Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
getting BSOD
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
changed AVs, ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers
Since last month or so I am getting frequent BSODs on my Win11 (22621.1265) Laptop (Asus Tuf F17 FX706HE BIOS: 311). It's never the same error. I have attached last 2 dump files in this link.

So far I have changed AVs (Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and now on Bitdefender), ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers (now back to drivers from Asus website) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need more info.

Edit: I checked with Whocrashed it says this:
Bugcheck name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Driver or module in which error occurred: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x156f)
Edit: 2
BlueScreenView says ntoskrnl.exe caused crash. Dunno which one is right.

Edit:3 Things ruled out so far-
1. AV (happens with MB, Emsi BD, Defender & no AV)
2. Ram module (Windows Memtest came clean)
3. Corrupt system files (sfc /scannow came clean)
4. Undervolting by ThrottleStop (happens even when task is disabled)

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    210.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    231.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Solution
According to an "Independent Advisor" on answers.microsoft.com, dump files point to Realtek Ethernet driver (Latest driver from Asus). Updated them to newer generic Realtek ones with Snappy Driver Installer. And in case these doesn't work I will install older drivers from Asus website.
Link to thread

And now the wait begins ⌛🤞
Well Realtek ethernet driver was the problem, my last BSOD was on 20th feb. I am using driver v1168.11.1206.2022 right now instead of v1168.008.0515.2022 (which I downloaded from Asus website). Hope this helps anyone else having same issue.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve this.

PS I am never making fun of MS forum again, the guy there really helped diagnose the issue.

Mods can we...

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@brambedkar59 Nowhere in this thread have I seen you tried to diagnose with DISM.
You mean this cmd "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"? I didn't ran it earlier because "sfc/ scannow" didn't find anything. DISM cmd checks for the health of windows component store and not the actual system files (It is basically the backup against which sfc cmd checks the system files). If sfc doesn't find anything I don't see the point of running DISM.
Well I ran it just now for fun, didn't find anything.

@brambedkar59 When was the last time your machine was OK? Have you tried a factory reset? 🤔
Don't have an accurate date but this issue started around a month ago. BSODs were not that frequent earlier so I mostly tolerated them. I would clean install (or restore a clean image) if this is not fixed in the next two weeks. I am feeling confident that this Realtek Ethernet driver was the real culprit.

A BSOD nuked this MalwareTips member's machine. So it is possible.:

BSOD is just a symptom of hardware/software failure, not the actual problem. Just like fever in humans is not the actual disease just its symptom. In this case the OPs hardware must be dying due to some other issue.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You mean this cmd "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"? I didn't ran it earlier because "sfc/ scannow" didn't find anything. DISM cmd checks for the health of windows component store and not the actual system files (It is basically the backup against which sfc cmd checks the system files). If sfc doesn't find anything I don't see the point of running DISM.
It sometimes find things for me that sfc/scannow doesn't. That's why I asked. BTW: I usually run DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth.
oh well ...
I would clean install (or restore a clean image) if this is not fixed in the next two weeks. I am feeling confident that this Realtek Ethernet driver was the real culprit.
Sounds good.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

BSOD is just a symptom of hardware/software failure, not the actual problem. Just like fever in humans is not the actual disease just its symptom. In this case the OPs hardware must be dying due to some other issue.
Hey man, it's your laptop and you can believe whatever you wish, but let's keep it real and factual, OK?

A BSOD results in a sudden power cuttoff - which can damage hardware. In the microseconds around the sudden power cuttoff, spikes in voltage and amperage happen - which are the real cause of hardware damage. A power surge almost always happens during a sudden power cutoff. This is a basic fact of Electrocircuits 101.

This is the very reason that OEMs recommend power backups and surge protection.

Using the source you are using as a reference that "BSODs cannot cause hardware damage":

NOTE: For the sake of keeping it real, a sudden power cutoff caused by a BSOD has the same effect on hardware as a sudden power cutoff caused by the electrical supply. Hardware damage can result both from an internal as well as external power cutoff.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@brambedkar59

have you checked the temperatures of your hardware? There's a free utility, amongst others available, I use called CPUID HWMonitor that displays several hardware-related temperatures. It needs to be run with Admin privileges to be most effective.

Upvote 0

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021

Don't have an accurate date but this issue started around a month ago. BSODs were not that frequent earlier so I mostly tolerated them. I would clean install (or restore a clean image) if this is not fixed in the next two weeks. I am feeling confident that this Realtek Ethernet driver was the real culprit.

MS lists DISM first.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If it is caused by hardware failure, I think it happens frequently.

Have you tried resetting your COMOS Clear and UEFI settings? It seems irrelevant and tends to be omitted in times of trouble, but it can sometimes pay off.

Upvote 0

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
When stable and clean mains voltage / power is supplied to a good quality PSU with proper load ratings then the PSU delivers stable voltages to motherboard even in case of BSODs when PSU load may fluctuate.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
MS lists DISM first.
Yes, you are right MS lists DISM to be ran before SFC. But if SFC is showing a corrupt file that it can't replace it usually means Windows store component is corrupted. Then it makes sense to run the DISM cmd. At least that's how I understand these tools work.
If it is caused by hardware failure, I think it happens frequently.

Have you tried resetting your COMOS Clear and UEFI settings? It seems irrelevant and tends to be omitted in times of trouble, but it can sometimes pay off.
I haven't tried resetting UEFI settings yet. Dunno about resetting CMOS on a laptop.
Edit: Laptop battery is non-removable

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@brambedkar59

have you checked the temperatures of your hardware? There's a free utility, amongst others available, I use called CPUID HWMonitor that displays several hardware-related temperatures. It needs to be run with Admin privileges to be most effective.

Temps are pretty normal. CPU hovers around 50-60°C while browsing (around 40-45°C idle), SSDs temps are also normal, and while gaming CPU reaches max of around 80°C (avg 70) while Nvidia GPU goes to 70°C max (avg 60).

This only happens to me due to RAM issues, did you try to remove RAM so clean up and put it back in? if it's same problem then try different RAM. however not confirm.
I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic it found no problems.

Upvote 0

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Don't know if this applies to your situation or will help, but the article below mentions as the first step of 11, to try replacing the iastor.sys driver in Windows 10 (I know you use Win 11) for the DPC_WATCHDOG _VIOLATION BSOD you mentioned seeing in your first post.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In my experience, although BSODs can be caused by hardware issues, the vast majority are caused by software.
And figuring out what's causing the issue is such a pain in the backside.

Don't know if this applies to your situation or will help, but the article below mentions as the first step of 11, to try replacing the iastor.sys driver in Windows 10 (I know you use Win 11) for the DPC_WATCHDOG _VIOLATION BSOD you mentioned seeing in your first post.

Thanks for the article but there is no mention of iastor.sys in any of minidump file.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

BSOD:

Some research (googling, actually) let me to suspect that the retained shadows of the drive were somehow corrupt, so I simply deleted them (vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all). Since then, there have been no errors reported, new shadow snapshots were created and everything else is working OK.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
BSOD:

Some research (googling, actually) let me to suspect that the retained shadows of the drive were somehow corrupt, so I simply deleted them (vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all). Since then, there have been no errors reported, new shadow snapshots were created and everything else is working OK.
I am not using System restore, file history or Windows in-built backup. Would there still be a chance of that happening?

Edit: I just checked, I don't think there are any Shadow snapshots on my system.
1677063310978.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
According to an "Independent Advisor" on answers.microsoft.com, dump files point to Realtek Ethernet driver (Latest driver from Asus). Updated them to newer generic Realtek ones with Snappy Driver Installer. And in case these doesn't work I will install older drivers from Asus website.
Link to thread

And now the wait begins ⌛🤞
Well Realtek ethernet driver was the problem, my last BSOD was on 20th feb. I am using driver v1168.11.1206.2022 right now instead of v1168.008.0515.2022 (which I downloaded from Asus website). Hope this helps anyone else having same issue.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve this.

PS I am never making fun of MS forum again, the guy there really helped diagnose the issue.

Mods can we mark the thread as solved and I can't seem to edit the thread (just to put the solution in it). Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.