• 120GB Kingston SSD

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Finally replaced the low quality 256GB SSD that came with my laptop with a 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe, I also applied GC Extreme thermal paste and this thing now feels better than brand new. My CPU and GPU no longer exceed 80 degrees on heavy games and the fans are quieter than ever.

1603422740992.png

Old 256GB M2

1603422621204.png

New 1TB NVMe

1603422570158.png

Now I can say that Windows 10 requires a NVMe to work properly.

PD: I couldn't find a M2 to SATA adapter to replace my HDD with the old SSD and probably install Kubuntu on it.
PD2: Macrium backup refused to boot and gave me BSODs so I had to clean install Windows but fortunately you can access the content of the backup from Reflect and transfer data easily.

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Sucessfully managed to dual boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu using different drives, all I did was disabling on the BIOS the port where the Windows NVMe is attached so the Kubuntu installer will only recognize a single disk and don't mess with the Windows 10 EFI partition.

To boot into Kubuntu with this method I use the F12 key to access the BIOS boot menu (I have Windows as first boot priority).

For this experiment I used my old HDD but I'm going to buy the cheapest 120GB SATA SSD the next week to get the best of both worlds (gaming on Windows and programming on Kubuntu).

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Got my secondary 120GB SSD and installed Kubuntu 20.10 on it, IMO the most elegant and efficient distro as long as you don't install WINE on it (that's why I have Windows on the other drive 😄).

Also mounted my Data/Games partition to share files between both OS (Windows can't read EXT4) but I had to disable Windows 10 fast boot because it locks the entire drive and thus preventing Kubuntu from writing to it.

1604365335700.png

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
13/12/2020 Clean installed 20H2 on NVMe
  • Now using a standard user account as per Linux philosophy to avoid logging in as root for everyday computing
  • Removed Brave due to suspicious behavior after uninstall
  • Adobe Reader Touch as default PDF reader as per @Andy Ful recommendation (extra sandboxing)
  • No extra tools to disable services, sticking to gpedit to disable Cortana and OneDrive
  • Removed most UWP apps that can be uninstalled from system settings
  • Dual boot with Arch Linux

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
13/12/2020 Clean installed 20H2 on NVMe
  • Now using a standard user account as per Linux philosophy to avoid logging in as root for everyday computing
  • Removed Brave due to suspicious behavior after uninstall
  • Adobe Reader Touch as default PDF reader as per @Andy Ful recommendation (extra sandboxing)
  • No extra tools to disable services, sticking to gpedit to disable Cortana and OneDrive
  • Removed most UWP apps that can be uninstalled from system settings
  • Dual boot with Arch Linux
Can you talk more about removed Brave due to suspicious behavior after uninstall?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.