generalwu's Humble Configuration

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Anti-Virus: Avast! Internet Security 2016 (Hardened Mode)
Second Opinion Anti-Virus: NIL
Anti Malware: Heimdal Pro
Anti-Exploit: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free
Anti-Keylogger: NIL
Anti-Exe: SecureAPlus Premium
Anti-Ad: Adguard 6
HIPS: NIL
USB: SecureAPlus Premium
PUP: Unchecky
Software Update: Secunia PSI
Software Update: Heimdal Pro
Hardware Monitor: Acronis Drive Monitor
Network Monitor: Glassware Free
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Norton Power Eraser
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Zemana Anti-Malware
VT Hash Check
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome
Extension:
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Adguard Adblocker
- Auto History Wipe
- Authy
- Data Saver (Beta)
- Disconnect
- Extensity
- Flashcontrol
- Keyboard Privacy
- LastPass
- Poper Blocker
- Pushbullet
- The Great Suspender
- BitDefender Trafficlight
- WebRTC Leak Prevent
- Xmarks Bookmark Sync
- Tunnello VPN

Firefox
Extension:
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Adguard Adblocker
- Disconnect Search
- DownThemAll!
- Flashblock
- HTTPS-Everywhere
- NoScript
- Privacy Badger
- Self-Destructing Cookies
- ZenMate Security, Privacy & Unblock VPN

Opera
Estension:
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Adguard Adblocker
- LastPass
- NoFlash
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
Defraggler
Eraser
File and Photo backup
AOMEI Backupper Professional
System recovery
AOMEI
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/generalwus-humble-desktop-configuration.55545/

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent, very thorough config! Nothing to add in terms of protection. You're all set! :p

As far as backup images are concerned: Make sure you you have a system image of a known good state of your system, so that you can use the system image to restore that exact state in case of a software disaster (or malware infection, which is rather unlikely in your case :D).

Other than that, you're good to go. Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff (because the system is secured)

2s9jymOt.jpg

but too many RT engines and overlapping features

my advices:

- Remove Zemana AL , Winpatrol , crystal security, MCshield; all they do is already covered by Avast and MBAM.
- Too many browser extensions; more extension you add , more vulnerabilties are added to the browser. (extensions are not often security-tested)

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Lol, really too much? I still have some more extension not listed due to their non-relevant nature. :confused:

@DracusNarcrym Thanks, I have actually a copy of the fresh image stored both on my HDD and my USB drive so that I can restore it anytime.

I'm looking at online backup service to upload the image, any recommendations?

@Umbra Thanks for the approval. BTW, whats RT engine? Quick google suggested nothing.

Really MBAM and Avast covered those that you've mentioned? If they were free versions would it still be covered?

Hmm... Agree that's quite a number of extension but I find them useful henced installed them. Most of them are security and privacy related though. Any recommendation on removal?

Many thanks. :D

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Lol, really too much? I still have some more extension not listed due to their non-relevant nature. :confused:

@DracusNarcrym Thanks, I have actually a copy of the fresh image stored both on my HDD and my USB drive so that I can restore it anytime.

I'm looking at online backup service to upload the image, any recommendations?

@Umbra Thanks for the approval. BTW, whats RT engine? Quick google suggested nothing.

Really MBAM and Avast covered those that you've mentioned? If they were free versions would it still be covered?

Hmm... Agree that's quite a number of extension but I find them useful henced installed them. Most of them are security and privacy related though. Any recommendation on removal?

Many thanks. :D
RT = Real Time
Umbra is referring to security software which run persistently on your PC (i.e. "real-time").

I do not recommend storing the system image on the cloud. It's rather impractical as you would still need something to store it on (e.g. an external HDD) when you want to restore your system from it.

As far as extensions are concerned, I see quite a few with overlapping functions. For example, "Adguard Adblocker", "Adblock for Youtube" can be fully replaced by just "uBlock Origin". Cookie cleaning extensions can be replaced by setting your browsers to clear cookies on browser start or on browser exit and use built-in private browsing windows to prevent cookies from being stored, instead. Downloader extensions (such as "DownThemAll!") can be replaced with external download managers such as JDownloader or Free Download Manager.
You do have certain extensions which I do not recognize at all, however from what I found on Google they seem to not influence security as much... though you should consider disabling any extensions that are there for "luxury" over "true functionality" and keep only essential ones.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

RT = realtime, means that the softs is continuously monitoring the system ; AV engines, HIPS , behavior Blocker, Webfilters, etc... are real-time features.

AV: Avast essentially protect everything already , MBAM is a companion AV and will track of what Avast may miss; even if Crystal is a good soft , it becomes "not-so-needed" when the 2 others are already present. More RT engines you add , slower the system will be.

Remember that one RT engines scan ALL files that are accessed/modified/executed , so imagine with 3 engines:

You open a file, avast watch , then MBAM is woke up and monitor avast scanning the files, then Crystal woke up too, then monitor MBAM monitoring avast monitoring the file...

Antikeylogger: Avast does it already, ZAL is not needed even if it is more specialized.

HIPS: Winpatrol is mostly focused on registry and autorun; Avast covers those area already via its Behavior Blocker and other components; not saying Avast will introduce an HIPS in the future releases.

USB: Same as above, already covered by Avast. MC shield is good too but becomes redundant.

There is nothing wrong using all of them since i dont see any major incompatibilities or conflicts ; but you basically bloat, waste resources on your system and make it slow.

Rule one in a basic Layered security config , each soft must do something that the others can't or do it badly; unless you want take the "paranoid" way , so my recommendations becomes inappropriates and then i will provides you with different advices :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You can choose either Ublock Origin or Adguard.
If you decide for Ublock, you can also use it to replace Noscript.

Go to Ublock dashboard and click on the "I am an advanced user on setting". You can use Ublock to allow/block scripts on websites. Personally, I find it to be more easier to manage than Noscript in that regard.

"Adblock for Youtube"
The adblockers mentioned do a good job on youtube already.

"Flashcontrol"
On Chrome, go to setting > show advanced setting > privacy: content setting > plugin
Click on "Let me choose when to run plugin content"
You can do a similar thing on Firefox. Simply go to "about:addons" and go to plugin. Change flash setting to "ask to active"

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far so good to your configuration but better to be practical where trim down to main components for your realtime protection is enough and same goes on extensions.

An adblocker + password manager (if necessary) + HTTPS Everywhere (if necessary) + other are your favorites extension that align for customization and other stuffs.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@DracusNarcrym Thanks for the explanation, the reason that I have the repeat Adguard Adblocker is that it was there with my account and it just automatically sync backed. :p

Also there's this feature whereby if you have Adguard client installed the extension/add-on becomes a extension of the client called "Adguard Assistant"

Source: "Adguard Assistant"

But you're right I do have some stacking extension/add-ons, I will do some review and update soon. :D

Sadly I have some bad experiences with JDownloader in the past and would not likely to be using it.
I was looking at Eagleget though, any comments on this?

@Umbra Thanks for the explanation, can't believe that I missed that RT = Real-Time. :(
Hmm... I was under the impression that AV alone does not function as well as the rest of the soft hence the rest of the soft comes in.

I am currently using Crystal Security as a application white-listing rather than second opinion AV now that I think of it. Is that recommended?

Is there any recommendation of a full HIPS?

I agree that my configuration is quite bloated as my startup time has increased and will be modifying my config as time passes. :cool:

@
Azure Phoenix Thanks for the recommendation. uBlock Origin has script blocking features? I didn't know that. I have gotten accustomed to NoScript for so many years now and I think I would keep it. Though there's no NoScript in Chrome which is my main browser.

I was under the impression that those adblocker would not be able to block those video ad when watching you tube based on my past experiences. But I guess I was wrong.

Haha, the flash blocking extension/add-on is more convenient for me as I do not need to do the setting everytime I refresh my browsers (E.g. Reformat PC) but thanks again for the tips.

@jamescv7 Thanks for the comment, will do trimming as time goes.

Any recommendations on password manager? Was looking at Sticky Password but I'm not so sure about their reliability.

Many thanks.:cool:

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra Thanks for the explanation, can't believe that I missed that RT = Real-Time. :(
Hmm... I was under the impression that AV alone does not function as well as the rest of the soft hence the rest of the soft comes in.

if you take a look on my signature; you will see my opinion about realtime AVs and im known to be one of the few that really don't like them.
Indeed , an AV alone is just not enough.

I am currently using Crystal Security as a application white-listing rather than second opinion AV now that I think of it. Is that recommended?

yes but in that case you would better go directly for a deny/default application, like anti-executables. NVT ExeRadarPro is the best one in that.

Written Review - NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro v2.7

Is there any recommendation of a full HIPS?

Comodo FW or IS , is the best one at the moment, it covers everything but is quite not easy to use at beginning.

you have plenty of guide & topics about comodo here: Comodo

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Umbra Thanks for the recommendation. I did a quick search around and found that it's been in a less active state for quite some time and the information of a freeware version coming soon (Dated back last year).

Would it be advisable to make a purchase now or do I wait for the freeware version to be out?

Also would you recommend Voodoo Shield as an Anti-executable? I'm looking it in terms of ease of usability.

By using Comodo Firewall/IS would it mean I would need to replace my current Avast! IS?

Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra Thanks for the recommendation. I did a quick search around and found that it's been in a less active state for quite some time and the information of a freeware version coming soon (Dated back last year).

Would it be advisable to make a purchase now or do I wait for the freeware version to be out?

you have a free beta here: New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro | Page 185 | Wilders Security Forums

Also would you recommend Voodoo Shield as an Anti-executable? I'm looking it in terms of ease of usability.

i will not talk about VS since i had a bad episode with its dev. :D

By using Comodo Firewall/IS would it mean I would need to replace my current Avast! IS?

yes.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Umbra Hey thanks for the beta link. Does it support Windows 10 Pro? Because I've checked the website and that version doesn't says it support Windows 10 Pro.

Hmm... Okay noted on that. Shall give the beta a try first. :cool:

Darn, I guess I'll keep my Avast for the time being.

How do I update my configuration list? I see no option for each of the categories.

Many thanks.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Sana Hi, what do you mean by 'traveller from LOL'.

@Umbra Cool, thanks for the information. Can't believe I missed that, my bad. :oops:

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.