Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
getting BSOD
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
changed AVs, ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers
Since last month or so I am getting frequent BSODs on my Win11 (22621.1265) Laptop (Asus Tuf F17 FX706HE BIOS: 311). It's never the same error. I have attached last 2 dump files in this link.

So far I have changed AVs (Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and now on Bitdefender), ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers (now back to drivers from Asus website) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need more info.

Edit: I checked with Whocrashed it says this:
Bugcheck name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Driver or module in which error occurred: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x156f)
Edit: 2
BlueScreenView says ntoskrnl.exe caused crash. Dunno which one is right.

Edit:3 Things ruled out so far-
1. AV (happens with MB, Emsi BD, Defender & no AV)
2. Ram module (Windows Memtest came clean)
3. Corrupt system files (sfc /scannow came clean)
4. Undervolting by ThrottleStop (happens even when task is disabled)

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    210.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    231.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Solution
According to an "Independent Advisor" on answers.microsoft.com, dump files point to Realtek Ethernet driver (Latest driver from Asus). Updated them to newer generic Realtek ones with Snappy Driver Installer. And in case these doesn't work I will install older drivers from Asus website.
Link to thread

And now the wait begins ⌛🤞
Well Realtek ethernet driver was the problem, my last BSOD was on 20th feb. I am using driver v1168.11.1206.2022 right now instead of v1168.008.0515.2022 (which I downloaded from Asus website). Hope this helps anyone else having same issue.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve this.

PS I am never making fun of MS forum again, the guy there really helped diagnose the issue.

Mods can we...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe you can do some troubleshooting yourself :

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Maybe you can do some troubleshooting yourself :
I tried Whocrashed it says "IntelPPM.sys" is the cause. I don't know if Whocrashed is reliable.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You could try running the Intel Drive & Support Assistant, and if you find any update for Intel Power Management, please install it and check.
And:
In addition, you can try running Windows Memory Diagnostic to check if there is any issues with RAM. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below:
  1. Press Windows + S keys together to open Search.
  2. Now type Memory and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic.
  3. Click on Restart now and check for problems.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I tried Whocrashed it says "IntelPPM.sys" is the cause. I don't know if Whocrashed is reliable.
Whocrashed can sometimes report the wrong driver or other incorrect infos. Same with other BSOD "determination" utilities.

That said, IntelPPM.sys is a well-known cause of BSODs on Windows 10 and 11.

You can try updating that driver to the latest-greatest generic version from Intel.

You are better off by just clean-installing Windows and rebuilding the system. The alternative is to spend a lot of time researching it, trying many things and getting no solution to the problem.

Nobody is going to analyze dump files as that requires a fairly substantial setup and importing of symbol files. Anyway, you would submit the dump file to ASUS and Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
BlueScreenView says ntoskrnl.exe caused crash different from what Whocrashed said. Dunno which one is right.

I will try running Memtest tonight just to rule out Memory issues.

Edit: Thread updated
While it is an advertorial for Auslogics software some troubleshooting steps can be found here:
But first wait for the results of Memtest.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Windows Memory Diagnostic came out clean. So that should rule out faulty ram module.

While it is an advertorial for Auslogics software some troubleshooting steps can be found here:
But first wait for the results of Memtest.
Problem is BSODs occur so randomly that it's very hard to know if it's fixed or not. Before today last 7 days were without any crashes and then suddenly I got 3 of those today.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows Memory Diagnostic came out clean. So that should rule out faulty ram module.

Problem is BSODs occur so randomly that it's very hard to know if it's fixed or not. Before today last 7 days were without any crashes and then suddenly I got 3 of those today.
You could try that Intel graphics driver.

Updating the Intel graphics driver didn't work well on my LG laptop, I had to return to an older driver because of the graphics looked washed out.
Sometimes the (older) OEM drivers work best.

It also could be the latest Microsoft update, problems like this one are difficult especially when they are random.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Whocrashed can sometimes report the wrong driver or other incorrect infos. Same with other BSOD "determination" utilities.

That said, IntelPPM.sys is a well-known cause of BSODs on Windows 10 and 11.
Yeah, BSOD "determination" utilities are more of a guess work. And I don't have the technical know-how to figure it myself manually.

You can try updating that driver to the latest-greatest generic version from Intel.
I updated them to latest generic version (31.0.101.4091) from Intel last night.

You are better off by just clean-installing Windows and rebuilding the system. The alternative is to spend a lot of time researching it, trying many things and getting no solution to the problem.
I am trying to avoid doing that for now. I have a system image stored after doing my last clean install, so that's good.

Nobody is going to analyze dump files as that requires a fairly substantial setup and importing of symbol files. Anyway, you would submit the dump file to ASUS and Intel.
I have already created a thread on Asus website, no reply yet.

On side note. This is weird, my notification says ur reply was at 6:55am (IST local time) but your post says 1:38am. I don't know how that is possible as I was awake way late last night and I didn't saw your post. :unsure:

1676692373900.png

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.