JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm wondering if the extra tools with GDTS are worth the price difference of 10€ ?
Also are these extra tools (password manager, optimization, backup) efficient and reliable ?
Last question, is the performance impact the same for GDIS and GDTS ?

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
For me all these extra tools are useless and outdated. I have license for TS but i dont want to install GDATA, too buggy.
Just looking at the whole GDATA Gui and experience, its too old and they refuse to clean it up and make it look more like 2023.
I let my license expire and i will never buy GDATA again.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For me all these extra tools are useless and outdated. I have license for TS but i dont want to install GDATA, too buggy.
Just looking at the whole GDATA Gui and experience, its too old and they refuse to clean it up and make it look more like 2023.
Hard words considering that GDATA offers solid protection which is the main task of any AV. But yea, it really looks outdated.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It’s not just the tools, looks like some teams at G Data are not too competent. The software is too branded, too much with its own identity. Users no longer care about your branding nonsense, they want service. G Data is far from the software-as-a-service model, on the website (when you click on the product) they mention “The 2020 edition of G Data”. They still use the editions model.

I don’t see to many reasons for someone to go for G Data and not Bitdefender.

To answer @JB007 — no, these tools are not efficient. They all need a total makeover.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
It’s not just the tools, looks like some teams at G Data are not too competent. The software is too branded, too much with its own identity. Users no longer care about your branding nonsense, they want service. G Data is far from the software-as-a-service model, on the website (when you click on the product) they mention “The 2020 edition of G Data”. They still use the editions model.

I don’t see to many reasons for someone to go for G Data and not Bitdefender.

To answer @JB007 — no, these tools are not efficient. They all need a total makeover.
Is Bitdefender less buggy than G Data ?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Or consider Avast. Great protection and cheap in licenses.
See @Andrew3000 Avast tests in the hub and the latest test from @Shadowra , its protection is top notch.
And it offers clean, refined user experience as well as good customer support. It is light, possibly lighter than G Data and does everything much faster, with less muss and fuss. Another alternative, I like Emsisoft more than G Data. They put more love into the product.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
it is true that BitDefender goes with the times and goes with the progress.
while Gdata is still standing in the 90's, nothing is moving forward.
that's my opinion.
All the value that G Data adds to the Bitdefender’s already incredible engine is tools (not to say Gimmicks) which everyone can offer you (and much better) like password managers, VPN, and horrendous user experience that runs from the website to every inch of the product itself.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
And it offers clean, refined user experience as well as good customer support. It is light, possibly lighter than G Data and does everything much faster, with less muss and fuss. Another alternative, I like Emsisoft more than G Data. They put more love into the product.
For sure lighter :

1683713880229.png

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
All the value that G Data adds to the Bitdefender’s already incredible engine is tools (not to say Gimmicks) which everyone can offer you (and much better) like password managers, VPN, and horrendous user experience that runs from the website to every inch of the product itself.
Might get called out as being a fanboy, but what you're saying just isn't true. GDATA has a strong behaviour blocker called BEAST and ML/AI-based DeepRay which surely aren't just a gimmick. Apart from that I am going to agree with you that there are better solutions out there.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Might get called out as being a fanboy, but what you're saying just isn't true. GDATA has a strong behaviour blocker called BEAST and ML/AI-based DeepRay which surely aren't just a gimmick. Apart from that I am going to agree with you that there are better solutions out there.
I know what they have. And others, including Bitdefender have it too and have been having it long before G Data. Look up Bitdefender B-HAVE, Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defence, previously known as Active Threat Control and more previously, Active Virus Control. And Bitdefender now has memory and command line scanning too (command line scanning checks LOtLBin calls, it is not an option to scan via PowerShell). Or open justia and see how many patents Bitdefender have in ML, AI and behavioural analysis and look up G Data’s patents (which are almost none).

So which one of the G Data technologies is that unique to make you put up with the overall low quality of the product?

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I know what they have. And others, including Bitdefender have it too and have been having it long before G Data. Look up Bitdefender B-HAVE, Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defence, previously known as Active Threat Control and more previously, Active Virus Control. And Bitdefender now has memory and command line scanning too (command line scanning checks LOtLBin calls, it is not an option to scan via PowerShell). So which one of the G Data technologies is unique?
Who said that they have to be unique? I mean as long as their modules are working?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Gdata is excellent with BEAST and DeepRay which is its strength.
But I don't like the software because the interface is completely outdated and I had big problems.
Indeed, at my place and at a friend's place, Gdata made Windows crash completely when it couldn't start for obscure reasons!
You had to shut down the computer with the button on the central unit...

Bitdefender is very good, however, I noticed a slight drop in definitions... Even if it catches up at launch (its video will arrive after my 5 day weekend :D )

Avast is excellent and provides a very high level of protection. One of the few to block the most recent variants of RedLine, SmokeLoader or Snake.
It also blocked artificially inflated files and also blocked an injection attempt thanks to its IDS module :)

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So this is the standard you consider acceptable, specially for software that uses German flags as a reason to be proud on the front page — “I mean it works”. Well VirusBlockada works too. Just saying.
All I am trying to say is that it definitely doesn't perform or is as bad as you make it sound like. It's not the best AV out there, but protection-wise it is solid and performs pretty good in various tests. You make it sound like GDATA is absolute rubbish. If I understand you correctly, then you are saying that AV's need innovation. Yet, you are recommending Emsisoft which is definitely a good product, but it has absolutely nothing innovative about it.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Yet, you are recommending Emsisoft which is definitely a good product, but it has nothing innovative about it.
Not really recommending it, but it’s worth mentioning it in the context of G Data.

And yes, G Data is in need of improvements. Desperate need. Just the protection (huge percentage of which is attributed to the third-party engine they use) doesn’t compensate the low quality of everything else. This is what I am trying to say.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Not really recommending it, but it’s worth mentioning it in the context of G Data.

And yes, G Data is in need of improvements. Desperate need. Just the protection (huge percentage of which is attributed to the third-party engine they use) doesn’t compensate the low quality of everything else. This is what I am trying to say.
Alright, then let's stop discussing here. We are both not using it, so there is no need for a heated debate. Can we both just agree on this:

There are better soluitions out there than GDATA.

;)

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In any case, few antivirus products are innovative at the moment.
Those who innovated for me in 2023: Bitdefender (with its AI module) , ESET (same as Bitdefender) , Avast which improved Evo-gen and offers Hexadecimal detections and F-Secure which offers an all-in-one solution.

But, there is an antivirus that surprised me the most, it is DeepÎnstinct which was completely unknown and offers a first class solution! But not too easy to use for novices....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.