bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
If you are unable to mount an existing NTFS disk into Linux just run:
sudo ntfsfix /dev/your-disk (sdb1 in my case)

I installed Nvidia ISO, if you're using a laptop you can easily enable Optimus by switching to hybrid graphics mode, then you can right click an app or game to run with dedicated graphics as in Windows.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Switched to Pop_OS! everything is working as expected (including games), bye Windows!
Glad to hear it!

System 76 has done a great job with Pop!_OS.

If i could install fortnite on linux i would go to my loved manjaro distro :cry:
I hear you! It's all because of anti-cheat. It ties itself into the Windows kernel, so it makes it impossible (right now anyways) to run these games on Linux. Interestingly enough, I question if these anti-cheats are even worth it? After all, people still find ways around it to cheat.:whistle:

You should also join anti-Windows support group to fully recover from addiction.
It is very hard to recover from Windows.:(:)
Where do I sign up, I have an ago old Windows addiction!🥴😁

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
What are your impressions of Pop!_OS so far?
I run it in a VM on my Windows laptop and I am really impressed with it. It's a more refined Ubuntu in my opinion that is geared towards productivity.
It's Ubuntu but optimized for laptops with Nvidia GPU, IE: by default Ubuntu would use either the integrated or the dedicated graphics for everything. Pop_OS! runs like Windows rendering the screen with the integrated GPU and calling dedicated GPU for certain programs when the user wants (games for example).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It's Ubuntu but optimized for laptops with Nvidia GPU, IE: by default Ubuntu would use either the integrated or the dedicated graphics for everything. Pop_OS! runs like Windows rendering the screen with the integrated GPU and calling dedicated GPU for certain programs when the user wants (games for example).
I see that they have two versions available. One is Intel and the other one is Nvidia. So, for the example you gave above, does one need to download the Nvidia edition?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

For Intel + Nvidia you need Nvidia ISO, otherwise graphics won't work as expected

That is correct.

The different ISOs are for the GPUs only, not the CPUs. So if you have an AMD Ryzen CPU, but an Nvidia GPU, get the Nvidia ISO. Technically if you accidently installed via the AMD/Intel ISO, but have an Nvidia GPU it will still work, but you would have to download and install the Nvidia drivers separately. The Nvidia ISO already has these drivers built in and running, so it make it for a much easier/smoother experience.

Another distro where you can do this is Manjaro. Just download the ISO for your preferred desktop environment. When this iso first loads, you will see a section that lists "Drivers=FREE." This option is for AMD/Intel GPUs, but if you want Nvidia, just select that option and change it to "Non-Free," which is the Nvidia drivers.;)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Another distro where you can do this is Manjaro. Just download the ISO for your preferred desktop environment. When this iso first loads, you will see a section that lists "Drivers=FREE." This option is for AMD/Intel GPUs, but if you want Nvidia, just select that option and change it to "Non-Free," which is the Nvidia drivers.;)
Great! Manjaro is my preferred distro. I always thought the "Non-Free" version is for systems with a single Nvidia GPU only.
So, it should work for laptops with Intel + Nvidia combo too similar to PoPos?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Great! Manjaro is my preferred distro. I always thought the "Non-Free" version is for systems with a single Nvidia GPU only.
So, it should work for laptops with Intel + Nvidia combo too similar to PoPos?

Afaik it should, but I have not tried that myself as I don't have a laptop with an Nvidia GPU. Both AMD and Intel have open sourced their drivers so they are actually part of the Linux kernel, which is quite nice. Nvidia on the other hand has not, so they fall under the proprietary (non-free) option. Being that Pop!_OS is being designed by System 76, they may have a slightly better edge in this regard as they are a system builder. In saying that though, recently Manjaro partnered up with Tuxedo computers to launch laptops that come with Manjaro by default, so I would assume that they are working on improving this, if they haven't already.

One thing that Pop!_OS has that Manjaro doesn't (at least I don't think they have this....yet anyways), is the ability to right click an application and specifically tell it to run using the dedicated GPU. Which is also quite nice.

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
One thing that Pop!_OS has that Manjaro doesn't (at least I don't think they have this....yet anyways), is the ability to right click an application and specifically tell it to run using the dedicated GPU. Which is also quite nice.
This is so convenient, VirtualBox lags with iGPU but rans smoothly with dedicated GPU (VMware in Windows also forces the use of dedicated GPU to avoid lag).

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
21/06/2020

Using Arch Manjaro btw
  • Windscribe is broken in Arch so replaced it with ProtonVPN
  • Browsers: FF, Chromium (from Arch repo), Opera and Brave
  • Pamac is the best Linux store, everything from OSS to propietary software, snaps, AUR, flatpak, etc in a fast and simple GUI
  • Free SoftMaker Office
  • Games work the same as in Windows
  • Virtualbox instead of VMware
  • Optimus working out of the box with non-free drivers, just use prime-run (app) and enjoy

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
How my desktop looks

Screenshot_20200621_222131.png

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I'm actually thinking about moving my gaming PC to Linux too .
Linux is good until you find out a program that refuses to run with WINE, but you can always use a VM or dual boot. If you decide to install Linux, avoid GNOME at all costs it's slow, unintuitive and uses more RAM than Windows 10 with all telemetry enabled

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.