting, so I had to force shutdown) but now everything seems to be running flawlessly. I will wait for a month before I install G Data and I will stick with WD for now. I use that laptop for my study and I should not even upgraded it to 2004 but I was too curious.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am using Bullguard on one of my systems and yes it update less frequently that it used to. Sometimes it show a notification (I enabled notifications for installing updates) that an update was downloaded successfully and when I head to the notification centre, there are no update logs.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.