Advice Request Gmail & Yubi key 2fa?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
@simmerskool Here where I live the Yubikey costs $89 each, and I've been searching the internet on amazon costs $74 if it is durable is not expensive a Yubikey, taking into account the security that will provide you.

Yubico should really offer regional pricing for YubiKeys. It's a pet peeve of mine that people are priced out of security (insert almost every other commodity in the world) just because they are on a lower income or poor exchange rate.

I would check eBay US site and see if they have a discount code so you can get them cheaper, usually they run specials around this time of year.

Also don't be afraid to contact Yubico directly and ask for a discount code or general discount and explain your economic situation and where you're from. I've found most decent security companies want to help people despite how much or how little they make and are willing to help where they can.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yubico should really offer regional pricing for YubiKeys. It's a pet peeve of mine that people are priced out of security (insert almost every other commodity in the world) just because they are on a lower income or poor exchange rate.

I would check eBay US site and see if they have a discount code so you can get them cheaper, usually they run specials around this time of year.

Also don't be afraid to contact Yubico directly and ask for a discount code or general discount and explain your economic situation and where you're from. I've found most decent security companies want to help people despite how much or how little they make and are willing to help where they can.
Good advice & agree "people are priced out of security... just because they are on a lower income"

Reactions: piquiteco

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I was going on vague memory as to cost for my yubikeys, it was long enough ago, I have no absolute memory or receipt to confirm what I paid. I do recall I purchased from yubi, and my yubi keys works with my iphone too. I vaguely recall $90, and was thinking $45 each, but it could have been $90 each! for a total of $180!! I bought 2 because I'm pretty sure google requires 2 in order to use a yubikey for 2fa. It bothers me that when you login to your google account, there's an option to disable for this device (paraphrase) and the default is checked to disable which makes no sense to me. Other sites that use yubikey have the same option BUT their default is unchecked meaning if you take no action, ie, do not check that box, it continues to require the yubikey. IMO google login has this option setup backwards.
If I understand what you said, it got inconvenient, whenever you log into your Google account, you will need to enter your yubikey, as a second factor to authenticate? even though it marks your device as trusted? Yes, that's $45 per unit, I just checked on the yubikey website. (y)

1671502433605.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.