Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
getting BSOD
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
changed AVs, ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers
Since last month or so I am getting frequent BSODs on my Win11 (22621.1265) Laptop (Asus Tuf F17 FX706HE BIOS: 311). It's never the same error. I have attached last 2 dump files in this link.

So far I have changed AVs (Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and now on Bitdefender), ran sfc /scannow, updated graphics drivers (now back to drivers from Asus website) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you need more info.

Edit: I checked with Whocrashed it says this:
Bugcheck name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Driver or module in which error occurred: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x156f)
Edit: 2
BlueScreenView says ntoskrnl.exe caused crash. Dunno which one is right.

Edit:3 Things ruled out so far-
1. AV (happens with MB, Emsi BD, Defender & no AV)
2. Ram module (Windows Memtest came clean)
3. Corrupt system files (sfc /scannow came clean)
4. Undervolting by ThrottleStop (happens even when task is disabled)

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    210.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    231.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Solution
According to an "Independent Advisor" on answers.microsoft.com, dump files point to Realtek Ethernet driver (Latest driver from Asus). Updated them to newer generic Realtek ones with Snappy Driver Installer. And in case these doesn't work I will install older drivers from Asus website.
Link to thread

And now the wait begins ⌛🤞
Well Realtek ethernet driver was the problem, my last BSOD was on 20th feb. I am using driver v1168.11.1206.2022 right now instead of v1168.008.0515.2022 (which I downloaded from Asus website). Hope this helps anyone else having same issue.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve this.

PS I am never making fun of MS forum again, the guy there really helped diagnose the issue.

Mods can we...

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
See my above post, it's same steps.
There may or may not be be an updated driver which fixes this. You could try using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

If that finds no updates, I would suggest running Smart Driver Manager. The free version lets you update drivers without paying and it does a better job of finding the right drivers than just about every other driver update tool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There may or may not be be an updated driver which fixes this. You could try using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

If that finds no updates, I would suggest running Smart Driver Manager. The free version lets you update drivers without paying and it does a better job of finding the right drivers than just about every other driver update tool.
Already ran Intel DSA, it showed update for generic Intel graphics drivers & I was on Asus drivers (OEM version). So installed the latest version from Intel (31.0.101.4091) over it.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Already ran Intel DSA, it showed update for generic Intel graphics drivers & I was on Asus drivers (OEM version). So installed the latest version from Intel (31.0.101.4091) over it.
The graphics drivers most likely have nothing to do with this. You may need newer chipset drivers. Or maybe there is a specific Intel Processor Power Management driver.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The graphics drivers most likely have nothing to do with this. You may need newer chipset drivers. Or maybe there is a specific Intel Processor Power Management driver.
Where do I download newer chipset or Intel Processor Power Management drivers from?
I ran a scan with Smart Driver Manager & it showed neither of those 2 driver updates but it showed 17 other updates.

Edit: In those 17 updates there was an update for "Intel Power engine plug-in", I don't think it installed correct driver, this is a 11th gen CPU (i5-11400H) and it installed 4000 U/Y series drivers for it. This is why I don't even try to use 3rd party driver update utilities.
1676715532288.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Where do I download newer chipset or Intel Processor Power Management drivers from?
If you open Device Manager, is there an Intel Processor Power Management device shown in System Devices or elsewhere? If there is, double click on it, go to the Details tab and select Hardware IDs. Now right click on the Hardware ID, select copy and then paste it in a reply. I may be able to find somewhere to download a newer driver for you.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you open Device Manager, is there an Intel Processor Power Management device shown in System Devices or elsewhere? If there is, double click on it, go to the Details tab and select Hardware IDs. Now right click on the Hardware ID, select copy and then paste it in a reply. I may be able to find somewhere to download a newer driver for you.
I am not seeing any entry with that name.

1.png2.png

Edit: Here is the complete list of drivers installed in the system. Couldn't upload on MT so uploaded it on Mediafire.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I am not seeing any entry with that name.
That's a shame. You best bet may contacting ASUS support. I have found that Dell provide a download for Intel Processor Power Management Utility. But I don't know if that has any relevance to your problem or not.

You can try disabling the driver and see if being disabled affects your system adversely or not and see if it solves the BSOD problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
remove IntelPPM.sys using driver store explorer (RAPR)
Not a good idea to remove system files without knowing what they do. And on top of that I am not seeing that file in RAPR.

That's a shame. You nest bet may contacting ASUS support. I have found that Dell provide a download for Intel Processor Power Management Utility. But I don't know if that has any relevance to your problem or not.

You try disabling the driver and see if being disabled affects your system adversely or not and see if it solves the BSOD problem.
I will try it next time I get a BSOD (yesterday I got 6), and I haven't got any since yesterday. Already made a thread on Asus support website no reply yet.

Two things have changed since last BSOD, I updated Intel Graphics driver and reinstalled Realtek Ethernet driver (After installing v1168.8.515.2022 from Asus, Windows Update tried to install the same version. I had to hide that update) on advice of another redditor.

So let's see how long it takes for next BSOD 🤞

Edit: I meant "since last BSOD" not "since yesterday"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
WhoCrashed helped me solve some BSOD problems indeed. But also DriverEasy & DriverMax helped a lot, because a faulty driver was the culprit.
90% of the time it doesn't even tell you what caused the crash 🤣 (this is one of those rare cases)

"Hey Whocrashed, so who caused the crash?"

Btw crash free since 2 days 🥳 🥳

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use the Professional version which adds some more info to the report.
Can you try attached dump files in the OP? See if you can find some more useful info.
Eventually, one BSOD too many, and you'll end up with a black-screen system that is nuked.

A lot of BSODs is very bad for the system's hardware.
Exactly what I am trying to avoid.
Edit: I meant trying to avoid BSOD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Upvote 1

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Btw crash free since 2 days 🥳 🥳
Well that didn't last long, got another BSOD just now 😥
Uninstalled "Armoury Crate", saw some app crashes related to it. Shooting in the dark at this point.

1676896307608.png1676896535825.png

Edit: Armoury Crate also makes some changes to Windows power management, so it could be related.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
According to an "Independent Advisor" on answers.microsoft.com, dump files point to Realtek Ethernet driver (Latest driver from Asus). Updated them to newer generic Realtek ones with Snappy Driver Installer. And in case these doesn't work I will install older drivers from Asus website.
Link to thread

And now the wait begins ⌛🤞

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.